It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:48

Bosch GKF 600 router not running smooth

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Bosch GKF 600 router not running smooth

Postby Johnsbegood » 26 Apr 2015, 17:03

Hi guys
Came over here from woodwork.co.uk hoping there may be someone to help out with my bosch GKF 600 Palm router. Basically it's not getting up to speed. When u turn it on it flys away but struggles after a few seconds and there a smell of burning from it. Also it slows down and speeds up very intermittenly.
I've checked brushes and there fine and the windings after testing them also see ok. I got between 0.74-0.82 ohms on each winding. I've also checked continuity on the field windings and they both R the same.
Could it be the capacitor? Or R the windings did in the armature/field even though they measure ok?!
Thanks
Paul
Johnsbegood
Seedling

Name:

Re: Bosch GKF 600 router not running smooth

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2015, 18:15

Welcome to the forum Paul. We're a friendly bunch here. Not that they aren't friendly over on woodworkuk, of course. Mind you that 'thatsnotafestool' is a bit raucous at times ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Apr 2015, 18:51

I'm guessing this model has speed control? If so check that if there is sensing magnet on the shaft that it is firmly attached. Trend/DW router are famous for theirs coming off.

However the burning smell is the main clue. These machines use spawn of satan - brush motors and so if there is a capacitor then it has no material function in the operation of the motor so forget that.

It is almost certain that one of the windings has failed and the most likely is the armature. This is not testable or repairable and can be replaced for around £45.
A much lower probability is that it is the field coils again not testable so just replace.

Bosch do a complete repair service which is one way to get someone else to work out what is wrong and as you are possibly trade this might be a preferred option to get a repair with a guarantee.

HTH

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Johnsbegood » 26 Apr 2015, 21:55

thanks 9fingers. the router is only 2 years old and should be still under the 3 year warranty but dont think its been registered when purchased as didnt think a "Bosch" tool would go wrong but it has. I'll ring their service department tomoz morning and see what the deal is.
yes i'm in the trade, the electrical trade of all things but i do use things like mitre saws, routers and other wood working tools, i'm by no means a carpenter though ;)
just wanted to put this issue out there to see what i could find out by someone more knowledgeable than myself. the cheapest i can get an armature for is about £51 delivered if its is actually that?!
weirdly enough i have a bosch wall chaser, a glorified angle grinder with two blades and that struggles sometimes when chasing a wall. i may get them to look at that too.
not cheap running these tools!! :?
Johnsbegood
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Apr 2015, 22:04

As an electrician type you will know the structure of an armature winding. It is virtually impossible to diagnose a suspect armature as a shorted turn of two just won't show up on resistance measurements.
There used to be a machine called a growler which I never seen in the flesh but this created an ac field and a defective armature would "growl" if placed nearby due to the high current in the shorted turns.

I hate brush motors with a passion because you
a) can't measure what is wrong and
b) can't realistically repair them.
The makers know this and charge high for replacements.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Johnsbegood » 26 Apr 2015, 22:34

A growler? I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those.
Yeah I've done exams on motors to pass my electricians exams but I do struggle with them to a certain extent. Mainly as I have many other hobbies and I don't tend to come across motors I could actually repair that would be financially viable.
I'm hoping bosch will have a look at it and tell me what's wrong and maybe repair it for free as its only two years old.
Thanks again Bob, I'll let u know the outcome.
Johnsbegood
Seedling

Name:

Postby Johnsbegood » 12 May 2015, 19:13

Well bosch have fixed the router for free. I'm not sure what they have done. The brushes, noise suppressor and field still look the same. The armature looks slightly different though so maybe changed that?!
Thanks for the help and info though.
Paul
Johnsbegood
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2015, 19:27

Glad to hear that you have got it all sorted Paul. Not the first time I've heard of Bosch fixing things free of charge.
Good for customer relations.
The armature is the most likely culprit as they tends to have the most design compromises compared to the field coil. Brushes just work usually unless the motor has over heated and then the springs can loose pressure and plastic brush boxes melt - quality tools will use brass boxes.

Happy routing!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking