It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:29

TH410 Thicknesser Powercord

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

TH410 Thicknesser Powercord

Postby riclepp » 12 May 2015, 19:34

Hi All

I am really struggling to find where I can buy the 16am powercord plug end and the socket that sits on the machine. Axminster are not helpful to say the least. I know there is an issue in that area as the machine does not run via the 16amp cable. So if anyone knows where I can purchase this, I would be very grateful for any advise.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Re: TH410 Thicknesser Powercord

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2015, 20:55

Richard,

Please can you explain the problem more clearly.
I assume you have a single phase machine?
You say "I know there is an issue in that area as the machine does not run via the 16amp cable"
Why?
16amp standard fittings are very common so what is peculiar about yours that make them difficult??
You should need a cable mounting socket (holes) at the machine end and the wall end needs a cable plug (pins) going into a wall mounted outlet (also with holes). 2.5mm^2 flexible cable should be fine to connect them.
The terminals inside 16amp connectors are designed to take 2.5mm^2 wires.
You will also need the wall socket to be powered from a type C circuit breaker, C20 to maximise chance of success.
Happy to help but confused by your problem as presented.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby riclepp » 12 May 2015, 21:11

9fingers wrote:Richard,

Please can you explain the problem more clearly.
I assume you have a single phase machine?
You say "I know there is an issue in that area as the machine does not run via the 16amp cable"
Why?
16amp standard fittings are very common so what is peculiar about yours that make them difficult??
You should need a cable mounting socket (holes) at the machine end and the wall end needs a cable plug (pins) going into a wall mounted outlet (also with holes). 2.5mm^2 flexible cable should be fine to connect them.
The terminals inside 16amp connectors are designed to take 2.5mm^2 wires.
You will also need the wall socket to be powered from a type C circuit breaker, C20 to maximise chance of success.
Happy to help but confused by your problem as presented.
Bob

Hi Bob

the 16 amp power cord has the normal 3 pin plug on the end I plug into the comando socket on the wall, the other end (machine plug) is a two pin and plugs into the socket on the machine and from what I can see there is a problem somewhere within those two items. If I remove the machine socket and put a normal plug on it and the put a lead from that into the 16amp socket it starts to fire up but then pops the fuse (as it should), but when I reconnect the machine socket and connect it via the 16 amp lead and socket and switch on ....nothing at all. So with my very, very sparse knowledge about electrics I am assuming it is either the 16amp power cord or the machine socket that is an issue. So I am assuming it would be far easier to replce them with new. But trying to find the 2 pin socket and plug is proving elusive to say the least and axminster don't stock them and I am looking at least 6 to 8 weeks for a replacement if they can get them.

Hope that makes more sense.

Cheers

Richard
riclepp
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2015, 21:26

Hi Richard,

The machine connection is puzzling me. It must have three connections on it in order to earth the machine??
Yet you call it two pin?
Sounds like it not a commando style connection
Can to post a photo of the two halves?

It sounds like you are prepared to fit a new commando panel mounted plug on the machine so that might be a solution.
However I do not understand why you say it blows a fuse "as it should" (what size and do you mean fuse or MCB and is it a type B or C)

I'm not trying to be difficult but in the absence of explicit detail, I'm struggling to understand. I've looked at the online manual but that does not help me.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2015, 21:31

Is it a Schuko connector? look on google images to see if it looks the same?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2015, 21:43

If it is a Schuko, I suggest you get rid of it and fit a commando connector.

The panel mounting plug in the commando series is the rarest of the range but there is one here, post free
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pe1663 ... dp/PL08949

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby riclepp » 12 May 2015, 22:13

9fingers wrote:Hi Richard,

The machine connection is puzzling me. It must have three connections on it in order to earth the machine??
Yet you call it two pin?
Sounds like it not a commando style connection
Can to post a photo of the two halves?

It sounds like you are prepared to fit a new commando panel mounted plug on the machine so that might be a solution.
However I do not understand why you say it blows a fuse "as it should" (what size and do you mean fuse or MCB and is it a type B or C)

I'm not trying to be difficult but in the absence of explicit detail, I'm struggling to understand. I've looked at the online manual but that does not help me.

Bob

Thanks Bob

I took off the socket on the machine and put a normal 13 amp on and then fitted a cable with a female extension lead socket and a 16amp plug on the other end hence the 13amp fuse kept blowing and the 16amp B type mcb kept popping.

And the Schuko (type F) looks like the power cord end that goes into the machine. But by the sounds of it from what you are saying I need to get rid of it. I have just ordred a 16 amp c type mcb for the consumer unit as it has a 16 amp b type. The wires in the machine are the normal earth, live and nutrual, so I assume it would be easy to switch over and make up some new 2.5 mm wire and two commando plugs then?

Cheers

Richard
riclepp
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2015, 22:20

I reckon that is your best bet Richard. Scheppach use those Schuko connectors and they are difficult to find in UK. I never feel the earth connection is very good either.
I can't understand why Axi are specifying non commando connectors for a UK machine supplier.
Sticking with Commando connectors should make like a lot easier all round.
A C16 breaker should be OK but if you are still getting nuisance tripping then a C20 should stop it.

hth

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby riclepp » 12 May 2015, 22:27

Hi Bob

Brilliant, many thanks for your assistance. As long as I can get it working is all I care about, oh and no shocks either :)
riclepp
New Shoots

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking