It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 12:04

3 phase workshop wiring

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Re: 3 phase workshop wiring

Postby Robert » 19 Apr 2016, 09:52

I'm not doubting you Bob it is just something I've never come across. Does it ever happen that a 3 phase motor is run in star on full power at 700V ?

Can't say I've seen that many motor plates but I've never seen 700 odd volts on one.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 19 Apr 2016, 10:09

Robert wrote:I'm not doubting you Bob it is just something I've never come across. Does it ever happen that a 3 phase motor is run in star on full power at 700V ?

Can't say I've seen that many motor plates but I've never seen 700 odd volts on one.

I think there are still some areas in Canada that distribute 3 phase at these sort of voltages - maybe legacy installations but if star delta start were used there, the other voltage marking would have to be 700 x root3.

I've not got any motors here rated at 5hp or more (which is the power threshold when star delta starting is usually needed) so I can't take a photo for you.
Google photos that I've found have not got the resolution to read the plates.

Bob
Thanks to the action of Photobucket, my past postings have lost their photographs. PM me for specific photos.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Old Oak

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 22 Apr 2016, 09:30

Whilst looking through my collection of old junk I realised that some of it seems to be new but really old stock. I got a load of stuff from the daughter of a motor repair guy up in the highlands of Scotland. She was clearing his old stores out after he passed away. I found one of her adverts on ebay 2 years after she had started clearing stuff.
I found this really heavy duty isolator which has never been used

This starter is pretty cool

This single phase starter is a weird one

wallace
New Shoots

Name:

Previous

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking