It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:14

Photobucket Fallout, Image Hosting, Possible solution

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Photobucket Fallout, Image Hosting, Possible solution

Postby Andyp » 04 Jul 2017, 16:31

Hi all,
Before all the ex-Photobucket users commit to new hosting sites we, well Mark, is looking at a possible solution by hosting images within the forum's databases.

Bear with us. This make take a week or so to sort out as Mark is a busy chap who, on top of works, kids and running the forum is now taking lessons on how to use a stepladder safely :)

Thankyou for your patience and continued support. We will update this thread as soon as we can.

The Mods
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Photobucket Fallout, Image Hosting, Possible solution

Postby justaskin » 05 Jul 2017, 06:57

Hi Andy
Yes I too have the PB problem on my iMac. Being a skinflint at heart, its a pity I will drop it, having just got to grips with your courses of instruction. :cry:

Best wishes
Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Commander » 07 Jul 2017, 08:05

Does anyone else use Imgur.com? Does what its supposed to so I'm happy with it.
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jul 2017, 08:28

Commander wrote:Does anyone else use Imgur.com? Does what its supposed to so I'm happy with it.

Imgur certainly works but 3rd party hosting is against their terms. So far they are not enforcing them.
Fingers crossed for you
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 08:37

Please folks. Do NOT use a free site for your photos on the forum. The writing is on the wall. To provide free hosting does not generate any revenue for these companies and is an unsustainable long-term business model. They will ALL go the way of Photobucket sooner or later. Your threads and posts with linked images will become meaningless.

Flickr costs 13 cents a day.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 11:14

RogerS wrote:

Flickr isn't for everyone though. I've had it for about 10 yrs , pro in the early days, but it wouldn't be my go to choice jut now.
And what's to say, they don't change their terms .. again !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 11:38

Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Flickr isn't for everyone though. I've had it for about 10 yrs , pro in the early days, but it wouldn't be my go to choice jut now.

The point is to stump up the few cents for a paid for site. And yes, they might change their T's and C's but you're in a much better position if you have a paid for sub.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 13:02

RogerS wrote:
Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote:

The point is to stump up the few cents for a paid for site. And yes, they might change their T's and C's but you're in a much better position if you have a paid for sub.

with the PB thing, I'd be taking a step back, before paying for anything .. use free to post .. and know that it may not be permanent .. for now ..The likes of Flickr would be a PITA to move from , if they stopped playing too.

Remember PB has been to go to for many years, for forum sharing. So the other photo sites mot not want the huge uptake of new photo sharers
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jul 2017, 13:06

Tusses wrote:with the PB thing, I'd be taking a step back, before paying for anything .. use free to post .. and know that it may not be permanent .. for now ..The likes of Flickr would be a PITA to move from , if they stopped playing too.

Remember PB has been to go to for many years, for forum sharing. So the other photo sites mot not want the huge uptake of new photo sharers

The issue is though, I'm thinking from a forum perspective. It's okay everyone using free hosting because it works for 'them' but what about the forum? We risk being in a situation where all the free hosts do the same thing then the forum is left with a load of useless threads where the pics don't work, and people not wanting to spend the time to update them.

Two different sides/angles to this issue that need to be considered.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 13:08

TrimTheKing wrote:
Tusses wrote:with the PB thing, I'd be taking a step back, before paying for anything .. use free to post .. and know that it may not be permanent .. for now ..The likes of Flickr would be a PITA to move from , if they stopped playing too.

The issue is though, I'm thinking from a forum perspective. It's okay everyone using free hosting because it works for 'them' but what about the forum? We risk being in a situation where all the free hosts do the same thing then the forum is left with a load of useless threads where the pics don't work, and people not wanting to spend the time to update them.

Cheers
Mark

:text-+1: :text-goodpost:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 13:31

TrimTheKing wrote:

Cheers
Mark

I was just suggesting that the paid for options , like flickr, or whoevery, might go the same way as the free ones .. why wouldn't they ? just because you pay, they can just say, pay more or opt out. AFAIK Flickr is paid for, as you can keep full res images on there, not because you can 3rdy party their space ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jul 2017, 13:43

Tusses wrote:I was just suggesting that the paid for options , like flickr, or whoevery, might go the same way as the free ones .. why wouldn't they ? just because you pay, they can just say, pay more or opt out. AFAIK Flickr is paid for, as you can keep full res images on there, not because you can 3rdy party their space ?

Yep fully agree. I think the best way, should I be able to make it work, is to have them hosted on the forum that way the content stays, but as you've mentioned before, that can hold its own challenges for some.

I don't think there's a perfect answer, but providing people are happy to host in the forum then selfishly, for forum health, I think that's the way to go.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 14:35

TrimTheKing wrote:
Tusses wrote:I was just suggesting that the paid for options , like flickr, or whoevery, might go the same way as the free ones .. why wouldn't they ? just because you pay, they can just say, pay more or opt out. AFAIK Flickr is paid for, as you can keep full res images on there, not because you can 3rdy party their space ?

Yep fully agree. I think the best way, should I be able to make it work, is to have them hosted on the forum that way the content stays, but as you've mentioned before, that can hold its own challenges for some.

I don't think there's a perfect answer, but providing people are happy to host in the forum then selfishly, for forum health, I think that's the way to go.

Cheers
Mark

As long as the forum php whatever they are keep to the rules too.
I was on a VW forum for about 10 years, that decided it wasn't work an upgrade about 4-5 years ago. And that was with donations.

Tough one.

And of coarse, everyone has to be on board and host with the forum !

I got used to the ease of having the PB app on my phone (which I don't use for internet) , just shooting and sending to PH to use where ever I like. Forums/ebay / etc. Ebay are stopping that too . getting away from self hosted images...

all change ATM.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jul 2017, 14:53

All valid points and agree 100%.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 15:08

With a paid hosting site then you have much more indirect leverage then on a free site. On a free site, they change the rules, you leave. They couldn't care less.

But with a paid account, they change the rules and if you (and many others leave) then that is a large or can be a large dip in their revenues and so give pause for thought.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 16:14

RogerS wrote:With a paid hosting site then you have much more indirect leverage then on a free site. On a free site, they change the rules, you leave. They couldn't care less.

But with a paid account, they change the rules and if you (and many others leave) then that is a large or can be a large dip in their revenues and so give pause for thought.

to an extent yes.
but most of the long lived photo sites aren't/weren't used much for 3rd party hosting, apart from the odd image share to friends etc. .. so it's no big deal to the long term users/payers if they can't 3rd party any more.
When I paid for Flickr Pro, I didn't image link at all .. so would have kept on paying .

fine if you are already a user, but I wouldn't sign up (paid for) with anyone for a while , until the dust settles.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 16:53

Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote:With a paid hosting site then you have much more indirect leverage then on a free site. On a free site, they change the rules, you leave. They couldn't care less.

to an extent yes.
but most of the long lived photo sites aren't/weren't used much for 3rd party hosting, apart from the odd image share to friends etc. .. so it's no big deal to the long term users/payers if they can't 3rd party any more.
When I paid for Flickr Pro, I didn't image link at all .. so would have kept on paying .

fine if you are already a user, but I wouldn't sign up (paid for) with anyone for a while , until the dust settles.

The key phrase you've used is "long lived". But the internet has changed with social media like FB and Twitter) and forums such as ours (which is a form of social media). So the dynamics have changed and, as Mark has said, we're looking at things from the forum's perspective.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 17:02

true . and it's changing faster and faster .. especially now it's all moving to mobile phones*

Most forums these days are moving to FB groups .. which personally I don't like as much :(
Join a FB group .. fair enough, but it's nothing like a "propa" forum !

But then again , I liked the news groups too , before they all disappeared

* which reminds me about your rant on the ever shrinking width of desktop web pages .. they should make a screen mode so we can just mount our monitors portrait instead of landscape .. sorted :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 18:03

Tusses wrote:true . and it's changing faster and faster .. especially now it's all moving to mobile phones*

Most forums these days are moving to FB groups .. which personally I don't like as much :(

But then again , I liked the news groups too , before they all disappeared

* which reminds me about your rant on the ever shrinking width of desktop web pages .. they should make a screen mode so we can just mount our monitors portrait instead of landscape .. sorted :-)

Rant ? Moi? I objectively criticise ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby selectortone » 07 Jul 2017, 19:14

Tusses wrote:Most forums these days are moving to FB groups .. which personally I don't like as much :(

I don't like Facebook and have never joined (much to the relief of my kids! :lol: ). I dislike the fact that even if you aren't a member they will still track you if you click on a Facebook link. Bit too bloody Big Brother if you ask me.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2017, 21:18

selector tone wrote:.... I dislike the fact that even if you aren't a member they will still track you if you click on a Facebook link. Bit too bloody Big Brother if you ask me.

Mmmm...not too sure about that. When you say 'track you', what exactly do you mean?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby selectortone » 07 Jul 2017, 21:26

It's all about ad targeting. That's how Facebook makes a lot of its money:

How Facebook tracks you across the web

more here

and here
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Tusses » 07 Jul 2017, 22:13

just had my enail :-) ... I'm officially photo^ooked :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Jul 2017, 22:37

Moi aussi!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodster » 07 Jul 2017, 23:50

Tusses wrote:just had my enail :-) ... I'm officially photo^ooked :lol:

Yeah, had mine yesterday ;). I'm trying out imgur at the moment. Their app is pants but it seems to work ok using a browser, at least until they cop the hump as well! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests