It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:03

parts for proposed wine press

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

parts for proposed wine press

Postby tracerman » 03 Feb 2018, 20:52

People - I could go out and buy a wine press , even Machine Mart ( Clarkes) do one at around £89 . But it wont be used that often and most of the parts can be obtained quite cheaply , i.e. plastic buckets etc . So I'm on the lookout for 1) a flange of about 3 or 4 inches dia , with a central collar and a female thread of say 20mm . With 2 or three screw holes . 2) threaded stud/rod to suit the flange . Its the flange bit I most need , I cant see one in my WDS catalogue . Any suggestions appreciated . Most of the structure will be in wood hence me being on here .
PS - the sort of flange I am picturing might be like I've seen on galvanized pipe fittings / railings , but I would need threaded rod or stud to screw through the flange , no more than 600 mm long .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: parts for proposed wine press

Postby DaveL » 03 Feb 2018, 21:16

How about a lathe face plate to use as the flange? They are threaded and come in all sorts of diameters, they come up on eBay for not a lot of money.
Or how about a thick plywood disc with a tee nut pressed into it?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby tracerman » 04 Feb 2018, 10:04

Davel - thanks for that thought . Overnight I've had a few more ideas which simplify the design .
Thanks
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Rod » 04 Feb 2018, 10:35

What are you going to press - have got some vines?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 04 Feb 2018, 12:31

Rod - sadly , no grape vines of our own in Lordswood . Some friends in Somerset were travelling abroad last year and we went to pick their grapes at their request rather than let them wither on the vine . We shall be going again this year to inspect in late July , with a view to picking in late August ( ?) . Grapes is a new challenge for me , we have pressed other fruits in the past but with crude methods . I have a design in mind now , a frame " a la guillotine " but using a car-jack and interlocking plastic buckets .

Unless some kind soul has a press going spare .....
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Woodster » 04 Feb 2018, 12:38

I have got a press somewhere, have to see if I can find it and whether the other half still wants it. We bought it for pressing apple juice.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking