It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:23

Metal Lathe

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Metal Lathe

Postby stu » 22 Oct 2018, 20:48

What's the general opinion on metal lathes. There seems to be a choice at entry level of either a new Chinese mini lathe or old British machinery.

I don't need to do that much with it, just bit's for the workshop - shims, bushes, jig fixtures etc so nothing too taxing.

I like the idea of old British (I have a workshop with plenty of it) and the Myford ML7/Super 7 seems to be readily available at the price I want to pay. Looking around it's possible to pick one up in budget with lots of bits and bobs, but I'm slightly concerned that anything that is too 'used' might be a bit of a dog. The benefits of the Myford is the availability of spares and back up around the internet, so if something goes wrong I can probably sort it out with a bit of time and research.

The other alternative would be to go 'Chinese' which I'm not against, just something about the Myford/British appeals to me. A new machine should work properly out of the box with the back up from the dealer and are supposedly quite good these days. so really it should be the sensible choice!

My heart is saying British, head is saying Chinese - what are the thoughts of the forum?
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Metal Lathe

Postby Woodster » 22 Oct 2018, 21:40

We had a nice old Myford ML7 where I used to work and the only downside that sprung to mind was the very small bore of the machine, it was only 7/16”. I have a 8 1/2” x 14” Chinese Lathe and the spindle bore is 20mm. I regularly pass long stock through the head for machining.

If this isn’t an issue for you (it was for me) then provided you can get an ML7 in good condition at a fair price go for it. Supposedly some in the know will say that the Myford isn’t a particularly good example of British engineering but I’m pretty sure it’s better than all the hobby stuff that comes out of China. Chinese Lathes are often regarded as a work in progress or a kit of parts requiring final finishing but some of them aren’t too bad, especially for the price. Sadly gearboxes on Chinese hobby Lathes have all but disappeared, being replaced with variable speed motors instead. Having used a couple of Harrison’s I much prefer the gearbox option and to be frank Chinese electrics aren’t the best - remember that Satellite that fell out of the sky a while back! :lol: I always wanted a decent Boxford but moving something that size was a problem. Another to look out for is the Viceroy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I expect you’ll be back in a year or two asking about milling machines! ;) :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Oct 2018, 00:18

I’ve always yearned for a Myford but could not justify the cost and the accessories prices so settled for a smallish Warco which suits me fine.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby EssJay » 23 Oct 2018, 07:33

Hi All

First post from me but some will know me from the 'other place' where I use my real name Steve Jones.

Stu.

About 2 years ago I built myself a cnc so went to Chester machinery during one of their open weeks and bought a Chester DB7 lathe, I used it to make all my ally bearing blocks and turn down the ends of the trapezoidal threads for the build which it had no problem at all doing, I also turned all the stepper motor hand wheels out of 50mm round ally blanks.
I would have no hesitation in recommending it if you decide to go with your 'head'

Cheers

Steve

PS I've been lurking here reading all the excellent posts for quite a while :mrgreen:
EssJay
Seedling

Name: Steve Jones

Postby stu » 25 Oct 2018, 21:48

Thanks for the comments guys - hasn't helped at all!

I'm watching a couple of Myford lathes in auction a generally fishing around on sale sites to see if a bargain comes my way. If nothing comes up and I get bored/ impatient I'll probably end up going Chinese. Either way, I'm sure I'll be happy!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking