It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:55

Wardrobe lights

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Wardrobe lights

Postby Jimmy Mack » 11 Feb 2019, 18:52

I'm running LED tape in a wardrobe (2x2.4m strip per driver per cabinet run, 48watts per driver) and was wondering if there's a problem with daisy chaining/ radial connecting the drivers?

ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Wardrobe lights

Postby DaveL » 11 Feb 2019, 20:01

That should work OK, as long as the connectors will allow 2 wires to be inserted OK. Some have very small openings and you might not be able to put 2 wires in together.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 11 Feb 2019, 20:15

No sign of a switch?
If you need to connect that in too, radials from power units to a junction box might be easier but either should do.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 11 Feb 2019, 20:22

Thanks chaps....

Switch...the customers electrician has a socket (behind) in for me that's connected to a PIR sensor/timer
Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 11 Feb 2019, 20:23

DaveL wrote:That should work OK, as long as the connectors will allow 2 wires to be inserted OK. Some have very small openings and you might not be able to put 2 wires in together.
You're right Dave, they can be a bit tight on space.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 11 Feb 2019, 23:07

The only thing I'd add is are these drivers a reputable brand?

Not sure I'd trust some unknown chinese make mounted on a flammable surface as they may not have protection circuits.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby will1983 » 12 Feb 2019, 12:49

That's a nice set of wardrobes there Jimmy.

By any chance could you share a link to the PIR sensor/timer switch?
My Mum is nagging me to install something similar in her wardrobes.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Feb 2019, 13:03

will1983 wrote:That's a nice set of wardrobes there Jimmy.

Depending on the wardrobe design and location you might be better off with door switches. If the PIR is outside the wardrobes then the lights will come on whenever anyone comes into the zone irrespective of whether they want to go to the wardrobe. Or put a pir in each compartment to stop that and you might need a lot of sensors although they are only £2-3 each on ebay.
Needs thinking through to get the effect you (she) wants.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 12 Feb 2019, 14:29

What you need is a 'smart' wardrobe ! :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 12 Feb 2019, 19:37

Hi chaps,

The drivers are CE certified. I hope they behave , putting in some lights on a fused plug, as an 'appliance' is about as far as I'm prepared to go in a customer's house. Hafele do some really nice plug and play kits, which include PIR switch modules or door triggers

A bit of info on the wardrobe...It's a walk-in (no doors) in a side room. The PIR is already in the room, but triggering the ceiling lights at the moment, the customer is having these put on a wall switch and the PIR readied for my LEDs.

However I put a PIR sensor on the exterior work shop lights only last week, it was pretty straight forward. Its a Steinel, I tried a cheap copy from Toolstation first but it was getting triggered easily by the shrubs n grubs, so moved it to the utility room. Mrs Mack is delighted, she can now carry the washing and grab me a beer at the same time*

My original plan was to put the workshop ext lights on a smart switch, but gave up on the idea. Don't trust the tech locking me out through upgrades etc. Iykwim

Jim

*In my dreams -ha

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 12 Feb 2019, 20:12

I suppose the down side to PIRs is they're always drawing a current, albeit a very low one

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 12 Feb 2019, 20:24

will1983 wrote:That's a nice set of wardrobes there Jimmy.

Whilst I'm waffling...The aluminium insert profiles for LEDs (eBay) are a really nice detail...

though I went through two 15mm twin flute router cutters grooving the MFC (30m) diamond card honing as I went too! Really a job for a dado saw or spindle groover .

There's surface mount options too (see pic).

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Feb 2019, 22:48

Jimmy Mack wrote:....r on the exterior work shop lights only last week, it was pretty straight forward. Its a Steinel, I tried a cheap copy from Toolstation first but it was getting triggered easily by the shrubs n grubs, so moved it to the utility room. Mrs Mack is delighted, she can now carry the washing and grab me a beer at the same time*

Funny you should mention that. At our last house I put two in the kitchen...one for when we were walking in from the TV room with hands full of trays and the second when we came into the back door with shopping. Miss them in the new place.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 12 Feb 2019, 23:00

RogerS wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:....r on the exterior work shop lights only last week, it was pretty straight forward. Its a Steinel, I tried a cheap copy from Toolstation first but it was getting triggered easily by the shrubs n grubs, so moved it to the utility room. Mrs Mack is delighted, she can now carry the washing and grab me a beer at the same time*

Funny you should mention that. At our last house I put two in the kitchen...one for when we were walking in from the TV room with hands full of trays and the second when we came into the back door with shopping. Miss them in the new place.
I can totally see why Roger, they' re very handy... Might have to put a few more in.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Feb 2019, 23:04

Jimmy Mack wrote:
RogerS wrote:

I can totally see why Roger, they' re very handy... Might have to put a few more in.

The downside was sometimes on the odd occasions when we were in the kitchen having a candle-lit supper...all very romantic...then one of us moved too far or quickly and the bloody halogen lights would come on again !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Feb 2019, 23:07

RogerS wrote:

I've had one in the kitchen for 30 odd years and recently added one in the pantry. Really useful.

Most pirs have a horizontal fan of "beams of sensitivity" and ideally you need to move to cut across the beams. They are least sensitive along each beam. if fact if you walk slowly along a beam they might not see you at all. The best way to mount them often is with the fan in the vertical plane and tilted downwards onto the floor. That way they are almost impossible to defeat and as you walk along the floor you end up passing through several beams.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Jimmy Mack » 18 Mar 2019, 19:09

Here's the finished installation, lights n all.
Daisy chained drivers, which as DaveL suggested was a fiddle doubling up on the terminals. PIR is out of shot on the right hand wall. Sits on a 1 gang plasterboard back box.

Customer had me fit the carpet too... I'm particularly rubbish at this... always nervous about slicing myself with the Stanley!

Phone camera messed up the white balance on the first shot (too warm)

Customer not quite ready with the decorating

ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Jimmy Mack on 18 Mar 2019, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Mar 2019, 19:49

Wow!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 18 Mar 2019, 19:54