It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:09

Motor brush holders

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Motor brush holders

Postby techauthorbob » 07 May 2019, 18:12

Hi All, seeking help here.

I have a metal cut off saw that has one of the brush holders collapsed so I need to get a couple of new ones.

Does anybody have any ideas as to where to get these?

The existing ones are about 15mm diameter and 30 mm long with 11 by 7 carbon brushes.

Not too bothered about getting exact sizes as I can always mod the motor.

Bob
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Re: Motor brush holders

Postby Robert » 07 May 2019, 22:42

I've only seen a few metal cut off saws and they were all obscure Italian made brands. I'd still expect spares to be available somewhere if you search hard enough.

You can get generic carbon brushes on ebay and I found 11x7mm available at 16mm long (first result in a search for 'motor brushes'). Might be worth a punt if it looks similar.

Edit... just realised you are asking about the holder so no suggestions beyond trying to find the maker or their agent. Know anyone with a 3D printer that could do you a favour? If it could be done of course.

Good luck
Last edited by Robert on 07 May 2019, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: should have read the Q properly!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 08 May 2019, 08:54

I'm not aware of any brush motors using stadardised parts. Brush boxes would be bespoke to the motor maker and the motor power. The motor could be a special designed specified by the machine maker.
If you do go down the 3D printing route then check the material used for thermal properties.
Brush boxes are either brass or phenolic resin which is not a thermoplastic. Bursh boxes are likely to get hot in normal use.
I'd suggest fabricating something in brass or a transplant from another deceased motor

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby techauthorbob » 08 May 2019, 12:08

Thanks for the info guys,
I have been looking this morning and found Lewis Banks & Sons of NEw Barnet that do these sort of things so I am going to fire off some info after lunch to them.

Bob

ps we are ALL Bobs on this thread so far!
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Postby Dalboy » 09 May 2019, 16:58

One thing you did not mention is what brand is the saw. And as already stated brush holders mainly are made from brass. Also, some carbon brushes are softer than others.
Do you know what caused the problem in the first place
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking