It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:08

Power, Plugs, Sockets, Lights

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Postby Phil » 29 Dec 2019, 10:16

When we built I specified additional sockets in the garage, 1 near each corner and halfway up the wall.
I also planned the layout before we moved as I am unable to move the large heavy units.
What I did not do is apply my mind to where the power would be for the workbench, power tools and large equipment. :oops:

So there were lots of extension leads drifting around.

Power-Before-with-leads.jpg
(39.55 KiB)

Plan of action……….
Extend a cable, wall mounted, from the one wall socket to the workbench.
A wall mounted socket and then a short multiplug unit screwed to the workbench shelf.

NewPlug_Extension.jpg
(24.69 KiB)

I cut a channel into the wall for the cable, then ran the cable down the wall and back behind the metal table and RAS to the new socket.

Hole filled.jpg
(14.6 KiB)

Connected.jpg
(12.57 KiB)

The cable is only tacked down at the start and end and hangs loose behind the other stuff. It is out of the way and will only be an issue when the house is sold one day (not in my lifetime!)

I also moved the screwdriver rack and cleaned up the storage units for pencils etc.

Move_Sort1.jpg
(47.88 KiB)

Move_Sort2.jpg
(48.97 KiB)

Then I made a flexible arm LED light for the RAS and workbench.

LED_Light.jpg
(30.13 KiB)

The intention is to do a similar extended socket in the other corner of the garage which will then give me sockets behind the router table.

Scroll saw light
The old light mounting bracket broke off and disintegrated, light fell and lost some nuts and screws.
The intention was to convert the light to LED, just could not find a round-tuit.
So, no light = no cutting. Moved to top of priority list.

OldLight.jpg
(15.55 KiB)

I will salvage what I can from the light for possible later use.

I have a wooden storage box on wheels where I keep all the spare electrical stuff.
Found a flexible arm, light cover (too small) but it keeps the LED in place.

Made up a small bracket where the arm screws into, and this is then fitted to the wooden base under the scroll saw

NewLight_1.jpg
(30.67 KiB)

NewLight_2.jpg
(31.61 KiB)

New light finished and working, excellent light on the blade and cutting area.

New_LED_Light.jpg
(29.12 KiB)

There are still another 2 lights to convert to LED. The small scroll saw and a bedside light.

Generator

Just another power project was the connection of our generator to the house mains.
(I used to just plug a cable from the generator socket direct into a house socket, not ideal or really safe.)

This project required the use of a licensed wireman.

We had a surge protection unit installed after a lightning strike.

The generator was fitted with a big fat cable, direct feed out, with a big blue 3-pin plug.

Generator.jpg
(20.21 KiB)

On the bedroom side of the house is a cable and blue plug - the generator plugs into this unit. The cable runs over the ceiling to the garage and then feeds the DB board through the surge protection.

Generator_Connection.jpg
(19.13 KiB)

There is a big box and switch which takes us from external power to generator.

Surge_Generator-Connection.jpg
(11.84 KiB)

The procedure is to connect the generator, start it, and when running smoothly flip the switch. (remember to turn on the fuel tap!!! Otherwise pulling the cable gets you nowhere :cry: )

It is a 2.7Kw machine, 4 stroke. We run the whole house except for the water heat pump which draws 1.5Kw when it starts up. Not serious as the geyser keeps the water hot for at least 48 hours. We have a gas hob for cooking.

When running the machine, we close the bedroom windows for the exhaust fumes, and also cuts out nearly all the noise. The last lot of blackouts ended at 7pm or 9pm, so not really late.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Power, Plugs, Sockets, Lights

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Dec 2019, 10:53

Whatever next!! The 'shop'll be tidy!! :D

Well done.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 29 Dec 2019, 17:50

Malc2098 wrote:Whatever next!! The 'shop'll be tidy!! :D

Well done.

Thanks.

This is why the shop needs to be kept tidy 'most of the time'.

A view from the kitchen through the scullery into the garage/workshop.

ViewFromKitchen.jpg
(79.81 KiB)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby flying haggis » 04 Feb 2020, 16:48

""The generator was fitted with a big fat cable, direct feed out, with a big blue 3-pin plug.""

I hope you meant big blue socket? and the connection to the house is a plug
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Feb 2020, 19:00

I missed this first time around Phil. That has given me an idea for a work light for the lathe :eusa-think:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking