It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:06

Talking about torque

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Talking about torque

Postby RogerS » 10 Dec 2020, 08:30

Rather than hijack Mike's thread.....

sunnybob wrote:Back in '89, I was the secretary of a target shooting club. I bought 5 turning target units that were using windscreen wiper motors They had huge torque, snapping a man sized target frame through 90 degrees almost as fast as you could see. They ran off full sized car batteries that in the end I rigged up to be on permanent trickle charge because the targets drained the batteries so quickly.

Its all about the torque, so DO NOT under estimate 12 volt dc power requirements. :shock:
8-)

LOL...you just reminded me of the incident on one OB...an opera.. Calisto IIRC. Pre-digits. One of the production staff had painstakingly used Letraset (remember that ?) and fan-fold paper to make the subtitles. Our mechanical workshop had made a gizmo that, on the push of a button, would move the fanfold forward one sheet thus presenting the next sub-title to the front of a small Vidicon camera to be inserted into the main picture.

All good. Only. Only the torque was something fearsome and after re-rehearsing certain scenes, those sprocket holes in the paper were becoming well and truly worn. As in torn. The production lass was almost in tears. Guess who was tasked to find the nearest town with a stationer, one with those gummed paper reinforcement rings in stock, and then to painstakingly lick and stick :(
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking