It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:44

Motor Challenges

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Motor Challenges

Postby Rob » 09 Feb 2015, 15:14

This one I'm rather hoping will be right up your street Bob.

Today I went to see a good quality lathe, an original Woodfast, made in Australia, before Record starting badging them and making them in China.

Its got a 1HP 3phase motor and an inverter and its broken. It's previous owner, a member of our turning club is deceased and I can acquire it for a sensible sum. Clearly if I cant fix the motor/inverter issues there's not much use for it.

Now the caveat for this is that I know nothing about motors, a complete and utter dumbass! I feel vulnerable because I'm in uncharted territory and if I cant get confidence there is a solution at a sensible price then I wont be buying it. However, on all the other levels its a great lathe. 18" throw and the spindle is a rock solid MT2 with a decent stand, decent indexing etc. So its a chunky machine, very well engineered, just a busted drive.

Now to the technical:
we can get the motor to just turn when switched on. The inverter comes up with an LED message of ready and then it will turn the spindle. The moment you try to turn up the revs, it stops and the code err (for error) is displayed. It then wont work again until switched off at the mains and powered off....then start all over again, rinse, repeat.

I don't know if the inverter is knackered, or the motor, or both, and have insufficient knowledge to go through a diagnostic procedure. Gut feel says that because the motor actually turns the spindle then its the inverter that's malfunctioning. My mate who knows more about these than I also thinks the inverter is the likely culprit.

Any idea what path I should take? I can unscrew the inverter and take it away but short of sending it to someone, wouldn't know where to begin.

Any help, very gratefully received and apologies in advance for not listening in physics approx. a 100 years ago when all this got taught!!!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Re: Motor Challenges

Postby kirkpoore1 » 09 Feb 2015, 18:34

This is fixable. Even though I have no idea what is wrong, it is fixable and I don't think it will be expensive.

Does it just say "Err", or does it give some kind of code number?

See if you can blow dust out of the inverter, and check for any damage/gunk on the speed control. It sounds like there may be something that is giving you a bad connection on the speed control.

Also, post pictures.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Rob » 09 Feb 2015, 23:54

Regrettably I don't have access to the lathe as its still in the original owners garage. I've e mailed Woodfast down under to see if I can get access to the manual. My pal who has more knowledge of these things than I did mention the meaning of the error code which I forget so I'll confer with him before reporting back here. No pictures at present for the same lack of access reasons.

One thing I do know is the model of the inverter which is:

Telemecanique
part number - ATV18U18M2
Description - Altivar 18 0.75kW/1 HP inverter

I think until I can get better access to it this onion may need to be peeled in layers!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 10 Feb 2015, 09:12

If as you say this machine is mechically sound a suitable for your meeds, I suggest that you buy this machine and I will find a way of getting it going for you.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rob » 10 Feb 2015, 11:51

That's a very kind offer Bob!

That's decision made then. If you're willing, what I'll do is buy it, organise transport home, uncouple the motor and the inverter and then arrange to bring them to you. I live in the same village as Terry so not a million miles from you, hours drive or so.

Is that OK?

In terms of timing, this will be more tricky as I have some major family related health conditions on my hands at the moment. Son going into hospital for operation on the 23rd which will see me gone for a fortnight. I think best I get the dam thing and we can sort out logistics after that.

Brilliant mate, really appreciate the help with this :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 10 Feb 2015, 13:59

And, Bob, if you are up here, just across the road at Rob's I would be delighted if you were to come around to see my workshop at what ever stage it is at the time!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 10 Feb 2015, 14:08

Wizard9999 wrote:And, Bob, if you are up here, just across the road at Rob's I would be delighted if you were to come around to see my workshop at what ever stage it is at the time!

Terry.

I could well take you up on that Terry! I've PM'd Rob about his motor problem.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rob » 10 Feb 2015, 16:59

Dam decent of you Bob...I've pm'd you and I think its a grand idea to get the scoop on Terry's considerable erection :shock:

All of a sudden the word "beer" has appeared in my mind for no apparent reason!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking