It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 20:28

Diamond cutting discs - check often in use!

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Diamond cutting discs - check often in use!

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Feb 2024, 18:07

Currently laying black limestone. 900 by 600 slabs with ground backs. Stupidly heavy. It's an inch thick and most of the cuts I can do with a pro diamond blade on my wet table saw. However, there are some fiddly bits here and there that require a cutting disc on my small angle grinder. I prefer the small machine for this job as I can get the slab on the bench and do accurate cuts, even though I have to go from both sides.

IMG_4894.JPG
(273.07 KiB)

This diamond blade is 2 days old and hardly used really. I inspected it at the end of every cut as is my habit. A chunk of metal had flown out, and the blade cracked to the hole. Two holes to the left is another crack that is not easy to spot, with a much larger v shaped chunk ready to launch itself. Had that happened I think the entire blade may have fragmented.

I was wearing safety goggles inside a full air flow face mask, and good gloves, but the wedding tackle was not far off cutter height and unarmored :lol:

No harm done, but it just shows you cant afford to be casual with these tools. Limestone is softish as stone goes, but can have brittle bits. Surprised to get a disc failure though.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name: Adrian

Re: Diamond cutting discs - check often in use!

Postby Doug » 04 Feb 2024, 20:30

I wish mine were in that good a condition :?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Diamond cutting discs - check often in use!

Postby Blackswanwood » 04 Feb 2024, 21:28

I hope that graffiti isn't supposed to be your unarmored wedding tackle :lol:
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Return to Machines & Power Toolery