It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:54

Planer/Thicknesser blades

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Planer/Thicknesser blades

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Mar 2018, 15:11

Hello!

I'm here looking for help - again! I have recently acquired a DeWalt DW50 planer thicknesser (which I am grateful for as I didn't have one prior) however, setting the newly sharpened knives is driving me absolutely insane. So far I have spent two days trying to do it by hand adjusting the setting screws etc. I have also spend about another day using the Axm. planer thicknesser blade setting jig. It is most likely due to the fact I am somewhat inept; however, after days of YouTube videos and whatnot its enough to drive me to drink. :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

Does anyone have any tips or is it just a rubbish job that nobody ever wants to do as it is a pain in the a**?

Any help is much appreciated.

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Planer/Thicknesser blades

Postby Rod » 08 Mar 2018, 18:28

I’ve no experience of your particular machine, I have a Metabo.
It’s a fiddly procedure but I’ve found the ruler movement method gives the best results.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Mar 2018, 19:48

Hard to advise without knowing what mechanism your machine uses.

As Rod says, the ruler method works well. I think you may have five securing bolts per blade? If so then I'd tighten them up in sequence...the two outer ones, then the middle, then the two 'middle' ones.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Mar 2018, 20:00

There is a copy of the DW1150 P/T manual in the the forum dropbox. The methods therein may or may not be relevant to the DW50.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 08 Mar 2018, 20:06

9fingers wrote:There is a copy of the DW1150 P/T manual in the the forum dropbox. The methods therein may or may not be relevant to the DW50.

Bob

I don't think it covers setting the blades.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Mar 2018, 20:17

RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:There is a copy of the DW1150 P/T manual in the the forum dropbox. The methods therein may or may not be relevant to the DW50.

Bob

I don't think it covers setting the blades.

Apart from section 2.3 fig 8 & 9 that is.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby mabazza ritchie » 09 Mar 2018, 01:54

Thanks for the replies, I had a look at the DW1150 manual and it is more descriptive than my DW50 one. That said, the ruler method is the one i have been trying however, to no avail. I am starting to wonder if the table or cutter block are completely parallel with each other.
I may see if my local joiner can assist in any way.

Thank you for the replies again. Will keep trying somehow!
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby justaskin » 09 Mar 2018, 08:25

Hi There
I had the ELU version of this planer. Yes it is a PIA but I found the following served me well for many years. It looks like you should start from scratch in setting up. Disconnect all power.
1) Remove the blades place winding sticks on the blade drum and one on the out table to ensure the out table is parallel to the drum.
2) first set up the blades best done using the marked block making sure both side of the blade move the block the same distance. lock the first blade.
3) You mention you have the AXI magnetic setup kit. Mark one left hand and one right hand. Attach each to the drum adjust each one until the magnet sticks to the blade on the corresponding side. Unlock the blade and remove the adjusting screws (keep them in a safe place incase you want to sell the machine) replace the blade and let the magnet hold it in place then lock this blade. Use the same procedure on the next blade and tighten the locking.
4) Using your winding sticks again ensure the intable front and rear is parallel to the outtable.

This will take the best of a morning with a couple of coffee breaks to set up.
best of luck

Richard

PM me if you require more info
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Mar 2018, 23:27

I used to use the 'carry forward' method with a block of oak, but it's fiddly, time consuming and not particularly accurate. I now use the Ax planer blade setting jig which initially looks tricky to set up as the instructions provided aren't too clear, but it's worth while persevering with it. Once the jig is set up, it now takes me all of ten minutes to install three blades in the cutter block on my Jet 260, and better, they're absolutely spot on - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 11 Mar 2018, 09:47

I have an older Axi P/T with a twin blade cutter block. I have not used it in ages but the biggest pain I had when trying to set the blades was with back ache. What seemed like hours bent over tweaking the adjustment screws. IIRC the block diameter is less than the 65mm quoted for the those Axi jigs.

Do you think they would work with a smaller diameter twin blade cutter block?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 11 Mar 2018, 16:45

Thanks for getting back to me with the detailed replies. I have ordered some winding sticks and will give it a bash when they arrive. If my sums are correct there is a difference of 0.54thou between one side and the other. I think that when i tighten the blades into the cutter block it must cause them to move or distort.

I will update once i give the advice a try. I sm not sure the Axi jig will be fruitful but will see. I dont think it would be much use on a smaller cutting block but, as you can see, i dont know too much about these things!

As an aside Record Power Sabre 350 bandsaw and CL4 PK/A lathe; worth the money?

Thanks
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Mar 2018, 18:15

Andyp wrote:I have an older Axi P/T with a twin blade cutter block. I have not used it in ages but the biggest pain I had when trying to set the blades was with back ache. What seemed like hours bent over tweaking the adjustment screws. IIRC the block diameter is less than the 65mm quoted for the those Axi jigs.

Do you think they would work with a smaller diameter twin blade cutter block?

Andy, the best way to find out would be to post a query on the Ax Community Forum or to give the techies a ring at AxHQ - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery