It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:57

Domino

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Domino

Postby MY63 » 23 Oct 2020, 13:46

I have a number of projects in the future, I have tried loose tenons with a router which does not work for me so I am considering purchasing a domino machine, They seem to be in short supply does that mean a new model may be on the way.
Is it worth considering a used one.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Domino

Postby clogs » 23 Oct 2020, 13:51

I had a look at them untill I saw the price.....even used.....
had good luck with bisquits over the years, will stick with that.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Oct 2020, 14:08

I've done OK with biscuits, and mortice and tenons when I've needed to.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 23 Oct 2020, 14:38

Joints, Michael.........make joints. If you're a pro working against the clock, then fine, use a magic joint making machine, but joints aren't hard, are great fun, and don't actually slow things up much.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Oct 2020, 14:38

MY63 wrote:I have a number of projects in the future, I have tried loose tenons with a router which does not work for me so I am considering purchasing a domino machine, They seem to be in short supply does that mean a new model may be on the way.

I bought a secondhand Mk1 version which had the original circular indexing pins and was subsequently much easier to use that the later variant. Yup, they're expensive, even second hand but once you've used one a few times you'll wonder how you ever managed without.

I can cut joinery, but I now find it fairly tedious. F'rinstance, say I was making a simple bog standard rectangular frame to hold a panel for the back of a cabinet. It would take me at least a day to mark out, cut and fettle the m/t joints to get the frame spot on, square and out of 'wind'

With a Domino, once the machine is set up, exactly the same job can be done in around three minutes.
If you're going to get one, it really is a 'no brainer' - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 23 Oct 2020, 15:13

Please dont misunderstand I love making things by hand and would like nothing better than to make all of the units for the utility and kitchen by hand.
However I have some pretty serious issues with my right hand with nerve damage. I realise it is very expensive but if it is the only way I can manage then it might be worth it.
I may have to rethink.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Oct 2020, 15:30

They are ridiculously handy Michael and if you have mobility issues then I would counsel that you go ahead and get one. They hold their value ridiculously well, as you've seen, so buy second hand and you'll not lost out on it.

I bought an ex-demo one years ago and even though it isn't the 'better' version with the round indexing pins that Rob has, it's still enabled me to do some time critical jobs muc quicker than I ever would have by hand, as much as I enjoy the joinery process.

I'd say go for it, you won't lose money if you change your mind and if it does what you want then win win.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 23 Oct 2020, 15:37

Woodbloke wrote:......say I was making a simple bog standard rectangular frame to hold a panel for the back of a cabinet. It would take me at least a day to mark out, cut and fettle the m/t joints to get the frame spot on, square and out of 'wind'.....

:shock: :shock: How long? Seriously.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Oct 2020, 17:41

I think it depends what you are doing. I can and do make traditional joints, hand cut and take pride in doing so. However, there are times when it is not worth the effort of making joints and the domino comes in.

To do a very strong joint with a domino takes literally a few minutes. I recently made a quick frame to support a very heavy and wide Gaggenau oven. It will not be visible. I did the Dominos in pairs (doubled up as the wood was quite thick) and the entire absolutely dead accurate jointing process with 8 dominos and so 16 paired slots, took under 5 minutes.

I have also recently used mine to knock up a National pattern bee hive with stand, brood box, 3 supers and pitched lid. Basically stack of boxes. Very quick and not worth me cutting finger joints or dovetails.

I have also used it to edge joint boards from time to time.

I bought mine used but unmarked and I regard it as a very useful tool in my workshop, though not one I use every day. They can be super accurate.

There are no real downsides. A domino joint is as strong as a M&T joint in tests I have seen. The tool is well engineered and worth the money. The dominos can be a tad pricey I suppose.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Oct 2020, 17:44

Mike G wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:......say I was making a simple bog standard rectangular frame to hold a panel for the back of a cabinet. It would take me at least a day to mark out, cut and fettle the m/t joints to get the frame spot on, square and out of 'wind'.....

:shock: :shock: How long? Seriously.

Spot on, square and out of 'wind' Mike :eusa-whistle: That means that tenons need to be fettled dead true and square on the router table; mortices are cut using the router which gives true hole but requires time to set up and then make the ends square. Chopping the things out with a pig sticker and a big maul simply isn't accurate enough and I've done it enough times to know! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Oct 2020, 19:37

It's the time I'm questioning, though. I've done hundreds of such joints on router tables, RAS, bandsaw, and the like (there's lots of ways of skinning that particular cat), and there is no way that 4 M&Ts would ever have taken me all day, no matter what machinery we're talking about. As for accuracy......well, I've headed back towards hand tools because you can achieve the same accuracy but without all the faff of fiddling with machines. I'm not criticising anyone, BTW, for any woodworking choice they make. I'm just amazed that a skilled and experienced guy like you, Rob, could take all day over 4 joints. I reckon that day includes a dozen trips in to the house for a cup of tea, a two hour lunchbreak, and an afternoon nap! :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 23 Oct 2020, 22:06

It would appear that there is very little stock in the UK of Domino's. I wonder if a new model is on the way ?
There does not appear to be many used ones around either.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Oct 2020, 22:10

Mike G wrote:...and an afternoon nap! :)

I suffer from insomnia Mike and a nap is a cardinal sin, the punishment for which is transportation for life to the colonies :lol: It also depends on how long the working day is and mine isn't generally very long - Rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 23 Oct 2020, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Oct 2020, 22:12

There have been stock shortages of a number of quality tools for a while. Caused by people doing projects during lockdown I expect. Trades are very busy.

People rarely sell used ones. They are a very useful tool so people hang on to them I suspect.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Oct 2020, 23:12

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:...and an afternoon nap! :)

I suffer from insomnia Mike........

So do I. Not mine, you understand. My wife's. It's a nightmare, and you have my complete sympathy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Oct 2020, 23:16

Separate bedrooms Mike

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Oct 2020, 09:13

Mike G wrote:
My wife's. It's a nightmare, and you have my complete sympathy.

Without wishing to digress too much from this excellent thread, I'd strongly advise your wife to take part in the Sleepstation programme, which is free via the NHS but does require a referral from your GP.

It's very, very tough going but if she can stick it out, most patients find a huge improvement in the quality of their sleep. I've done the course twice now as it didn't really work for me, but I've recently discovered that a few drops of Lavender Oil on my pillow just seems to completely relax me and send me off into a deep sleep. I still can't go right the way through the night and generally wake at around 5am or so, but it's a vast improvement on the quality of sleep I was getting a few weeks ago.

Rod is spot on about separate sleeping rooms. 'Sleep hygiene' is vital for an insomniac, so the room should be cool, blackout curtains fitted and there should be no visible alarm clock face. If she opts for the SS course, all this will be explained in detail and much else besides.

Sorry for the digression, but please feel free to PM me Mike if I can be of further help - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Oct 2020, 09:18

Very interesting, Rob. I'll pass that on. Many thanks.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 25 Oct 2020, 14:19

Not to digress too far again ....

I did a 2 night hospital sleep study, which indicated that I stopped breathing for more than 30 seconds plenty times per night. Apart from all the wake-up times.

Result - a sleep machine that pumps air and forces you too breath and helps to sleep.

Used the machine for 2 months and after fighting the mask and pipe and getting 3 hours sleep per night, put it all into a cupboard. Now I just go with a couple of glasses of wine and get about 5 hours sleep (not continuously :( :( )
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2020, 15:15

Woodbloke wrote:
MY63 wrote:I have a number of projects in the future, I have tried loose tenons with a router which does not work for me so I am considering purchasing a domino machine, They seem to be in short supply does that mean a new model may be on the way.

I bought a secondhand Mk1 version which had the original circular indexing pins and was subsequently much easier to use that the later variant. Yup, they're expensive, even second hand but once you've used one a few times you'll wonder how you ever managed without.

I can cut joinery, but I now find it fairly tedious. F'rinstance, say I was making a simple bog standard rectangular frame to hold a panel for the back of a cabinet. It would take me at least a day to mark out, cut and fettle the m/t joints to get the frame spot on, square and out of 'wind'

With a Domino, once the machine is set up, exactly the same job can be done in around three minutes.
If you're going to get one, it really is a 'no brainer' - Rob

:text-+1:

I too have a secondhand 'original' with index pins. And the secondhand bigger brother. I wouldn't be without either. And I have arthritis in my thumbs and so hand tools are a right PITA.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Oct 2020, 16:49

RogerS wrote: And the secondhand bigger brother.

I've considered the bigger one, but it's probably too big for the sort of work I do - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 26 Oct 2020, 20:16

I ventured out to the local Axminster store this morning to have a look at the Domino unfortunately they only had the larger model which to be honest is not what I am looking for. Staff told me they were out of stock and they have a waiting list for them.
There is only one or two on ebay, those who said they keep their price were correct.
I did some research on the Triton dual dowler machine but the online reviews are really bad.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 26 Oct 2020, 22:24

MY63 wrote:I ventured out to the local Axminster store this morning to have a look at the Domino unfortunately they only had the larger model which to be honest is not what I am looking for. Staff told me they were out of stock and they have a waiting list for them.
There is only one or two on ebay, those who said they keep their price were correct.
I did some research on the Triton dual dowler machine but the online reviews are really bad.

Having got both of them, Michael, you are spot on with your view re the smaller machine being of more use to you. Just had a look at eBay secondhand prices....crazy..
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery