It is currently 30 Nov 2020, 06:23

Dust Extraction

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust Extraction

Postby Blackswanwood » 21 Nov 2020, 12:53

I am currently thinking about dust extraction for my new workshop and came across this new video from Stumpy Nubs which I thought was good and worth sharing. Apologies for a superfluous post if you have already seen it or are not in need of advice on the topic but otherwise it's well worth a watch imho.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjI5l4nF9AM
Blackswanwood
New Shoots

Name: Robert

Re: Dust Extraction

Postby Robert » 21 Nov 2020, 18:21

I skipped through the video. There is a lot of the sort of stuff that seems obvious like HPLV and LPHV but is only obvious because it gets discussed on forums so helpful to beginners.

The ducting advice is probably useful too if you have a shop big enough to be able to do it. Personally I just wheel the machine to the extractor which isn't far - wish it was as I'd love more room.

One thing he said made me think...He recons you should leave the layer of dust on cloth filters as the particles block the larger holes and improve filtration of finer dust. My Record camvac style extractor has a cloth primary filter then paper bags over pleated filters. I sometimes take the cloth up the garden and shake it downwind of me... maybe i shouldn't?
Robert
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 21 Nov 2020, 18:22

Sorry, Robert, I bailed out after 3 minutes as I could see that all he was setting up to do was push the ClearVue Cyclone. I disagree with a lot of what he says TBH. For example, he called that a dust collector. It is not. It is a chip collector and works perfectly well at that.

Different machines require different solutions depending in whether they are a dust generator or a chip generator. The cyclone is irrelevant IMO. I've played around with a few of them and saw no real benefit.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 21 Nov 2020, 18:25

I skipped the cyclone stuff :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 21 Nov 2020, 18:28

Robert wrote:.....
One thing he said made me think...He recons you should leave the layer of dust on cloth filters as the particles block the larger holes and improve filtration of finer dust. ....

If you don't mind the reduction in extraction ! That's precisely why the CamVac is so good with its triple filtering. Definitely shake that bag.

What he is advocating there is deliberately encouraging the filter to be 'blinded'. I experimented with my Axminster chip collector and an RB Industrial fine filter. Using a manometer, when new there was virtually zero pressure drop across the filter. But as the filter did its job, the pressure drop gradually increased because the filter was getting filled up with the fine dust...ie doing its job. At the same time, the amount of air shifted dropped. As you'd expect.
RogerS
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Nov 2020, 18:30

At my last workshop, I split the machines up into chip generators (spindle moulder, planer/thicknesser) and used the Axminster 2200 chip collector. Virtually zero dust which also meant I could get rid of the chippings at the local stables.

The dust generators (table saw, drum sander, linisher) were connected together with blast gates and fed the Camvac.

Not a cyclone in sight :D
RogerS
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Nov 2020, 18:47

RogerS wrote:If you don't mind the reduction in extraction ! That's precisely why the CamVac is so good with its triple filtering. Definitely shake that bag.

Yep, the twin motor Camvac is a cracker; I've had one for years. Every week I don a mask, open it up and whack the cloth filter against a cherry tree in the garden, then when I reassemble it I give the paper bags a quick going over with a 'shop brush.
If the cloth filter gets too clogged (ie if it's used for dust extraction off a lathe, which I do) the rate of debris collection is really slowed down. Downside of a Camvac is the small collection drum, but it will provide adequate suckage to power a decent sized cyclone (which I have in my 'shop) and all the detritus then drops into a suitably modified 200l green garden water butt which gets emptied ever other week into the grey wheely bin - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Old Oak

Name: Rob Stoakley

Postby Blackswanwood » 21 Nov 2020, 20:19

RogerS wrote:Sorry, Robert, I bailed out after 3 minutes as I could see that all he was setting up to do was push the ClearVue Cyclone. I disagree with a lot of what he says TBH. For example, he called that a dust collector. It is not. It is a chip collector and works perfectly well at that.

Different machines require different solutions depending in whether they are a dust generator or a chip generator. The cyclone is irrelevant IMO. I've played around with a few of them and saw no real benefit.

No worries. In fairness there’s quite bit more in there than the plug for the cyclone.

On the cyclone point I have a similar set up at the moment to the one Rob describes above but with a Record twin motor. The benefits I’ve found from the “cyclone on top of the bin” is it’s easier to empty, longer life filters and it copes with chips and dust in one system (on the basis that if you are making chips you will also be making dust). I would agree that there is no discernible difference in suction if I bypass the cyclone.

Cheers
Blackswanwood
New Shoots

Return to Machines & Power Toolery