It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:25

how not to install a router plate

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

how not to install a router plate

Postby big soft moose » 11 May 2015, 23:16

I had a bad workshop day to day (fortunately at work so not my wallet)

First off we dropped a large slab of oak on my phenolic router plate and broke it in half - :oops:

then after a short trip to axminster to get a aluminium replacement (they only do phenolic in 10mm now) i very carefully transfered the holes from the old to the new and drilled and counter sunk them

Then retired for coffee feeling well pleased

On my return with a steaming hot beveredge I went to attach the plate to the router and discovered I'd counter sunk the wrong side :eusa-doh:

counter sinking the other side as well would have made the holes too big so i ellected to fit it upside down

after carefully attaching it to the router i then discovered that because it is upside down the hole for the height adjuster (trend T11) is now on the wrong side

"well gosh" I said "that is most vexing" (or something like that)

took the plate off again and then with a minimum of care marked the position for the height adjuster

drilled the hole - nope only half in the right place - filed the hole much bigger, yay it fits

reffitted two of the bolts, dropped the third one on the floor and kicked it under the (fixed ) work bench.

"well I say , this is going simply swimmingly" I declared (again not entirely accurate reporting here)

remembering that the nice men at trend provide a spare for such eventuallities I fished it out and attached it.

Well hurrah for routery goodness - put the plate back in the table , plugged the router into the NVR and the NVR into the mains

Yay lets get on with the job (13 bridge deck board to groove)

umm no - the NVR doesnt want to work unless you press the start button and hold it in for 5 secs ... hmm , too late to go back to axminster now... lets leave that for another day

Time for :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
big soft moose
Seedling

Name:

Re: how not to install a router plate

Postby Andyp » 12 May 2015, 07:29

Sounds like one of my many days in the workshop.

After getting fed up crawling under my bench to retrieve vital bits I installed a kick plate/skirting board.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby stephen.wood125 » 12 May 2015, 10:08

Ugh I've had plenty of those days, glad it's not just me!

brilliantly written by the way, loved the turn of phrase :lol:

I suppose it's useful to have these nightmare days from time to time to contrast the good days and make them seem even better? :eusa-whistle: :lol:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 May 2015, 11:00

Haha, very entertaining, though not for you! Had many of those days myself.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby DaveL » 12 May 2015, 12:57

I remember working with a friend, rebuilding an engine in his garage. While refiting the valve springs, one of the collects was propelled across the garage into a stack of other spare parts. We spent the rest of the day sorting though the pile to find it. :cry:
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby big soft moose » 13 May 2015, 18:25

NVR is now fixed, but now the router is playing up and keeps loosing power even when not under load (rather than running at a constant speed it goes in fits and starts - a bit like a car with dirt in the fuel)

turning it up to speed 10 got it going fast enough to complete the job, but that will need to go see the nice men at trend before we do anything else with it

sigh - still after 8 hours and a lot of dust we very nearly has bridge - i'll post a picture in the projects board when its complete
big soft moose
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 May 2015, 20:29

big soft moose wrote:NVR is now fixed, but now the router is playing up and keeps loosing power even when not under load (rather than running at a constant speed it goes in fits and starts - a bit like a car with dirt in the fuel)

turning it up to speed 10 got it going fast enough to complete the job, but that will need to go see the nice men at trend before we do anything else with it

sigh - still after 8 hours and a lot of dust we very nearly has bridge - i'll post a picture in the projects board when its complete

I'll bet 1/2 pint that it is caused by the sensor magnet on the router shaft coming loose - almost a standard feature it seems. Possibly a reaction to being used upside down all of a sudden.

Also a tip: I've had a few of these trend machines given me to look at where they have been used in a table without religious use of dust collection. Dust enters the labyrinth seal and becomes compacted around the shaft and eventually the seal on the bearing gives way under the pressure and the dust enters the bearing with obvious results. The labyrinth seal which is part of the spindle lock needs to be periodically removed and cleaned out to save bearing failure in the future.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Machines & Power Toolery