It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:52

Ducting for dust extractors

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Ducting for dust extractors

Postby martc » 28 May 2015, 17:32

I just bought a dust extractor for my workshop but I have no knowledge of the best way to do the pipe work for my machines.
The extractor has two 100mm inlet pipes one has an end cap so I have attached my first bit of pipework to the other inlet, I am using 110mm sewage pipes for the main trunking running up to the roof and the full length of the workshop (about 7 meters in length).
My question to the experts is what is the best size pipe to run from the main trunk to my machines, I was thinking of reducing to 50mm waste pipes would this work or would it be better to run 110mm to each machine?
The extractor has a 250mm impeller moving 1490cfm
Thanks
martc
Seedling

Name: Martin

Re: Ducting for dust extractors

Postby 9fingers » 28 May 2015, 19:43

Always keep the diameter as great as possible for as far as possible. The friction in a pipe increases as the diameter drops so the air flow drops drastically.

If you glue a blast gate into the open end of 110mm pipe with a foaming glue (PU), it forms a convenient 110 to 100mm conversion, then use 100mm flexible pipe and then only if the machine has a smaller dust port, make an adaptor (from wood?) down to the final size.

HTH

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby chataigner » 28 May 2015, 21:09

9fingers wrote:Always keep the diameter as great as possible for as far as possible. The friction in a pipe increases as the diameter drops so the air flow drops drastically.

If you glue a blast gate into the open end of 110mm pipe with a foaming glue (PU), it forms a convenient 110 to 100mm conversion, then use 100mm flexible pipe and then only if the machine has a smaller dust port, make an adaptor (from wood?) down to the final size.

HTH

Bob

:text-+1: Try also to keep as much of the pipe run as possible in smooth bore pipe, the corrugated flexi has much higher resistance and so pressure/flow loss.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby DaveL » 28 May 2015, 21:47

And try to avoid 90 degree bends, I used pairs of 45 degree bends and 45 degree Y junctions followed by a 45 degree bend instead of 90 T junctions.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Wizard9999 » 29 May 2015, 12:33

DaveL wrote:And try to avoid 90 degree bends, I used pairs of 45 degree bends and 45 degree Y junctions followed by a 45 degree bend instead of 90 T junctions.

Do you tend to put the two 45 degree bends next to each other, in effect increasing the radius of the corner?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby DaveL » 29 May 2015, 12:37

Wizard9999 wrote:
DaveL wrote:And try to avoid 90 degree bends, I used pairs of 45 degree bends and 45 degree Y junctions followed by a 45 degree bend instead of 90 T junctions.

Do you tend to put the two 45 degree bends next to each other, in effect increasing the radius of the corner?

Terry.

Yes, you are trying to make the path for the dust to be as smooth as possible, any sharp change in direction will cause the air to slow and that will allow the dust to drop out and collect in the pipe.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 May 2015, 10:12

Anyone tried this stuff for dust extraction?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-round ... _container

Is it robust enough? Is it interchangeable with the stuff from Axminster et al? If it is any good it looks a fair bit cheaper, though the range of parts is limited, hence the question on interchangeability.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 30 May 2015, 10:34

Would appear to be in 350mm lengths???
Need connectors every 14" which pushes the cost up.
Wall thickness is possible 1mm so will need lots of support.

I'd stick to 110mm soil pipe from toolsatan who were cheapest last time I checked.
About the only application would be to make extraction stubs for things like router tables, mitre saws etc and couplers for 100mm flexi. I use French 100mm soil pipe for this though and am well stocked currently so no need to try the Screwfix stuff which I think is made for kitchen extractors.
Before anyone suggests the tumble dryer flexi hose - it is far far too fragile for workshop use.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 May 2015, 12:25

9fingers wrote:Would appear to be in 350mm lengths???
Need connectors every 14" which pushes the cost up.
Wall thickness is possible 1mm so will need lots of support.

I'd stick to 110mm soil pipe from toolsatan who were cheapest last time I checked.
About the only application would be to make extraction stubs for things like router tables, mitre saws etc and couplers for 100mm flexi. I use French 100mm soil pipe for this though and am well stocked currently so no need to try the Screwfix stuff which I think is made for kitchen extractors.
Before anyone suggests the tumble dryer flexi hose - it is far far too fragile for workshop use.

Bob

Bob

Hard to see how Axminster can justify >£16 per m when tool station is a sixth of that price. How would you suggest coupling the 110mm to the 100m, it doesn't look as thought the heat shrink stuff is that big (50mm if I read it correctly.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 30 May 2015, 12:33

Terry, if you read my pearls of wisdom(?) above. I have described how the transition is done.

At the risk of upsetting at least one member here, Axi charge that much because they can and sufficient mugs buy it from them.

100mm piping has little other application in UK whereas in many parts of Europe is is standard sh1t pipe.

hth

Bob

PS usually underground 110mm is a bit cheaper still as it does not have the ultraviolent stabiliser in the plastic.
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stephen.wood125 » 30 May 2015, 14:27

I've been looking at this place recently:

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/index.html

I'm not affiliated etc.

I'm thinking of trying to use majority 125/150mm spiral steel ducting and then some 100 for the smaller machines.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Steve
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby martc » 30 May 2015, 15:28

Right thanks for the info, I have very limited space in my workshop so will have to come up with a plan to get the 110mm to the machines. Because my workshop is so cramped I have to keep moving things like the table saw to make room for longer material to be worked on so flexi pipe would be ideal for me however I am struggling to find any flexi pipe over here, will have to look at a few other places.
martc
Seedling

Postby Woolf » 02 Jun 2015, 20:11

Hardware Centre in Strijdom Park had flexihose. Don't know if they still have. I bought from them a year or two ago. The also have blast gates and various other fittings.
http://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/web/
Woolf
Seedling

Name: Woolf

Postby martc » 03 Jun 2015, 11:49

Thanks woolf, I will have a look at their place when I get a chance.
martc
Seedling

Return to Machines & Power Toolery