It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:02

transwave static lost its magic smoke

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

transwave static lost its magic smoke

Postby wallace » 03 Jun 2015, 11:38

Hi all whilst using a machine I heard a slight electrical popping sound coming from somewhere. I investigated and found some magic smoke and a few small flames coming from my static converter. :shock: I isolated the supply and kept an extinguisher ready just incase some thing caught.
I left it for a while before opening things up capacitors hold a charge for a while don't they?

You can see a capacitor has popped

Heres a close up of the writing

Can anyone advise me where to get a replacement, I checked ebay but would like some one more nounce than me to advise.
Is there a way to check the other capacitors?
thanks Mark
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: transwave static lost its magic smoke

Postby Robert » 03 Jun 2015, 14:51

from the picture you need a 10 uF capacitor (uF is micro farad so you will see it listed as 10 MFD on ebay) and it needs to be at least 440V rated.

Obviously spade terminals and I'm guessing stud fixing will make replacement easier.

edit.

first one i found on ebay looks to have the right terminals etc - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-Capacitor ... 3ce860dd46
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 03 Jun 2015, 15:15

Beat me to it Robert.

I totally endorse your reply.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 03 Jun 2015, 16:08

Thanks chaps, I remembered my motor winder friend and took the old one with me. £3 for a new one. :D Very happy result. He just charged me cost. Would it be worthwhile replacing the rest of the caps?
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Jun 2015, 16:17

I'd not bother until they go bang. It is usually a very rapid decay from working to bang unless there are any signs of bulging or stains round the cap/seal

They are all made of "self extinguishing " materials these days and not a serious fire risk especially in a metal box.

HTH

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby furnman » 04 Jun 2015, 13:27

Mark, There is always something , but glad you got it fixed and for only £3, can't be bad.
furnman
Seedling

Name: Mark

Postby wallace » 04 Jun 2015, 14:28

Thanks Bob, I could probably do with a decent rotary because this static gets some hammer especially when trying to start the 30" bandsaw. I have a motor setup with no load to improve the starting on some machines.
Mark your not wrong I now have 5 machines outside my workshop begging to come inside and be made pretty. I made a promise to me lady that no more restorations until some serious wood is butchered
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery