It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:21

Router cutters, good deal (?)

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 Jun 2015, 10:10

All

Guessing I may be the only person on the site who is at the stage of buying a first set of router cutters, but just in case this helps others I thought I point out what I think is a good deal for £15.00 at Tools4trade...

http://www.tools4trade.co.uk/trend-12-p ... c-p-157499

Looks like this must be an old version of the 1/4 set also on sale on the site for £33.50, the only difference in the product number is a "p" at the start, standing for previous or prior, don't know but I am guessing something like that.

So excited I had to buy one of the Makita palm routers so I could use the cutters :lol: (also a very good price as well as far as I can tell).

Anyway, resist telling me it was a rubbish deal as I've bought them both now!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Router cutters, good deal (?)

Postby Rod » 06 Jun 2015, 11:04

Looks like a very good price.
I bought a 1/2" Trend set many moons ago and gradually replaced them when they wore out or broke with ones from Wealden.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jun 2015, 12:49

Trend are a good brand and at that price you can't go too far wrong when starting out.
When you get an appetite for different profiles and get your table mounted router flying, 1/2" shank cutters will be a better proposition and buying (IMHO) top quality cutters from Wealden would be my suggested route.

They also sell superb lip and spur drill bits at sensible prices. Service is exemplary too.

I did find one door making profile that Wealden did not stock and had to go to AXI for that. Not tried it yet but I hope it is as good as they claim.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 06 Jun 2015, 14:10

It's worth having a cheap set like that as a starting point even if you will never use some of the cutters in it :)

Wealdon are very good and if I'm going to be using a cutter a lot I'd buy it from them. That said i'm not averse to buying the odd silverline cheapy if i have a one off job that needs a certain size. if there is an option I'd always go for 1/2" shaft cutters.

I have a diamond sharpener thing which I think I got from Wealdon that I give a few strokes with to straight carbide cutters to keep them sharp. it does make a difference keeping a good edge.

Might treat myself to one of those palm size routers one day...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 Jun 2015, 14:57

Yes, I have the big Triton for the table which is half inch. I was gong to buy the different bases with the palm router, then read on another site a very sensible observation that as the two additional bases add about £100 to the price of the palm router it only costs a little more to buy a separate plunge router. So that is the long term plan, big Triton in the table, 1/4 inch palm for smaller jobs and a second 1/2 inch for bigger freehand work. Not certain on the choice for the second 1/2 router, but may go for the small Triton, JOF I think at about £135.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jun 2015, 15:18

Never handled a Triton router but it was a favourite for table use but regarded as heavy to use hand held.

Just this weekend I've been modifying a pair of Bosch pof 1200 router to provide positive locking on both columns
Seems a weak point of so many routers. locking on one side only allows rather too much flexing for my liking when using with a guide bush system. I want these two for use with a leigh DT jig preset to exact depth one with each cutter.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 Jun 2015, 17:25

Bob

The TRA is a beat at 6.3kg, but the JOF is a relative lightweight at 3.9kg, which compares to the Bosch you mention which looks as though it is 3.4kg (according to the Axminster site).

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jun 2015, 18:42

Ah! I did not realise there was more than one Triton - although you stated JOF - I did not know what it meant.

Yes the Bosch 3.4kg is quite easy to handle. But I would not recommend the modern Bosch models of plunge router POF 1200 poor locking and the GOF 1700 as it can tend to slow down and despite complaining to Bosch, I've not got anywhere they suggest it is a protective feature(!)

I still like my little POF600 - no longer made but some on the bay now and then. It is the first one I turn to for hand held use and is easily modified for dual pillar locking.

The best large one I have in the armoury is a Trend T11 (or is it T10) It is a clone of the DW625 or vice versa but it is heavy.

A small Elu is awaiting some TLC as the slide mechanism is sticky and so far with the above selection, I've not been forced into investigating.

Apologies if I've wandered off topic a bit.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby chataigner » 07 Jun 2015, 20:39

I'm a great fan of Triton, 100% reliable, solidly built, suits me very well and has done for some years.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Rod » 08 Jun 2015, 10:05

I've got a Bosch 1100AE for hand work though I think I've only used it once?
I bought it, reconditioned, very cheaply from a local dealer, Lawsons.
Main ones are a pair of DW 625's - one with a Router RaiZer in my router table and the other in my Woodrat with plunge bars.
The DW's are pretty heavy but I have used them for hand work in the past, using various acrylic guides and attachments.
I was repairing a piece of window cull this weekend and had to cut a rain drip groove.
Instead of using my router I fished out my Marples 044.
Things were going well until I hit a knot, then there was a sound of tinkling metal as bits fell to the floor:

Should have used my Router!

Rod
Last edited by Rod on 08 Jun 2015, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2015, 11:02

A knot did THAT??? :shock:

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jun 2015, 11:16

Nasty!

I'm really fed up with my pair of bosch 1200AE. After improving the locking, My DT sockets were not deep enough and I had to set the leigh for thicker wood than I was using by a mm or so.
Then I noticed that the when the plunge locks, the cutter moves out of concentricity with the guide bush and the Bosch "SDS" guide system in not adjustable.
I've historically been an advocate of Bosch tools as reasonably engineered mid market but these routers are cr4p.
I'm glad I did not pay much for them - they were over production stock via Staff Sales a few years back.

I think I'll look out for some decent fixed base ones for leigh jig use.

And before anyone suggests it, I'm not cutting this many DTs by hand!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby misterfish » 09 Jun 2015, 07:52

9fingers wrote:Nasty!

... and the Bosch "SDS" guide system in not adjustable.

Bob

I've got a Bosch router with this system and although the machine is fine the guides are not held centrally. I solved this by fitting one of the Trend multibase thingies that gives enough flexibility to centre the guides but it does mean I have to use the 'standard' type guides that fit with two screws.

Misterfish
misterfish
New Shoots

Name: Jeff

Postby 9fingers » 09 Jun 2015, 09:48

Once my feeling of frustration has subsided a bit, I think I'll make some new base plates for my two Bosch 1200AEs that are adjustable to compensate.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 13 Jun 2015, 15:39

A very kind UKW member (Argus) sent me a Record 44 body which turned out to be compatible to the Marple.
Here it is ready for action:

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 13 Jun 2015, 17:48

Well, to return to my own question, I am now absolutely certain it was a good deal, or more likely a pricing cock-up, as the price has now been doubled to £30!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery