It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:44

record DX4000

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

record DX4000

Postby Robert » 16 Jun 2015, 16:12

So my ebay purchase arrived and I've opened the box and i've even looked briefly at the instruction book. can't say I'm impressed with the info but the machine seems OK

Quite large diameter at around 18"

Then there's this first stage cloth bag filter which was loosely stretched over the paper filters. It seems to be pretty much ignored in the instructions.

I'm thinking the cloth bag gets stretched over the drum base mouth... which then makes the rubber air seal in the lid a bit pointless.

Then there is the clamp that held the lid to the drum. It has a label on it 'for transit only remove before use'. seems a lot of work for a transit only item.

So a couple of puzzles to clarify but noise wise it is pretty similar to my old vac which was only 750W so pleased on that front too.

The workshop is too disorganised to actually use the extractor yet. must get my finger out and get on with it..
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: record DX4000

Postby Rob » 16 Jun 2015, 17:38

I've got 2 RP DX units...both single motors. Neither of mine have that bag thing going on. I'm wondering if it's a means of emptying the bin easily (like a bin bag) so you don't have to take the actual bin to the tip, you just take the liner and leave the bin in situ???

The filtration is complete (down to 5 microns) with the car filter covered in that brown paper bag so the cloth bag seems superfluous for that task which makes me think its a convenience measure as stated above???

The locking clip I have on one of mine but not the other. On the one that arrived with the clip I use it and it keeps the lid tightly locked. On the other I don't because it didn't have one. I cant honestly see the difference?? Don't think it's a biggy. If you notice dust escaping without the clip in place then I'd use it, if not, stick it in the loft!

I find mine quite noisy after a while so use the classic 3M peltor's when they're on.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 16 Jun 2015, 18:33

Since RP have bought camvac I reckon they have pinched the cloth bag idea that camvac uses. It really does cut down on the crud that makes it through to the paper and cloth filters that are over the motors. The bag does just fit over the bin. With the bag and rubber strip a really good seal is made.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2015, 18:57

Yup. HJ, got in one. All or most of the dust ends up between the cloth bag and the drum. Very little comes through to the two round the motors.

The locking clip isn't needed IMO as the weight of two motors is more than enough to keep it sealed.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 16 Jun 2015, 19:38

With the cloth bag over the rim of the bin the lid will not sit on properly. As you push down on one side to make it seat the other side pops up. The reduction in diameter is too much for the lid to seat all the way round.

however when you turn the unit on the suction pulls the lid assembly home all the way so there is no problem. maybe the bag material just needs to compress for the lid to stay seated when turned off.

I can see it getting a bit messy emptying this thing when the cloth is caked in fine dust. To be fair it is similar to my current industrial vac in that respect except that with the vac the bag edge is moulded into rubber and acts as a gasket seal meaning the dirty filter is easier to handle.

If I can find space some kind of drop box or separator may be in order so i don't need to open it too often.

Plugged in to my load measuring plug in meter thing it draws 1150W on one motor and 2300W with 2 running. Open air flow or my hand blocking the intake seems to make no difference to the power draw. guess I'll not need a heater in winter now.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 16 Jun 2015, 20:32

Robert, I do not think even the best cyclone set up will stop the finest dust getting into the cloth bag of the extractor. My cyclone central cyclone works very well but the finest dust from the lathe still gets sucked up. I just stand outside on a windy day with dust mask on and give the bag a good shake, standing upwind. I've not seen any dust on the paper filters and the motors are spotless too. Mines a twin motor camvac but the design is similar.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2015, 21:12

Robert, I don't have any problem with the bag and lid. If the motor isn't running then TBH I'm not worried if the lid seals down tightly or not. There's nothing to stir the dust up. When the motor is on then it seals down tight. So I'm not really sure what your concern is.

Emptying it can be a bit tiresome, I agree. It's dustmask on. Remove the top lid. Remove the cloth bag and take outside. Work out which way the wind is blowing and move downwind so shaking the bag all the dust goes away from our property.

Get a big bin bag and fit it over the top of the drum. Invert. Then go and get a thicker bin bag as that one just split. Actually, I find it easier simply to use a dustpan and just empty it via that into a bin bag.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 16 Jun 2015, 22:25

RogerS wrote:Robert, I don't have any problem with the bag and lid. If the motor isn't running then TBH I'm not worried if the lid seals down tightly or not. There's nothing to stir the dust up. When the motor is on then it seals down tight. So I'm not really sure what your concern is.

Emptying it can be a bit tiresome, I agree. It's dustmask on. Remove the top lid. Remove the cloth bag and take outside. Work out which way the wind is blowing and move downwind so shaking the bag all the dust goes away from our property.

It was more observing than concern really. I'm quite happy with the record extractor.

Your emptying description is an exact match to what I do now with the industrial vac - walk round the garden making a dust cloud as I shake the cloth filter clean.

I have my home made Thein separator in line with the old vac though its only 68mm plumbing. with that in place I never have to empty the vac container, I just take the filter out and shake it now and then to get rid of clingy lightweight dust. 99% of debris is caught by the separator and its easy to empty. I think I'd miss the separator now I'll be on 100mm plumbing so if i have space I will probably reinstate something similar. It will need more crush resistance and or a relief valve I think.

that separator back in WH1 days...

[youtube]8CHtPKeCvD4[/youtube]
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 16 Jun 2015, 23:43

I've got the plastic bag version of this - works a treat.
It uses a similar clamp arrangement on the outside to support the bags.
Everything else is as discussed.
I only use 2 motors when using my planer/thicknesser as a single one sucks most things.
It probably needs a safety valve as its so powerful that when I got something stuck in the pipe it sucked the base into itself!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery