It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:21

Clarke air cleaner smoking

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Clarke air cleaner smoking

Postby wallace » 05 Jul 2015, 16:17

Hi all, they say things come in 3's its the turn of my air cleaner which lost some magic smoke. I noticed a burning smell and noticed wisps coming from my air cleaner. I thought it was toast so took it down to investigate and maybe get a new fan. I tested it on the bench and the motor ran but it struggled to get going and went a bit backwords before going the right direction. I found a manual online with a blown up parts diagram. I was thinking capacitor? I bet these air cleaners are obsolete now, but have sent Clarke an email anyway.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Clarke air cleaner smoking

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2015, 16:31

Quite likely to be a capacitor. Fan motors are of the permanent split phase type which rely on continuous connection of one winding via a capacitor. Depending on where the smoke came from, the run winding could have damaged insulation. Of course if it came from the capacitor - obvious split and or staining, then changing it could be a full solution. Keep it under observation for a while.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 05 Jul 2015, 20:27

Thanks Bob. Another symptom that happened prior to the smoke loss was that the fan spontaneously came on by itself. It was plugged in but I had not switched it on. When I tried to switch it off with the remote it would not work. Neither would any of the speed settings or timer.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2015, 20:40

I've no idea about the controllers in these things.

I presume you have disconnected all that and just applied power to the motor and it did not run, or was it when you did this that the smoke escaped?

The controller is probably toast and in any case almost impossible to repair without circuit diagrams and electronic knowledge.

If you can get the fan working, just fit a manual switch and chuck the rest.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby DaveL » 05 Jul 2015, 21:55

I have a home made air cleaner and use a remote socket to control it.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Return to Machines & Power Toolery