It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:52

Dust Collector Upgrade

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust Collector Upgrade

Postby DaveL » 09 Jul 2015, 14:40

I bought a 1hp dust collector quite quickly after buying my planner thicknesser to stop the shavings dropping back into the machine and marking the surface finish as they got crimped under the freed rollers.
I worked OK but was not good at collecting the fine dust which came out though the cloth filter bag.
I then built a cyclone, using plans from Wood magazine, taking the blower of the orginal machine to power it, this has worked well, but I now have more machines and therefore more soil pipe work connected to it, the 1hp motor was not keeping up with the expansion.
A few weeks ago I had an email from Axminster advertising a machinery sale, and there was a 3hp dust collector listed, so I bought one.
ImageIMG_20150611_181615 by Dave, on Flickr
Large box delivered while I was at work.
ImageIMG_20150611_183538 by Dave, on Flickr
this was what I was after, the spec looked good
ImageIMG_20150611_183456 by Dave, on Flickr
just look at that air flow.
I use remote control sockets to control the collector, this new motor would be a problem, the start up surge would almost certainly blow the internal relay, also the NVR needs to be removed.
ImageIMG_20150704_194221 by Dave, on Flickr
On opening the boxes on the new motor, it looked a bit more complicated than for the old one. I bought a relay, 240v coil with changer contacts rated at 30A.
ImageIMG_20150704_194235 by Dave, on Flickr
It turned out that this motor had a thermal overload wired into the NVR to kill the feed if it got too hot, the A1 contact is the hold in coil and is feed though the overload circuit.
ImageIMG_20150704_194619 by Dave, on Flickr
The smaller black and brown wires are connected to the overload contacts.
I removed the NVR completely, I used a scrap bit of Perspex to close the hole where the NVR had been mounted.
ImageIMG_20150705_165253 by Dave, on Flickr
The new relay is inside the box, there are now 2 mains leads, the original black one provides the power, its connected to the relay contacts, while a new grey mains lead is used to control the relay, it is in series with the overload contact. The grey lead is plugged into the remote control socket, the fob now turns on some major suck when required, I don't think I will have as many problems with stuff laying in the pipe work.

Sorting the electrics was the easy bit, I had to disassemble the cyclone off the wall and remount it a few inches to the right, the new motor hit on a rafter, that was a hot dusty job, I was well pleased when it was finished.

I still need to sort out a warning system for when the dust bin is full. :?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: Dust Collector Upgrade

Postby chataigner » 10 Jul 2015, 07:30

Looks interesting. What will you use for ducting ? Axi says 150mm, or 3 x 100.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby DaveL » 10 Jul 2015, 08:14

I have used 110 mm soil pipe, the system has grown over the years. If I was starting from scratch I would use 150 mm metal ductwork, but I don't think it will get swapped out now. The other thing I would like to do is fit a ramp inside the cyclone, it does appear to improve the separation, dropping more of the fine dust into the bin.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby cartman1973 » 10 Jul 2015, 15:32

Hi
Any chance you could post a pic of how you have mounted your cyclone and blower? I've just acquired a SIP version of your new 3HP to pair with a Cyclone Central 100mm cyclone and a steel collection drum, venting outside (somehow) and any info on things to consider would be really useful.
Cheers
Gavin
cartman1973
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Jul 2015, 18:51

Gavin, welcome to the forum.
I do not think you will be disappointed with the Cyclone Central cyclone. Had mine for about a year now and have not regretted it. I do need to put a viewing window in the drum below the cyclone as I had a shock when I had a look inside last week and it was nearly full.

If you have a moment please introduce yourself in our Welcome (Introductions) Board and tell us a little about the woodwork you do. Any photos always go down well although you will need to make another couple of posts before you can post images.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Machines & Power Toolery