It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:12

How much concavity is acceptable on PT surfacing tables?

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

How much concavity is acceptable on PT surfacing tables?

Postby Worstcombi » 19 Aug 2015, 23:45

Hello good people,

I've just purchased an AW106PT2 from Axminster.I'm having several issues with it, that's before I've even switched it on!

On first inspection I noticed the thicknesser bed was out of alignment with the cutter block - not by a few thou, but by a country mile, well 3mm anyway. Was just about to call Axminster when I noticed the central column mounting plate was bolted down over a piece of metal trim at one corner. Sorted that one.

Noticed the surfacing table wasn't square to the cutter block, probably not an issue, but very disconcerting to look at as the table's about 2mm further away from the block at one end.

Blades miles out, so I set about setting them. Next problem, chip-breaker bolts appears to be tightened up by Geoff Capes in a fit of rage! The supplied spanner, which seems to be made of cheese, disintegrated when trying to undo the first bolt - and yes, I was screwing them in towards the chip-breaker. Three spanners later and two of the three blades are out, last one has two bolts that just won't budge - shall see what Axminster suggest tomorrow as I've now ruined all my 7mm spanners.

The two blades that I managed to get out have deep gouges down the back of them, which seem to tie in with dings in the block behind the chip breaker.

Managed to cut myself on a shard of sharp plastic on the in feed table adjustment knob.

Which brings me onto my original question. Both surfacing tables are concave along their length by about 6 or 7 thou. Do you think this is acceptable? Seems a bit too much to me. according to my dial test indicator the table is also about 6 thou lower on one side and there doesn't appear to be any way of adjusting it.

Very disappointed with this machine, it's just seems thrown together with zero quality control, even the labels and logos are coming away. Was going to buy the Jet, but this one was heavily discounted - big mistake. Will speak to Axi tomorrow, but I think it might be going back.

Cheers
Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Name: Simon

Re: How much concavity is acceptable on PT surfacing tables?

Postby kirkpoore1 » 20 Aug 2015, 03:42

Wow, that one sounds like a real lemon.

When you say surfacing tables, do mean the planing tables? I am not really familiar with planer/thicknessers, but if it's the planing tables, they look like they tilt out of the way (I went to Axminster's website to see) and that there are some adjustment bolts. If it's the thicknesser bed, I can't tell from their pictures. However, if the thicknesser bed is lifted from below, I would think you would be able to adjust for the side-to-side tilt by shimming one side or the other. But that's just a guess without some pictures of the mechanism.

As far as your lengthwise dishing, I'd just try it an see what you get. That is, once you get your knives back in the cutterhead. Good luck with the bolts.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby RogerS » 20 Aug 2015, 06:32

Hi Simon

Seeing that this item is now out of stock and given the number of problems you've got I would suggest sending it back for a refund and look elsewhere. It sounds as if you've got one that has done the rounds.

It is also a question of YGWYPF, I'm afraid. It's all very well slapping Trade on a machine but there's more to it then that. Personally I loath P/T's where the tables swing up. Unless you're paying Hammer prices.

ROger
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Worstcombi » 20 Aug 2015, 07:25

kirkpoore1 wrote:Wow, that one sounds like a real lemon.

When you say surfacing tables, do mean the planing tables? I am not really familiar with planer/thicknessers, but if it's the planing tables, they look like they tilt out of the way (I went to Axminster's website to see) and that there are some adjustment bolts. If it's the thicknesser bed, I can't tell from their pictures. However, if the thicknesser bed is lifted from below, I would think you would be able to adjust for the side-to-side tilt by shimming one side or the other. But that's just a guess without some pictures of the mechanism.

Hi Kirk,

Yes it's the planing tables which are swing aways. There are adjustment bolts, but they seem to be locked with steel pins driven through the hinge into the table. I don't want to start drilling them out, as it may well go back. The thicknesser bed is ok now. Not sure adjusting them would help if they're concave anyway TBH. I might be able to take out the slope across the width by adjusting the table locking studs.

Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Postby Worstcombi » 20 Aug 2015, 07:42

RogerS wrote:Hi Simon

Seeing that this item is now out of stock and given the number of problems you've got I would suggest sending it back for a refund and look elsewhere. It sounds as if you've got one that has done the rounds.

It is also a question of YGWYPF, I'm afraid. It's all very well slapping Trade on a machine but there's more to it then that. Personally I loath P/T's where the tables swing up. Unless you're paying Hammer prices.

ROger

Thanks Roger, I bought the machine based on positive reviews. Was meant to be an upgrade from the PT on my Bestcombi - which shouldn't be difficult! Had an old Elu many moons ago with fixed alloy tables, produced sublime results and never went out of square.

Did look at buying secondhand, but there aren't enough hours in the day at the moment, so collecting, fettling and titivating lovely old British cast Iron is not really an option. Since the advent of eBay, secondhand prices seem to have gone rapidly skywards.

Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 20 Aug 2015, 07:44

Simon

Personally I don't think that a 6/7 thou dip in the middle (?) of the table is going to make that much difference TBH.

It is only wood, after all. I don't buy into the engineering viewpoint that many people adopt when it comes to woodworking. That's not a subtle dig at anyone here, BTW.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Worstcombi » 20 Aug 2015, 09:39

RogerS wrote:Simon

Personally I don't think that a 6/7 thou dip in the middle (?) of the table is going to make that much difference TBH.

It is only wood, after all. I don't buy into the engineering viewpoint that many people adopt when it comes to woodworking. That's not a subtle dig at anyone here, BTW.

You're probably right, It's just been very frustrating trying to get this machine set-up. Have bought quite a bit of kit over the last few weeks and had problems with quite a lot of it.

UJK cast-iron router table: mitre slot almost 1mm wider at one end and impossible to use - Axminster replaced top, now a superb table.
Record Power BS350s bandsaw: wheel kit not delivered - RP couriered a new one next day. Very happy with it though.
RP Whetstone grinder: wheel crumbling in middle - RP replaced no questions asked.
Axminster AW10BSB2 table saw: extension tables and fence missing from delivery. Ax couriered missing parts next day. Courier dropped them dinged corner of table and fence - just cosmetic so used them anyway, although they did lose the packet of set screw,s so needed to buy more - it's a good saw though, spot-on out of the box.

I can't fault either RP or Axminster's customer service, but it's all getting a little annoying.

Cheers
SImon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 20 Aug 2015, 10:55

To be honest, Simon, these days I find myself surprised when something actually works properly first-time.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Worstcombi » 21 Aug 2015, 11:36

Have had a response from Axminster. They're going to send an engineer to check the machine over. They can't just exchange it as it's gone end-of-line. I must say I can't fault their response time. Sent them an email at 11pm, had a phone call at 9am the following day.

I then have the option whether to keep it or not.

Fingers crossed
Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Return to Machines & Power Toolery