It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:46

Detecting when the dustbin is full

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Detecting when the dustbin is full

Postby DaveL » 26 Aug 2015, 09:35

Last year we had a thread where the problem of knowing when the bin on the dust collector is full, I suggested a paddle the gets slowed by the rising dust level.
Here is my first go at this solution.
The paddle is rotated by a small 12v motor at 5rpm.
The small power supply has resistor in series with the motor and when the voltage across the resistor increases, the sounder and LED are turned on.
It is still in a trail phase, I will keep an eye on it, I think I might need to add a couple of blades to the current paddle, if the bin is a bit too full when it sounds the alarm.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: Detecting when the dustbin is full

Postby Wizard9999 » 26 Aug 2015, 09:47

The ingenuity displayed on this site never ceases to amaze me :eusa-clap: .

As you say, by the time the device is triggered the bin will be brimming with dust, so lowering the detection point a bit may improve it further.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 26 Aug 2015, 10:59

I've a couple of other solutions on the round-2-it list.
1 Capacitive proximity sensor few quid on ebay

2 Optical method. Shine a light across the inlet hose with some sort of time constant to look for continuous blocking of the beam.

I would then use that signal to shut off the extractor rather than just an alarm.

Nice to see someone has got off the pot and done something though :eusa-clap:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 26 Aug 2015, 15:27

Obviously you just sit your bin on a see saw, with a counterweight on the other end which is of the weight of a (full) bin+ contents. When that tips due to the bin being full, it releases a big heavy steel ball to roll along a slide, which tips a sprung loaded thingamyjig which bashes into a pole with a weight in a basket at the top, which falls off and lands on another see-saw, triggering the release of the big plastic cage to rattled down a pole onto the top of the rat. Or something...
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Aug 2015, 16:00

Mike G wrote:Obviously you just sit your bin on a see saw, with a counterweight on the other end which is of the weight of a (full) bin+ contents. When that tips due to the bin being full, it releases a big heavy steel ball to roll along a slide, which tips a sprung loaded thingamyjig which bashes into a pole with a weight in a basket at the top, which falls off and lands on another see-saw, triggering the release of the big plastic cage to rattled down a pole onto the top of the rat. Or something...

:D :D I much prefer the Wallace and Gromit solution
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby kirkpoore1 » 26 Aug 2015, 17:49

9fingers wrote:I've a couple of other solutions on the round-2-it list.
1 Capacitive proximity sensor few quid on ebay

2 Optical method. Shine a light across the inlet hose with some sort of time constant to look for continuous blocking of the beam.

I would then use that signal to shut off the extractor rather than just an alarm.

Nice to see someone has got off the pot and done something though :eusa-clap:

Bob

I've got one that uses method 2. It uses a garage door sensor to detect a light blockage, and that triggers a strobe light and sound after a moderate delay. Works fine, except that the strobe light isn't very visible in my shop (my back is to it when running my thicknesser), and I have the sound turned off to avoid a startle reflex when doing something critical dangerous. Made by a guy in North Carolina.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Wizard9999 » 26 Aug 2015, 18:03

Andyp wrote:
Mike G wrote:Obviously you just sit your bin on a see saw, with a counterweight on the other end which is of the weight of a (full) bin+ contents. When that tips due to the bin being full, it releases a big heavy steel ball to roll along a slide, which tips a sprung loaded thingamyjig which bashes into a pole with a weight in a basket at the top, which falls off and lands on another see-saw, triggering the release of the big plastic cage to rattled down a pole onto the top of the rat. Or something...

But doesn't the sawdust created from different woods weigh significantly different amounts? "How about a nice cup of tea and then back to the drawing board, eh lad!"
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 26 Aug 2015, 18:10

Wizard9999 wrote:
Andyp wrote:

But doesn't the sawdust created from different woods weigh significantly different amounts? "How about a nice cup of tea and then back to the drawing board, eh lad!"

Indeed it does. Also a for any given timber type, a bin full of shavings will weigh less than a bin full of sawdust which will weigh less than a bin full of sander dust.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2015, 19:02

Mine empties into clear plastic sacks

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 27 Aug 2015, 13:00

Rod wrote:Mine empties into clear plastic sacks

Rod

Heaven forbid you are suggesting this is a non-problem and doesn't need solving! No chance of a job at Apple for you Rod ;) .
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Newbie_Neil » 27 Aug 2015, 14:28

Rod wrote:Mine empties into clear plastic sacks Rod

+ 1.

Wizard9999 wrote:Heaven forbid you are suggesting this is a non-problem and doesn't need solving! No chance of a job at Apple for you Rod ;) .

That is excellent news. :lol: :lol:
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby tracerman » 27 Aug 2015, 17:12

Its so gratifying to see that the Great British Eccentric is still alive , at least in spirit , and that the great Heath-Robinson is being emulated . Presumably the bin if filled will be quite heavy to lift , so why not simply put a Perspex window in the bin at an optimum level , then visit the bin every day and empty it when you see the level over the window . Sorry to be a party pooper . posting.php?mode=reply&f=23&t=1304#

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Andyp » 27 Aug 2015, 17:16

I think Steve that this has been tried and the perspex window soon gets scratched and or covered in dust to such an extent as to render it opaque.

I operate the tap it with a stick method. My highly trained ears can detect how full the bin is by the resonance of the "tap".
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 27 Aug 2015, 18:45

I have 2 bins, on casters so in theory when one is full it can be rolled away and replaced by the other.
The main problem with checking before using the dust collector is the rate at which the planer/thicknesser produces shavings at.
I cannot use a plastic bag to collect the dust, the way the cyclone works, the bin is at a negative pressure and the bag would be sucked up the pipe.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 27 Aug 2015, 18:56

Mine has a wire cage to prevent that but it didn't prevent this when it suffered a blockage!

I also use two bags one inside the other.
The damage was easily repaired.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery