It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:27

Converting three phase machine to single phase

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Converting three phase machine to single phase

Postby Wizard9999 » 27 Sep 2015, 16:21

So, real dumb question, how easy is it to get a three phase converted? Is it as simple as having an inverter of the correct size for the size of the motor?

Please remember I know nothing about electrics and have specifically not asked how I would do it, because I couldn't, rather how easy it is for a person who knows what they are doing to do it. So no need for technical detail, high level answers only required.

If it is relatively easy, any indication of cost to have it done would also be helpful.

Many thanks in advance,
Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Converting three phase machine to single phase

Postby 9fingers » 27 Sep 2015, 21:04

Wizard9999 wrote:So, real dumb question, how easy is it to get a three phase converted? Is it as simple as having an inverter of the correct size for the size of the motor?

Well sort of but there are wiring and control issues to sort out and it usually needs to be the right type of motor (dual voltage) but I have workrounds for single voltage motors.

Wizard9999 wrote:Please remember I know nothing about electrics and have specifically not asked how I would do it, because I couldn't, rather how easy it is for a person who knows what they are doing to do it. So no need for technical detail, high level answers only required.

Yes it is doddle if you know what you are doing

Wizard9999 wrote:If it is relatively easy, any indication of cost to have it done would also be helpful.

Paying commercially to have it is not likely to be an economic but you do have a friend who can do it. Costs depend on how cheaply I can get a used inverter suited to the task. It will nearly always be cheaper than changing the motor. Also motor changes can lead to a whole host of mechanical issues which will need engineering expertise (oh bu88er, I can sort those out too!)

Wizard9999 wrote:Many thanks in advance,
Terry.

PM me with details including a photo of the motor plate nice and sharp so I can read all the numbers.

You could also read the document linked to in the footer of all my messages.
Skim read it setting aside any "can't understand - won't understand" feelings :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 27 Sep 2015, 22:39

Thanks Bob. It is not a specific machine at the moment, I just wanted to know whether 3 phase was an option when I am looking at a planer/thicknesser. I watched a Sedgewick on eBay that has recently gone for just over £1,000. Compared to a new mass produced Chinese sourced one that seemed decent value, but it was 3 phase so the feasibility / economics were in my mind.

I plan to go to the D&M tool show in a couple of weeks and won't buy anything until I have had a look around there.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2015, 13:45

Terry,
You can be confident when buying 3phase machines that I will have a solution for the conversion to single phase operation. Endof!
I've done loads and never had a failure or an "impossible" one. I offer 30 day money back if not delighted as well as 12 month warranty. So far over 6-7 years I've had only one warranty claim and that was only a cooling fan failure.
Recently I been doing some for air raid sirens sent to North America and currently I have a job to convert a 4 motor machine with a mixture of variable and fixed speeds.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rob » 28 Sep 2015, 14:02

There y'go Terry...that would put a Sedgewick or even recon'd Wadkin in focus for me :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery