It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:06

Christmas has come early for me!

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Christmas has come early for me!

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 17:36

I've been looking for a 4 post thicknesser with an induction motor for best part of two years.

I hate screeching brush motors with a passion both to use and to repair. I also want a thicknesser where the cutting table is fixed and the cutter head goes up and down. This enables me to use my saw table as an outfeed extension.
These two constraints rule out virtually every machine on the UK market. I've been looking at importing from US where retailers are reluctant to deal with UK customers and buying used needs a great deal of help from friends in the US. One way or another each attempt has failed and I'd almost given up.
Recently a UK friend said could I thickness a board for him that was14" wide and my current lunchbox thicknesser is limiter to 12.5" so I started looking again and found this in UK only about 2 hours away, north of London.

Even better for me, it needs some work on the motor which would put most people off but as you know I "do" motors, so will provide a good challenge and a reduced price as a non runner.

I'm due to pick it up on Sunday just in time for Christmas. I wonder if I'll be allowed into the workshop on Christmas day to play with my present to myself?? :lol:

Getting quite excited already!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Christmas has come early for me!

Postby Wizard9999 » 14 Dec 2015, 17:45

Yes, saw your enquiry on "the other forum". Quite lucky if I recall correctly as it was a very old add. Enjoy your new toy :) .

Terry.

PS Thinking about it, surely there must be some beaten up, non-working 100 year old pieces of British cast iron out there, I thought that was what we should be buying :lol: ;) .
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 18:04

Wizard9999 wrote:
PS Thinking about it, surely there must be some beaten up, non-working 100 year old pieces of British cast iron out there, I thought that was what we should be buying :lol: ;) .

:lol: But as I said above, I don't believe there ever was a British cast iron four post thicknesser made and this was the specification of what I wanted.
They only seem to be on the American market and I'm an equal fan of US cast iron.
Both you and I have a clone of the classic Rockwell Delta Unisaw - so we appreciate US designs - even if they were copied by the Chinese.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 14 Dec 2015, 18:56

You've got to tidy up first to make room for it surely. How big is that thing?

Well done BTW. Enjoy.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 14 Dec 2015, 19:10

Nice job, Bob....should keep you busy for a while!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby chataigner » 14 Dec 2015, 19:17

Ah, one like that would be splendid. I had a quite decent lunch-box thicknesser, but sold it when I bought the combination machine. Wish I'd kept it now, changing over from planer to thicknesser is rather tedious.

Look forward to seeing your posts on getting it up to scratch.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby DaveL » 14 Dec 2015, 19:54

New one Bob, I remember Philly getting one, it was walked up the drive by 4 of his mates using lengths of 4*2. The fixed height bed is a very nice feature.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 19:57

DaveL wrote:New one Bob, I remember Philly getting one, it was walked up the drive by 4 of his mates using lengths of 4*2. The fixed height bed is a very nice feature.

Yes the manual talks about the "sedan planer" method and has a few warnings about it being a 4 man lift!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 20:09

Some of you might recall the novel stand that I made some years ago and wrote up in the old haven.

I've found a few photos

The stand has a flip over section with a pair of gas springs to counterbalance the machine weight.
In the closed position it is wheeled under a bench.

When needed it is rolled out and flipped over such that the planer bed is exactly level with the table saw

The green planer is now in Terry's custody and in it's place I currently have a Dewalt DW733.

I estimate that the new machine will have a base foot print of around 500mm square. I will either use the same method to flip over the Delta or plan B will be an elevating platform to raise the machine from storage position to the working position. I will be discarding the outfeed rollers and devising some scheme to make the infeed rollers readily detachable.

First job will be to sort out the motor and then find the weight and overall dimensions to start designing the storage stand.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 14 Dec 2015, 20:33

Is that 3 phase?

The thing I particularly like about it is the roller bed. I am sick to death of the friction on my flat plate thicknesser bed being too much for the rollers, and having to force the work through the machine manually. I've contemplated making a roller bed as an after-market alteration to my machine, but realised I probably couldn't do it accurately enough. I'd be better off just buying a new (old) PT.

I reckon that such a set up would make a sled a viable option, allowing one to flatten a twisted board.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 20:44

Mike G wrote:Is that 3 phase?

The thing I particularly like about it is the roller bed. I am sick to death of the friction on my flat plate thicknesser bed being too much for the rollers, and having to force the work through the machine manually. I've contemplated making a roller bed as an after-market alteration to my machine, but realised I probably couldn't do it accurately enough. I'd be better off just buying a new (old) PT.

I reckon that such a set up would make a sled a viable option, allowing one to flatten a twisted board.

A little wax on your planer bed might help Mike.

The duff motor is single phase and I hope to coax it back to life. If it is terminal, then I will possibly fit a three phase one and use an inverter to give a) soft start, b) braking c) get the cutter speed up to where it should be. The machine is made for the US market and hence the two pole motor would run at around 3600 rpm whereas in uk is will only run at a bit under 3000 rpm.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 14 Dec 2015, 20:55

Wax? I've tried every different wax I own, also saw dust, talcum powder, silicon spray......I've tried slackening the pressure of the rollers to reduce the friction on the bed, but that reduces the roller friction on the timber. Same result. I've tried increasing the pressure, hoping the grip on the top of the timber would offset the increased friction underneath. Once in a blue moon a piece of timber will travel half way through the machine under its own volition, but the blessed thing really is sent to try me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 21:23

Mike G wrote:Wax? I've tried every different wax I own, also saw dust, talcum powder, silicon spray......I've tried slackening the pressure of the rollers to reduce the friction on the bed, but that reduces the roller friction on the timber. Same result. I've tried increasing the pressure, hoping the grip on the top of the timber would offset the increased friction underneath. Once in a blue moon a piece of timber will travel half way through the machine under its own volition, but the blessed thing really is sent to try me.

I have a tin of Simonize hard car wax. I was given it when I had my first car in 1970. 45 years later, I've not wasted much time polishing my cars so I do have a little left now and it is great for table saw, jointer, thicknesser and home made jigs. I've no idea if you can still buy it but there are waxes sold for machine tables - I think Liberon make one.
http://www.liberon.co.uk/accessories/lu ... ImfA%3D%3D
but I've never tried it.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby the bear » 14 Dec 2015, 21:42

Mike when I get that problem it is usually the rubber rollers (its a DW733 same as Bob's getting rid of) that need cleaning of very fine sawdust.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Dec 2015, 22:23

Mark, mine has steel drive-rollers.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 22:39

Mike G wrote:Mark, mine has steel drive-rollers.

What is the make of the machine Mike. Ive seen serrated metal infeed and rubber out feed but not metal only and I presume smooth? otherwise they would grip.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Stargazer » 14 Dec 2015, 22:59

9fingers wrote:Some of you might recall the novel stand that I made some years ago and wrote up in the old haven.

Ahh, this is what you described to me at the Axminster open day visit and told me about the writeup, but I never did locate it before the old WH vanished. Thanks for posting this.

Cheers

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Wizard9999 » 14 Dec 2015, 23:42

9fingers wrote:...or plan B will be an elevating platform to raise the machine from storage position to the working position...

I hope you got for this option Bob, that sounds like it would be an enjoyable WIP to follow!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 14 Dec 2015, 23:57

Wizard9999 wrote:
9fingers wrote:...or plan B will be an elevating platform to raise the machine from storage position to the working position...

I hope you got for this option Bob, that sounds like it would be an enjoyable WIP to follow!

Terry.

A lot depends on
A) the weight and
B) the height of the machine above the planer bed which will decide if there is enough room to swing it through 180 degrees.
I'm currently using 2 off 1200N gas springs for the DW733 and I'd need quite a bit more force to balance the turning moment of the Delta.

Already I'm starting to think I'll need be taking the plan B approach so your wishes may come true Terry.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 16 Dec 2015, 10:48

Nice looking beast and 15" even better.
Mine will only do 10" and it really annoys having to cut down wider boards to fit.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Dec 2015, 18:47

Bob:

I'm glad you were able to find what you needed. Sorry I was not able to help on your search.

Mike:
If waxing isn't working for you, there could be issues with your drive rollers or the pressure bar. It would likely be worthwhile to give your planer a full tune-up. Have a look here:
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Getting%20Peak%20Planer%20Performance.ashx

When I go over my thicknesser, it usually takes an hour or so, assuming I'm not setting the knives.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to Machines & Power Toolery