It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:48

Cutting a mortice with a multitool

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Cutting a mortice with a multitool

Postby Commander » 24 Dec 2015, 09:10

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I have seen some very impressive videos about what a multi tool can do and yesterday I had the pleasure of doing some quick odds and ends with the Bosch version and was very impressed with it. SO this got me to wondering if it would be possible to use the multi tool to cut a mortice. I understand that there would definitely be limitations to how small you could cut the mortice as well as how deep, but to my mind it should be doable.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this before?
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Re: Cutting a mortice with a multitool

Postby chippy1970 » 24 Dec 2015, 09:43

I think you'd find the accuracy wouldn't be good enough. I've got the fein multimaster , I'm sure I could cut a mortice with it but it would be fiddly. Also you would have to drill or chisel out the waste ,time you've done that you might as well not bother with the multitool

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
chippy1970
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Commander » 24 Dec 2015, 10:18

Thanks for the reply, I did some googeling and it seems like your sentiments are shared by most of the guys out there... Seems like I will have to sharpen my chisels and up my skills!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Robert » 24 Dec 2015, 10:46

I cut a mortice with a multitool yesterday... kind of. i fitted a door lock and cut the recess in the frame for the latch plate with a multitool. It did help as i usually manage at least one small split in the frame when hacking out with a chisel and didn't have that problem with the multitool cutting the sides to full depth first.

As you have found though not accurate enough for joinery.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby StevieB » 24 Dec 2015, 11:40

+1 for the 'no' camp. Not only is the accuracy poor, the first cut into solid timber means there is nowhere for the waste to go, which can result in the blade getting very hot and blunting very quickly. I find my multitool great for getting into spaces where a normal saw wouldn't be possible, or for odd jobs such as trimming the bottom of in situ skirting, but if you can get a dedicated tool for a job then it tends to be better in my experience.

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery