It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:10

Triton TRA001 - poor design

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Triton TRA001 - poor design

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2016, 10:26

There's a thread over on UKW about this router becoming difficult to height adjust. I happened to need to use my table mounted one the other day and I'd quite forgotten what a dismal dispiriting experience it is trying to finely or even coarsely adjust the height once the Triton has been used a bit.

I've tried cleaning out the teeth and cogs but the design is fundamentally a very weak one IMO and I would never buy another Triton. I see I posted a thread about it back in 2014 and on reflection never managed to satisfactorily repair it - hence why I hardly ever use it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Triton TRA001 - poor design

Postby Rod » 25 Jan 2016, 11:08

Glad I bought a DW625

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 25 Jan 2016, 11:40

Hope I'm not speaking too soon but I've never had a problem with mine. Fine and coarse adjustment work fine and I've never had it apart to clean it. I did take the springs out when I first got it but nothing done to it since.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2016, 12:40

Robert wrote:Hope I'm not speaking too soon but I've never had a problem with mine. Fine and coarse adjustment work fine and I've never had it apart to clean it. I did take the springs out when I first got it but nothing done to it since.

I wonder how much use yours has had relative to mine? Also, if your internals are all metal then that works in your favour. I replaced my plastic ones with metal but the overall affect is still dire.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby chataigner » 25 Jan 2016, 21:20

Robert wrote:Hope I'm not speaking too soon but I've never had a problem with mine. Fine and coarse adjustment work fine and I've never had it apart to clean it. I did take the springs out when I first got it but nothing done to it since.

+1, mine has been 100% for several years. Like Robert, I took the springs out as it lives in the table.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2016, 08:04

You probably use yours more than I have ever used mine which belonged to the late Barry Burgess back in 2007. The springs have been removed all that time and I do not have a problem with adjustment either.

Argee (Ray Girling) over on UKW was the font of all knowledge regarding Triton stuff might be worth contacting him.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 26 Jan 2016, 08:14

Andyp wrote:You probably use yours more than I have ever used mine which belonged to the late Barry Burgess back in 2007. The springs have been removed all that time and I do not have a problem with adjustment either.

Argee (Ray Girling) over on UKW was the font of all knowledge regarding Triton stuff might be worth contacting him.

Hi Andy...I've already been in touch with Ray, thanks. TBH it has not had that much use.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery