It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:23

Krafft KSS16D Scroll saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Krafft KSS16D Scroll saw

Postby Commander » 08 Feb 2016, 06:51

So my elderly downstairs neighbour calls me over yesterday and says she has something for me I must just fetch it from her car. Much to my surprise she hands over a scroll saw which looks like it has barely done any work since new! I was blown away by the awesome gift!

Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Phil, I suspect I will need some tutelage from you on how to use one of these! I would love some of your nice door stop pasterns to try out, I would like to make some door stops for the neighbour to say thanks for this awesome addition to my workshop! :eusa-dance:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Re: Krafft KSS16D Scroll saw

Postby Andyp » 08 Feb 2016, 09:51

Nice score. I am not familiar withe the make but if it works it is a goon 'un. In my own experience I have found that it is very easy to carry on sawing even after the blade is past its sharpest so try and source a stock of new blades.
Gill is our resident scroll saw expert, I am sure she will be along soon with more words of wisdom.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 08 Feb 2016, 11:22

The blade ends come in two flavours. Pinned ends, like junior hacksaw blades and plain like piecing saw blades.
You need to look at which type your machine uses before buying spares.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Commander » 08 Feb 2016, 11:38

Thanks for the tips guys, I have never used one so I will be doing some reading up!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Commander » 14 Feb 2016, 22:49

I managed to do 2 quick cuts with the scroll saw on the weekend, it was vibrating like crazy (not too sure if the extent of it was normal) and it seems to cut well. I am looking forward to learning how to use it properly!
P.s. It has the pinned blades and the bade can be clipped into one of too notches so the blade will either cut from the front or the side. (I hope that makes sense!)
Commander
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 14 Feb 2016, 23:12

I'm no scrollsaw expert but I'd expect some sort of counterbalance system to remove most of the vibration.
maybe yours is either missing or in need of adjustment.

I'm sure we have a member here who has rebuilt scrollsaws in the past - might have been Phil ? Who might be able to advise. Otherwise a PM to Gill of this parish might yield some info.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Commander » 16 Feb 2016, 05:25

Thanks Bob, I have spoken to Phil and he has kindly offered to give me some lessons when our schedules align.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Rod » 16 Feb 2016, 12:07

I have a Hegner - it does vibrate a bit but only the part that's supposed to do
You have to lubricate the pivots from time to time and tighten the tension ( with the red knob at the back) after changing the blades.
Apart from that they are pretty basic.
The plastic cam shaft? which converts the rotary motion to an up and down one sheared on mine.
I made a new one out of aluminium reusing the existing bearings.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 17 Feb 2016, 05:20

Rod wrote:I have a Hegner - it does vibrate a bit but only the part that's supposed to do
You have to lubricate the pivots from time to time and tighten the tension ( with the red knob at the back) after changing the blades.
Apart from that they are pretty basic.
The plastic cam shaft? which converts the rotary motion to an up and down one sheared on mine.
I made a new one out of aluminium reusing the existing bearings.

Rod

:lol: Thanks Rod, that is helpful! I did adjust the tension, using the knob, but I'm not too sure exactly how tight it should be. Perhaps the saw is in need of a bit of an overhaul.
Commander
Sapling

Return to Machines & Power Toolery