It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:21

Auto-start on dc

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Auto-start on dc

Postby Halo Jones » 02 Mar 2016, 16:54

I know this has been covered before but none of the solutions offered work perfectly for the way my machines are set up.

Problems: auto-take off switches / master switches seem to be rated at max of 3kW which doesn't cover my CamVac and tablesaw, never mind plugging multiple things into the same socket (although as just me there would only ever be the CamVac and one other machine running at a time). The only thing it would be useful for is my CamVac and bandsaw.

Remote controls: If I were to go this way I would like to have a remote physically attached next to the on/off switch of each machine but the best I can find is two remotes programmed to a single plug whereas I would like at least 3or4.

I was therefore wondering if it would be possible to build a current sensing device attached to each machine that would then send a remote signal to the remote plug attached to the CamVac? I know this is naive but it seems so simple I wonder why it isn't available?

Any suggestions?

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Auto-start on dc

Postby RogerS » 02 Mar 2016, 18:06

Need a bit more information. For example, are all your machines all connected up to a centralised set of extraction pipes that then feed your CamVac? if so then they will have blast gates and I do know that some people have modified them to turn on the dust extraction when the gate local to the machine you intend using, is opened.

Or you could use one of these (which...ahem....I happen to have available for a not too extortionate price)

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 02 Mar 2016, 20:23

A bit of sideways thinking on this. Could you switch the DC with a pull cord, extending the cord round the shop in screw eyes to go passed each machine. Anchor the end and add a drop for each machine.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2016, 20:50

For the remote control method, keep the remote in your pocket then you only need one remote and one socket for the DC

For loads over 3kW, you can wire the remote socket into an NVR so it only has to carry the power of the contactor coil and not that of the whole machine.

I wrote this up for the old haven forum but has been lost now. The diagram is still on photobucket but no text

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 03 Mar 2016, 00:14

Sorry a YouTube video recently from the US, guy was fitting a system from Rockler where there was a gizmo that clipped around the power cable of each machine. When you start the machine the gizmo detects the current in the cable and switches on the dust collection. I believe it was also connected to motorised blast gates that opened and closed to direct flow to the correct machine, but I may be giving them too much credit on that one. Seemed jolly clever idea to me, but I'm guessing nothing similar in the UK... ...yet.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Halo Jones » 03 Mar 2016, 11:51

Thanks all for your replies. I think Bob has the simplest solution with putting the remote in your pocket. The major pitfall is that I can see myself walking back to house with it in my pocket and the next time I go back out I will spend 30 mins looking for the thing only to realise that it is now sitting on my bedside table!

What I really need to do is get an apron or coat that stays permanently in the 'shop and the remote stays permanently attached to that. Now that may work :eusa-think:

I only have a single hose that I move from machine to machine at the moment so while the whole blast gate control thing is cool it is way more than I need at the moment.....

I am still surprised there are not more off-the-shelf solutions for this at the moment. Seems to be a gap in the market. And don't get me started on lack of standardised dust ports on power tools!

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Mar 2016, 12:16

The reason this is not done much commercially as it is quite difficult to get a universal solution that will cope with a wide range of power drawn by different machines and installation difficulties for the average punter.
You can just clip something around the cable as there would be no differential current flowing. you have to do it around a single conductor within the cable thus violating warranties etc.
Some one did to a magnetic sensor to stick onto the motor (axminster?) but it was quite expensive and possibly did not sell well.

There is a module on amazon that can be interfaced to a DOL NVR and still retain the full NVR function unlike my solution above which might be suitable. It is about £8 and has two channels with NO and NC relays and a choice of momentary or continuous action.

The remote could be fitted on the workshop key ring which should be with you each time you visit the workshop and in your pocket once inside?

The other way I have seen is to run a string above head height around the workshop passing close to all points where you need the switch on the DC and have a pull switch on the end of the string. The way the old Routemaster buses used to for passengers signal wanting to get off at a request stop and the conductor signalling to leave a bus stop once everyone was seated.

Simple and effective.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 03 Mar 2016, 12:30

H, I do exactly has Rob has pointed out. One remote that controls the Camvac and I move one of two hoses around to suit the machines either lathe, bandsaw, TS, P/T.

If you are worried about carrying the remote into the house make a holder for it very close to the workshop door, or even on the workshop door. With a large sign above reminding you to replace the remote for next time.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 03 Mar 2016, 20:51

If you move the hose, why not tape the remote to the hose?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2016, 08:50

My last workshop had a pull chord attached to a double-pole switch on the ceiling, strategically placed so that I was never more than a couple of steps away from it. The switch (the same as isolates an electric shower from outside the bathroom) simply switched the socket the extractor was plugged into. In my new workshop, which is somewhat larger, I will eventually do what DaveL suggested: exactly the same arrangement, but a long chord available anywhere along the spine of the workshop.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 04 Mar 2016, 12:43

I've purchased a remote to see how I get on with it. Lets see how long it takes me to lose it!

Attaching remote to the base of hose is not practical as the dust ports are usually on the opposite side of the machine start switch.

The various pull cord ideas also have potential but would need a bit more work. They will be my plan B!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery