It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:25

New old drill

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: New old drill

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2016, 19:00

They hold the whole motor together often passing right through from end to end.
Older motors can some times have brass nuts which are easy to strip if over tightened hence my comment.

They need to be tight but not "popeye" tight!
Don't panic!
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Apr 2016, 19:27

OK, thanks Bob I'll stop worrying. When I replaced the bolts they slid in pretty easily so I don't think any thing is out of place.

Thanks for the help (but I fear there may be more to come. But at least I have the power lead wired up to the inventor now. Will have to pop out for some fixings tomorrow before I can mount the inventor next to the switch box, which I still think will make a good place to connect the wires.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Wizard9999 » 29 Apr 2016, 17:06

Well things are progressing well, but there now has to be a halt due to yet more stupidity on my part, and nothing to do with electrical matters this time :oops:

I went ahead with my plan to remount the switch and use it as a place to house the connection of the motor wires and the inverter. I decided to flip the back box of the switch so that what used to be the bottom with the motor wires is now at the top (just long enough luckily), this allows the wire from the inverter to enter conveniently at the bottom.

I decided to be super safe I would put the actual connection inside one of those plastic junction boxes, felt like the right thing to do given the whole switch box is metal. It did provide a very helpful earthing point though. I think the end result looks pretty good, I am pleased anyway.

I started the commissioning process following the very comprehensive notes Bob provided. I even got lucky and the drill turned the right way first time (a 50:50 chance apparently). It was fine until I got to the point where the process required me to do a bit of drilling, at which point I discovered that not all drill chucks keys are the same :? :oops: To be honest I think I had worked this out before, but it had escaped me, so I now have to pause until the chuck key I have just ordered arrives.

As a very positive by product of this process I am getting a much better understanding of how the drill is put together mechanically, which can't hurt. So far my initial impression that it is in very good shape and has been well looked after has been just been further reinforced by everything I have seen, for example not a single bolt or screw that has had to be undone has needed anything other than sensible pressure.

Terry.
Last edited by Wizard9999 on 29 Apr 2016, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 29 Apr 2016, 17:15

Looking good Terry,

Now the motor is spinning - nearly all the uncertainties are resolved.

I'd shorten the cable betwixt the old starter box and the inverter. If you don't want to cut it, then you coil coil most of it up inside the box. As it is, the loop is just asking to get caught in something at the least convenient moment! DAMHIKT

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 05 May 2016, 18:53

Chuck key arrived today. Followed Bob's very clear instructions for final installation and I'm pretty sure I didn't mess anything up, so apart from a good clean and stowing that surplus cable away it's all up and running :D .

In the short term the challenge is to get it lifted up onto the unit my previous (much lighter) drill is currently on :? , oh and at that point of course to find out if it will take the considerably increased weight :o .

I would like to replace the two missing advance handles, but that will be tricky. I know the dimension of the bar stock the remaining one is made of but I don't know what the thread on the end is. Given its age I am sure it is not metric, so even if I did go out and buy the kit needed to put a thread on replacement bar stock it would probably mean this is the only time I would ever use it. One to ponder for now I guess.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2016, 10:01

I'd eat my hat if there was not someone around here who could turn a thread on the end of a bar for you especially as you have a sample to work from.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 06 May 2016, 10:08

Andyp wrote:I'd eat my hat if there was not someone around here who could turn a thread on the end of a bar for you especially as you have a sample to work from.

I think your chapeau will remain intact Andy!

Terry if you want to post me your one surviving arm, I'm sure I could knock you up something.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 May 2016, 11:35

Thanks Bob, a gent as ever.

The bar is 0.375 inches diameter, i.e. 3/8" shall I get hold of some of that or is it easier for you to source it and then tell me what I owe you?

Thanks again,
Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 06 May 2016, 11:43

Wizard9999 wrote:Thanks Bob, a gent as ever.

The bar is 0.375 inches diameter, i.e. 3/8" shall I get hold of some of that or is it easier for you to source it and then tell me what I owe you?

Thanks again,
Terry.

No problem Terry I have that in stock. Lets put it on the mates slate; on the other side from that roofing adhesive you gave me!

If is not too much of a personal question, how big is the knob and I'll find something appropriate. :shock:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2016, 16:46

Thats a shame, I had just the thing. :D

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 May 2016, 18:36

9fingers wrote:If is not too much of a personal question, how big is the knob and I'll find something appropriate. :shock:

A rather unimpressive c.31mm Bob :oops: :lol:

I'll pack up the existing handle and try and get it into the post tomorrow. Thanks again.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery