It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:28

Dust extraction ducting

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust extraction ducting

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Apr 2016, 22:25

It took a whole lot longer than I hoped it would, but my ducting is finally in :D .

The motor and blower is wall mounted

The cyclone is mounted under this with a eBay purchased drop bin below it (which was used to ship fruit juice from the Caribbean to the UK apparently)
At the moment this sits on a tool case, but that will soon be replaced by a base on wheels so I can remove a full dust collector more easily.

The cyclone was also from eBay and this was not a complete success as the manufacture resulted in an inlet that seems to fit no known adapter or ducting. So very kindly Rob made me a bespoke adapter to get from the approx. 150mm on the cyclone to the 125mm on the blower, I then fixed a short section of my ducting into it and finished the connection with a small section of flexible hose. The flexible hose allows for everything above the collector to be lifted slightly when I need to pull the collector out.

And here is Rob in action making my adapter, at this stage the larger hole is made in he back and Rob is about to break through with the smaller hole

From the cyclone the duct branches with the lower section going to the table saw and the top run going up to the ceiling and across the workshop. There is a drop above the table saw blade for when I have had time to make a combined new guard / dust hood

It then runs on to the other side of the workshop and down the wall, splits again for a dedicated connection for the bandsaw and PT

Under the table saw I used a short section of the spiral duct to run under the cupboard as the clearance is so tight this fits but the flexible hose doesn't quite do so

I find it very annoying that the 125mm to 100mm reducers I bought to step down from the ducting to the machine ports does not fit on those ports but is the exact same size. I therefore had to use a very short section of 100mm hose cut from a piece I was lucky to have been given with my table saw, good news for jubilee clip makers as I ended up needing three for every connection to a machine (with a fourth where the 125mm hose meets the 125mm ducting a bit out of sight)

I am now starting on a filter box that I will connect to the back of the blower, as you can see above at the moment I am just using some hose to vent the blower out of the workshop door.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Dust extraction ducting

Postby tracerman » 07 Apr 2016, 22:57

Terry - extraction is a favourite subject of mine as may already be apparent so I of course admire the trouble you are going to and I hope it all performs for you . I also particularly admire the way in which you did not tidy up for the sake of the photos so we are seeing you as you really are . ( LOL) . Looking forward to a final report on that system . ( but is it ever really over ? )

Nice work anyway .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Apr 2016, 23:14

tracerman wrote:Terry - extraction is a favourite subject of mine as may already be apparent so I of course admire the trouble you are going to and I hope it all performs for you . I also particularly admire the way in which you did not tidy up for the sake of the photos so we are seeing you as you really are . ( LOL) . Looking forward to a final report on that system . ( but is it ever really over ? )

Nice work anyway .

Steve

Thanks Steve. Trust me, without me having cleared up first it would have been hard to see the ducting, :lol:, it may look messy now but before I cleared up :o

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 08 Apr 2016, 07:56

Great stuff Terry. Looks like a proper workshop now.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Apr 2016, 10:33

Very good Terry, it's coming together nicely now as others have said.

:text-bravo:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Doug » 09 Apr 2016, 11:12

Looking good Terry, could I ask if the take off from the main outlet on your bandsaw to what looks like the underside of the table is factory fit or a modification? Also how well does it work?

My crappy old Axminster bandsaw has two 4" take offs but I've never got satisfactory extraction from it even when running two extractors, one off each port which is also a bit of a pain.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 09 Apr 2016, 13:47

Doug wrote:Looking good Terry, could I ask if the take off from the main outlet on your bandsaw to what looks like the underside of the table is factory fit or a modification? Also how well does it work?

My crappy old Axminster bandsaw has two 4" take offs but I've never got satisfactory extraction from it even when running two extractors, one off each port which is also a bit of a pain.

The Record Power BS400 comes with that little take off pipe standard, but it is not very effective at all in my experience. I had wondered if it was because it was running off my HVLP extractor and thought about blocking up the out let in the main port and just hooking my shop vac to the under table opening. But maybe your experience suggests that would be more trouble than it is worth.

Terry.

PS, still getting used to new system, spent 15 mins on tha bandsaw this morning beore I realised my blast gate was closed and I had been extracting the tablesaw :oops: :lol:
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 09 Apr 2016, 14:03

Thanks for the response Terry, I've tried a few things with mine but your photo has got me wondering, if I was to try something like that I imagine I would have to reduce the apature of the main duct as it comes off the machine so as to spilt the suction.
I've been cleaning around the bandsaw this morning as I ran out 8 joists, some 3x2" & some framing out last week & the amount of saw dust around & in the machine is unbelievable, I really need to come up with something.

Re not opening your blast gate I can sympathise there, I took out my blast gated system & one of the reasons for removing it was the times I forgot to open the right gate :evil:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 18 May 2016, 18:49

Tidy system Terry! I've never regretted ducting our system back at the workshop...life changing!

Here's an arty shot of a section of our ducting for the 'Duct-fanciers' amongst us (of which I am one :lol: )

5hp, twin bag, 200mm main runs reducing down to 150mm at the machines.

Out of interest... Do you earthbond your Spiral duct to ground any static? Effectively it would be bonded if the continuity is maintained back to the motor housing and controls, but it could be lost over the (wooden) blast gate junctions? ...Which are very cool BTW

Cheers,

Jim

PS. The Ductstore is now in my bookmarks for the new gaff 8-)
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 18 May 2016, 21:15

Jimmy Mack wrote:Out of interest... Do you earthbond your Spiral duct to ground any static? Effectively it would be bonded if the continuity is maintained back to the motor housing and controls, but it could be lost over the (wooden) blast gate junctions?

Honest answer, that had not even crossed my mind Jim, you've got me wondering now :shock: :?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 18 May 2016, 21:29

Ah...I'm sure it's fine, you'll ground at the machines too. It's a straight forward procedure linking up. I'm sure Bob will shed some light on its necessity tho.

Jim

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 18 May 2016, 21:32

I do wonder if that's an urban myth !

I've never heard of a dust extractor system actually blowing up ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 May 2016, 17:44

Definitely not a myth and a potential reality...fine dust, static spark...boOm...then if your unlucky, a secondary boom as the dust around the shop, lifted from the first bang, ignites.

For something so simple, is it worth the risk?

The 'custard powder experiment' it's a good example of how easy it is to ignite powder and fine dust.

As a side point on systems going bang...keep your tooling sharp and avoid burn out...little hot embers getting extracted up into the system....yowzers. router cutters in particular.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 19 May 2016, 17:52

Jimmy Mack wrote: ...a potential reality...

that's exactly my point !

Yes, I know about custard power too :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 19 May 2016, 17:54

So would the risk created by the wooden blast gates be mitigated by simply bridging the gap they create with something conductive? I saw something the other day on another site that suggested the hole approach of wrapping wire around plastic pipes is pointless as this does not address static inside the pipes.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 19 May 2016, 18:01

Terry ..

I have a log burner in my shop

I feed it with wood dust sometimes
It can flare back when it's really hot ..

obviously .. it's just my opinion, but I doubt a static sparc could ignite it.
It doesn't burn that well.

and I don't know of any wood dust explosions ever happening ???
custard/flour yes :lol: .. wood no :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 May 2016, 18:31

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis32.pdf

Page 2...

Use only conductive materials for ductwork so that any static electricity generated can be discharged to earth.

I'd say you don't hear about it much as folk follow the guidelines. I know the worlds gone a bit potty on 'elf n safety' ...but why risk it for pence and 20 mins...if you want a log burner (We have a log burner ;) )...or even a fag on ..then go for it, it's your shop :)

Some bell wire to bridge and some self tapping screws to terminate will do it.

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 19 May 2016, 19:00

haha .. I don't think it ever happend ..

just sayin :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 19 May 2016, 19:04

and no .. I have no respect at all for modern H&S ?!
it's just pen pushers looking to get paid as far as I am concerned

so on that note . I'll bow out :-)

and keep it freindly :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery