It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:24

Tools & Extraction for new workshop

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Tools & Extraction for new workshop

Postby Crispylettuce » 15 May 2016, 21:46

I'll be restarting the planning for a workshop in my garden, and thought I'd canvas for opinions/ideas.

My aim is to, hopefully, use the workshop for making things like garden/house furniture - after honing my skills. So total output from shop will no be massive (ie it's not my job!). I currently don't have a workspace, so only have typical power tools (compound mitre saw, jigsaw, drills, large router, 'hobby' router table, plus hand tools).

1)
I would be looking to buy a pillar drill, and I'm trying to weigh up between a table saw and a band saw initially. It seems like a contentious subject from what I gather. I can see benefits in both, and can see ways to compromises for the one you don't have.

Any suggestions for the type of simple work/joints I'll be doing?

2)
Planner/thickener. This seems like an economical choice as thus far I have always bought finished wood, and this would give the ability to finish to sizes I need on the fly. A workshop will enable me to hold some stock where as I don't at the moment.

Does this make sense?

3)
Extraction.
Where do I start?!? Seriously I have know idea. Anyone recommend any good posts/sites for spring/fitting something?

Apologies for such a long post - congratulations if you made it this far!!

Crispy

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Tools & Extraction for new workshop

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 May 2016, 13:30

Crispylettuce wrote:I'll be restarting the planning for a workshop in my garden, and thought I'd canvas for opinions/ideas.

My aim is to, hopefully, use the workshop for making things like garden/house furniture - after honing my skills. So total output from shop will no be massive (ie it's not my job!). I currently don't have a workspace, so only have typical power tools (compound mitre saw, jigsaw, drills, large router, 'hobby' router table, plus hand tools).

1)
I would be looking to buy a pillar drill, and I'm trying to weigh up between a table saw and a band saw initially. It seems like a contentious subject from what I gather. I can see benefits in both, and can see ways to compromises for the one you don't have.

Any suggestions for the type of simple work/joints I'll be doing?

2)
Planner/thickener. This seems like an economical choice as thus far I have always bought finished wood, and this would give the ability to finish to sizes I need on the fly. A workshop will enable me to hold some stock where as I don't at the moment.

Does this make sense?

3)
Extraction.
Where do I start?!? Seriously I have know idea. Anyone recommend any good posts/sites for spring/fitting something?

Apologies for such a long post - congratulations if you made it this far!!

Crispy

1) I use my table saw more than my bandsaw. But I think my table saw would be easier to replace by use of a decent track saw. I suspect there will be more detail on what you plan to do needed before a clearer answer can be oven.

2) Yup, PT makes sense to me for the reasons you give.

3) my personal learning is no sinle right answer. I have posted a few pieces on my recent installation in these three threads...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1821
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1481
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1788

In summary...
I would say you really want HVLP extraction for big machines. Go as large as you can on the blower and the ducting. My 3hp blower with 125mm works very well, particularly on the bandsaw where it removes every single spec of dust. Use a cyclone they are brilliant. If you do not need to worry about heat loss and / or upsetting neighbours with the noise site the unit in a separate area outside the main shop and / or vent outside. But you will still need HPLV (i.e. a vacuum) for smaller tools.

The good news is thinking about it at the planning stage will make life a whole lot easier than it was for me as I didn't realise the importance of it until after my workshop was built.

Hope that helps, shout if you have more questions on my DX installation.

Terry.
Last edited by Wizard9999 on 16 May 2016, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Andyp » 16 May 2016, 13:36

I am sure that with the amount of research you have done already that you have realised that there is no easy answer to this, just how other people have managed.

I am sure that had I started in the internet age that I would have pontificated for so long that I would never have got started.

Although I had been making things before I really got started when I wanted to make a dining room table which I made in the dining room using the old table as a bench. I hired an electric hand planer and used a a few planes of my father's and a few other hand tools. I spoke to a bloke at a craft fair who turned the legs for me from wood I sourced from a local sawmill.

I have a small TS (kity 419) which has processed quite a lot of rough sawn timber. If you have seen Pinch's work you will know that he buys his timber PAR. As a pro making high end stuff his labour costs are far greater than us hobbyists so I guess so it is easier to justify the added costs of PAR.

I only bought a small band saw recently and that is used more for processing logs for turning.

I have a small combi planer/thicknesser. There are many pros and cons to having a combi tool or separates and only you can make up you mind on where your priorities lay as regards, money, space and time.

A decent track saw could easily replace my TS and be more versatile when processing large sheets.

As for dust extraction, I managed with a numatic shop vac for many years and only in the past couple of years did I go for a fixed solution. A twin motor Camvac (outside the workshop) which dumps into a large barrelled dropbox via a Cyclone (self assembled Cyclone Central).

I am not sure what conclusions you can draw from my ramblings. perhaps you need to decide exactly what you want to build and what materials you want to use and then decide what tools you need to achieve it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Crispylettuce » 16 May 2016, 20:17

Appreciate your replies. I'll work through your threads.

Initially I'm thinking of a bandsaw, and just using my track saw as a take saw substitute. I can get a discount on DeWalt, so might look into their planar/thickener & have a look on Axminster.

I think I might try to plan for extraction, but start of with (or upgrade) my "shop vac". Not sure I have enough pennies to get it all in at once!

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 16 May 2016, 20:47

TS for me

couldn't do without it !

I have a couple of BS too .. but the TS is used every day
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 16 May 2016, 20:59

I appreciate that the TS must be good for ripping boards, and sizing them. To a certain extent the Track Saw can do this - but possibly more of a fiddle. Havnt found a good way of cutting thin strips with the Track Saw yet, which is one of the main reasons I was considering one!

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Doug » 16 May 2016, 21:13

I'd recommend buying https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... 468&sr=1-3 before buying any dust extraction equipment, it's a really helpful book
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 May 2016, 09:58

the TS is soooo much more versatile then just ripping and sizing !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 17 May 2016, 14:16

And here I show my ignorance about life in a workshop!!

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 May 2016, 14:36

this place is worth a look to see what else various machines are capable of ...

http://woodgears.ca
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 May 2016, 16:27

Bear in mind the provenance of any replies. Some people on the forum are full-time generating chippings and sawdust. Their requirements (and hence any decisions they make as to kit) will be different from someone who, perhaps, only uses their tools at the weekends.

I'd focus on some of the threads here, regarding extraction, that have been made by those whose usage is closest to yours.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 17 May 2016, 16:40

Completely agree Roger, and I appreciate everyone's help/suggestions. Something that might be inconvenient to me once a month will not be acceptable to someone who does much more work and comes across the same problem twice a week!

I also so similar things on brewing forums (another hobby of mine!), where sometimes people suggest you need kit with all the bells and whistles to make beer, when the truth is you can get started with very basic kit and still make something drinkable. Well, most of the time!!

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 May 2016, 17:48

Crispylettuce wrote:sometimes people suggest you need kit with all the bells and whistles to make beer, when the truth is you can get started with very basic kit and still make something drinkable. Well, most of the time!!

haha .. I have a basic (brew) kit to .. but drink it all anyway ! lol

you tried the pressure cooker yet .. for the not so good brews ?
I've resisted so far .. but it is tempting !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 May 2016, 17:54

RogerS wrote:Bear in mind the provenance of any replies. Some people on the forum are full-time generating chippings and sawdust. Their requirements (and hence any decisions they make as to kit) will be different from someone who, perhaps, only uses their tools at the weekends.

I'd focus on some of the threads here, regarding extraction, that have been made by those whose usage is closest to yours.

but also bear in mind where you are heading :-)

workshops and tools soon begin to spiral ! :mrgreen:

when I started.. I bought one of everything .. but the cheapest I could find.
It went against conventional wisdom .. but !

If it broke .. it meant I used it a lot .. so worth looking for a decent one.
If it didn't break .. then it's there for the occasional use .. and don't need to spend any more on it :-)

for "me", I still think this is a good rule.

As for extraction .. there is powerful cheap chip extractors everywhere ..
for fine dust, I built my own

I've put the wips up on various forums years ago .. I'll see if I can dig them out :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 May 2016, 17:56

Tusses wrote:....
I've put the wips up on various forums years ago .. I'll see if I can dig them out :-)

That would be great if you could.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 17 May 2016, 18:04

Tusses wrote:but also bear in mind where you are heading :-)

workshops and tools soon begin to spiral ! :mrgreen:

It's like any hobby, whether it's brewing or woodworking, you always acquire more and more stuff!

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 May 2016, 18:09

RogerS wrote:
Tusses wrote:....

That would be great if you could.

I'll sort it out and put it in a new thread.

BTW .. I am full time business pays the mortgage .. but at heart .. looking at the thrifty way of working !
hence I build most things myself ! lol
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery