It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:26

broken bandsaw blade

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

broken bandsaw blade

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2016, 18:07

This ain't supposed to happen. The break is defiantly not at the weld. As you can see I was cutting a piece of fresh beech almost to the limit of the saw but I was not forcing it. The wood was only felled last week and was part of the heating logs I had delivered on Saturday.

I'd been using the BS or about 40mins, straight cuts only, to round off some lumps of beech that came with the logs for the fire. The blade broke cutting the last one.

How common an occurrences this? Is it more likely operator error than manufacturing defect? I do not know the exact age of the blade but as I do know it's provenance I know that it would not have been abused before I bought it.

Here are some shots of other pieces before and and after I rounded them off.

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: broken bandsaw blade

Postby Rod » 07 Jun 2016, 18:53

I've never broken a blade - I get mine from Tuffsaws.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 07 Jun 2016, 19:02

I think you have too many teeth for cutting that depth of wood, the gullets are not big enough to cope with the amount of saw dust produced. Was the blade very hot to touch when it broke? That is often caused by the blade clogging.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby kirkpoore1 » 07 Jun 2016, 19:30

DaveL wrote:I think you have too many teeth for cutting that depth of wood, the gullets are not big enough to cope with the amount of saw dust produced. Was the blade very hot to touch when it broke? That is often caused by the blade clogging.

I agree--too fine a blade for that thick of a cut. In addition, after 40 minutes of cutting (not to mention an unknown amount of cutting before that) the blade was probably dull, and you may have been making up for that by pushing the wood harder. So it got overstressed and broke.

This happens sometimes, and is nothing to be concerned about. I'd say you got your money's worth out of it. So go buy another.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2016, 19:43

Dave, Kirk, Thanks for that. Makes sense as the wood is still wet there were ribbons of wood being produced rather than the normal dust. By the time I switched off, took the cover off and removed the blade it did not seem hot at all.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby DaveL » 07 Jun 2016, 19:49

Andyp wrote:Dave, Kirk, Thanks for that. Makes sense as the wood is still wet there were ribbons of wood being produced rather than the normal dust. By the time I switched off, took the cover off and removed the blade it did not seem hot at all.

If you check the Tuff saws website, Ian has blades that have an extra wide kerf for cutting wet wood, he recommends them for turners cutting blanks.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby chataigner » 07 Jun 2016, 20:46

Recomendation is 3 teeth in the work. If the blade is finer than that you need to go VERY slowly to allow the blade to clear itself. For bigger sections I use a 3/4" 3tpi skip tooth, but I've managed to break even one of those now and then. :o :o
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2016, 21:26

I'd like to think that I was going slowly but then the blade did break. I will get a more suitable one for wet logs and another one the same as rhe one that broke for finer stuff.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 10 Jun 2016, 07:49

Just had it pointed out to me that the INCA bandsaw is back to front. Compared with the usual suspects, Record, Axminster, Jet, Startrite etc, the blade points the other way.

No problem of course as I guess it is relatively easy to turn a blade inside out if necessary.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to Machines & Power Toolery