It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:37

Camvac remote switch problem - SORTED AGAIN

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Camvac remote switch problem - SORTED AGAIN

Postby Andyp » 13 Sep 2016, 08:05

Doug wrote:The power take off on my extractor has started playing up recently so I've been looking at alternative ways of switching the vac on automatically as I start a power tool, a search has come up with these http://www.toolovation.co.uk/iVAC_vacuu ... _s/153.htm don't know if it would help in your situation Andy but I thought I'd post it up just in case it was of help to you or anyone else.

Thanks Doug, if I were only using the Camvac on one machine that might be an (expensive) option. None of my machines are static. P/T, tablesaw, bandsaw, lathe, and bench drill all get wheeled out and plugged in to a multitude of sockets around the shop.

I will see how the new RC socket (£16) holds up. If it fails then I really think the shower cord switch off the celling is the way to go.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 13 Sep 2016, 08:07

RogerS wrote:Still got this available for sale

Roger, I think that this would give me the same problem as Doug's iVac switch.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 13 Sep 2016, 08:21

Andyp wrote:After what seemed an initial success the RC socket is again failing. This time even when plugged in 25m away in the garage. So I have admitted defeat and bought another RC socket. I will still use the relay setup to protect the RC socket.

Is it failing as in 'not responding to the control' ? Could you try a different channel on both it and the remote control? That's what I did with my one from Maplin. The On button in channel 1 on my remote controller that I used for the large extractor remote failed and so I simply changed the remote switch and channel on the remote controller to Channel 2. Job done.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Sep 2016, 09:38

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:After what seemed an initial success the RC socket is again failing. This time even when plugged in 25m away in the garage. So I have admitted defeat and bought another RC socket. I will still use the relay setup to protect the RC socket.

Is it failing as in 'not responding to the control' ? Could you try a different channel on both it and the remote control? That's what I did with my one from Maplin. The On button in channel 1 on my remote controller that I used for the large extractor remote failed and so I simply changed the remote switch and channel on the remote controller to Channel 2. Job done.

No Roger, by failing I mean the remote control switches it on but after a few seconds the RC socket switches off all by itself. I have tried all 4 channels and all 4 buttons, I replaced the battery in the control as well all to no avail.
I was using the Camvac and new RC socket on and off for a couple of hours yesterday, no problem.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 13 Sep 2016, 09:42

Fair enough Andy, though I'd point out I've presently set out a run of sockets around the workshop that are plugged into the extractor's power take off, obviously I can only use one of these sockets at a time otherwise I'd overload the vacuum but it means I don't have to bother with switching on the extractor, I simply plug in the tool I wish to use, connect the dust hose & everytime I switch the tool on the extractor fires up.

I ended up with this system as I was fed up with initially going to a fixed switch to turn on the extractor, I then moved on to remote sockets but after going through 3 different brands non of which lasted long I came up with the system I have now.

The only down side is I bought a second hand extractor with power take off due to the general cost of this type of machine which is why I've been looking at auto switches as this extractor plays up occasionally. Whilst the unit I linked to isn't cheap I could buy 3 of these for the price of 1 Axminster home brand switch so I don't think it is overly expensive & it means I can utilise my Camvac in the same system.

Edit:- I'd also add I now don't have to play hunt the remote, a frequently occurring game when I did use remote sockets :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Sep 2016, 10:22

Doug wrote:Fair enough Andy, though I'd point out I've presently set out a run of sockets around the workshop that are plugged into the extractor's power take off, obviously I can only use one of these sockets at a time otherwise I'd overload the vacuum but it means I don't have to bother with switching on the extractor, I simply plug in the tool I wish to use, connect the dust hose & everytime I switch the tool on the extractor fires up.

I ended up with this system as I was fed up with initially going to a fixed switch to turn on the extractor, I then moved on to remote sockets but after going through 3 different brands non of which lasted long I came up with the system I have now.

The only down side is I bought a second hand extractor with power take off due to the general cost of this type of machine which is why I've been looking at auto switches as this extractor plays up occasionally. Whilst the unit I linked to isn't cheap I could buy 3 of these for the price of 1 Axminster home brand switch so I don't think it is overly expensive & it means I can utilise my Camvac in the same system.

Edit:- I'd also add I now don't have to play hunt the remote, a frequently occurring game when I did use remote sockets :lol:

Interesting Doug. Food for thought for next time.

BT I've never lost my remote :eusa-whistle: :eusa-liar:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 13 Sep 2016, 15:32

After this much trouble, I'd go for the shower type chord pull too .. like the emergency pull, on the old trains :D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery