It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:45

Ch Ch Ch Changes ...

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Ch Ch Ch Changes ...

Postby Tusses » 12 Jun 2016, 16:51

Saw blades, Router Bits, Sand paper etc.etc.

does anyone else avoid this ?

For some reason, I have a thing about changing tooling ?? I have no idea why

I'd rather have
2 sanders, one with fine, one with coarse paper
2 drill drivers .. one for drilling one for screwing
2 paint guns .. one primer, one top coat

I have a combi blade in the TS

a GP blade in the band saw

even the cnc .. I do as much as possible with one tool before I have to change for another job

I know it's totally irrational, as it only takes a few seconds to swap over !

anyone else ? or is there just no hope for me ? ! :lol:

Rich
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Ch Ch Ch Changes ...

Postby RogerS » 12 Jun 2016, 19:24

Not sure I agree with you there. Changing the blade in my table saw is a doddle and takes minutes. Changing the blade in the bandsaw takes forever and a day! S'why I just sold my Record BS350!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Jun 2016, 19:43

Just have the one sander, velco discs, doddle to change.
Agree about drill drivers. I have used 3 in the past, one to drill, one to countersink & one to screw.
Don't have a paint gun but do normally use a woefully undersized brush when painting. More control, less runs and easier to cut in when required.

No problems in changing blade it TS. Often need a flat top ground for inlays at the moment and happy to change to ripping or crosscut blades as required.

I have just ordered 2 blades for the BS to replace one that broke. One for large wet logs the other for more normal general work. I'll let you know in a month or so how often they get changed.

Someone around here always used to say "he with the most tools wins" :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 12 Jun 2016, 19:50

Changing bandsaw blades is my one bugbear. It's a 20 minute job if you set the new one up properly. I don't suppose many of us have 2 bandsaws, to get over that issue. I just tend to plan my work ahead so that I am doing batches of cutting that use the one blade. I've only the one cordless drill, but often use it in conjunction with a 240V drill, one for drilling, one for screwing. I'll maybe buy a cheapie one day to cover countersinking.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 12 Jun 2016, 19:51

Andyp wrote:.....Someone around here always used to say "he with the most tools wins" :D

:lol: And someone else around here said the opposite: "you've got enough tools already".
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 15 Jun 2016, 08:28

Tusses wrote:Saw blades, Router Bits, Sand paper etc.etc.

I'd rather have
2 sanders, one with fine, one with coarse paper
2 drill drivers .. one for drilling one for screwing
2 paint guns .. one primer, one top coat

I have a combi blade in the TS

a GP blade in the band saw

even the cnc .. I do as much as possible with one tool before I have to change for another job

I know it's totally irrational,

Rich

Sounds like what a lot of people would do if they could afford to have more than one item in their toolkit. I've worked for years with two drill drivers one for drilling and one for screwing it saves time.

What I have seen on site that I sometimes think is a bit irrational is when young chippy puts his tools down walks down a flight of stairs and out to his van, trundles back with a chop saw, transformer lead etc then uses it to cut the skirting and architrave for one room then puts it all back again!

I often think I could have done that quicker with just a block plane and hand saw. When a young Chippy see my rebate plane the often say " that looks like it's come out of the ark, I use an electric planer" to which I reply what you going to do if there is no electric.......silence.

I used to go to work with just a bass of hand tools but now I need a van for the gismos.

For a lot of us Bling is the thing to have.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Doug » 15 Jun 2016, 09:05

I've 3 drill drivers & a couple of impact drivers on the van, surprising the time saved when doing a day of repetative tasks just by having the right bit in each drill.

I bought a bench top Elu bandsaw a few years ago it's a great second machine, very light so easy to transport to site or into the workshop & means my main bandsaw can be left with an 1" blade for re-sawing, changing bandsaw blades is a pet hate.

I tend to use a selection of grits when sanding so opted for a machine that took Velcro discs.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 15 Jun 2016, 14:32

lol .. my sander is velcro .. but I tend to have a "medium" grit on there most of the time.

BS .. yes, I have a big blade in the big one, and a small blade in the small one.

I hardly ever use the big one .. it's just another storage surface most of the time.

and doug .. that pillar drill is still on the floor .. but used regularly .. I got used to it that way, and it seems awfull heavy to lift up by just me ! lol :lol:

I guess I am just lazy :mrgreen:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 19 Jun 2016, 09:10

Bosch cordless drill/driver
Makita drill
Bosch impact drill only for walls and concrete (uses the odd shaped drill bits into a keyless chuck)
B&D drill mounted on a block with the small round sanding discs (second drill)
45 year old Wolf drill - my first drill, so its sentimental
Small drill press

RAS for crosscutting and table saw for ripping (no blade changes)

Makita half sheet sander
Makita third sheet sander
Skil small sander for corners etc

Makita router small and large Ryobi router

Just never been able to justify a band saw .......... :(
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby kirkpoore1 » 20 Jun 2016, 17:57

I have two hand drills and do indeed have one set for drilling and the other for driving screws. Same brand, so same type of battery, so I always have a charged pack.

I have two hand-held 3x24 belt sanders and used to use one with 120 grit and the other with 220 so I didn't have to handle the wood pieces as much. The cheaper sander's dust bag has worn out, though, and I can't find a connector to my shop vac, so I've pretty much stopped using it.

I have two band saws, but both usually have the same type of blade (1/4", 3 tpi). I'm really surprised that it takes some of you so long to change the blades. I can do either of my saws (14" and 30") in about 5 minutes, and the smaller one would be much faster if I didn't have to take off the fence rail to allow me to get to the blade slot.

Beyond that, I'm with Phil--TS for ripping, RAS for crosscutting. I have three hand-held routers but the overarm gets 90% of the work so there is no saving on bit changes.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Doug » 23 Jun 2016, 09:41

Tusses wrote:
and doug .. that pillar drill is still on the floor .. but used regularly .. I got used to it that way, and it seems awfull heavy to lift up by just me ! lol :lol:

I guess I am just lazy :mrgreen:

Not surprised Rich it was bloody heavy :?

kirkpoore1 wrote:I have two hand drills and do indeed have one set for drilling and the other for driving screws. Same brand, so same type of battery, so I always have a charged pack.

I've stuck with Makita 18V Li-ion for the same reason, I've half a dozen batteries & over a dozen of their tools, when you think of the advances in battery tools in the last 20 years it's quite staggering, the only corded tools on my van these days are my core drill & paddle mixer. What a difference from I worked for my old Dad, the height of luxury being a corded hammer drill & jigsaw :shock:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery