It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:40

Axminster HD16 FC Pillar drill

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Axminster HD16 FC Pillar drill

Postby woodstalker » 30 Jul 2016, 21:06

I just took delivery of an Axminster HD16FC Pillar drill:

Sadly its got some damage to the rise and fall rack on the table, has anyone got an idea on a good way to fix this?

The retaining collar and screw are still present. It looks like its been caught in the lower section when being shifted and its cause the rack to kink. Without a manual i can't see how to remove the table in order to remove the rack and try and straighten it out. The rack only appears to be held by the single screw in the retaining collar and where it tucks into the base of the stand. Should it be fixed to the column somewhere as well?

Also got two broken knobs on the operating triple levers if anyone knows where to get decent spare ones?

Many thanks for looking! :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Axminster HD16 FC Pillar drill

Postby Mike G » 30 Jul 2016, 21:15

I assume this isn't new from Axminster? Because if it was, the answer would be easy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Jul 2016, 21:24

This may not be the right model, but construction and assembly might be similar ---

http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downloads/700101_manual.pdf
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 30 Jul 2016, 22:45

I have a similar but shorter rack on my Axminster drill. The rack is not fixed at all as it rotates with the table. The angled ends are just held near the column by the matching internal bevel on the top and bottom collars.

If you can get the end back in the top collar you may not even need to straighten it. Hmm actually looking at that first picture again it looks in a bad way. you may need a new one if you can't straighten it.

Lay the drill down. there will be some grub screws to release the column from the top casting if it is like mine... then slide everything up and off.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2016, 08:31

+1 for Roberts method. Take off the table and the relatively light gearbox and rack will slide off as a pair. If you are not confident about straightening the rack then bring it over to my place and we can have a joint effort on it.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby DaveL » 31 Jul 2016, 09:26

Not related to the rack, but I would suggest changing that low energy lamp for an LED one. They are more robust, it will withstand being hit with the work, the current one would smash. LED lamps also come on at full brightness instead of taking a few minutes to warm up.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 31 Jul 2016, 09:37

My old Meddings is of a similar size but it hasn't got the racked table support, which would be nice to have.
The table is extremely heavy and an extra pair of hands would be useful!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Jul 2016, 10:04

I reckon you could just persuade that back into place with a few clamps then slide it back under the collar. Doesn't look kinked from the photo just a bit bent.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2016, 10:12

TrimTheKing wrote:I reckon you could just persuade that back into place with a few clamps then slide it back under the collar. Doesn't look kinked from the photo just a bit bent.

Cheers
Mark

Maybe but it would still bow when the clamps came off leading to tight spots in use.
To straighten something it needs to be bent slightly past "straight" and then allowed to relax into unstressed straight position.
Using the column as a reference, some temporary shims and your clamp idea might work with some sort of soft jaw to protect the tooth profile.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Jul 2016, 10:28

Just a thought, if you can get the post and rack separate from the rest of the machine, how about a series of jubilee clips round the post and rack with shims under the bend in the rack to clamp and straighten the rack to the post.

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby woodstalker » 31 Jul 2016, 20:49

Thanks for all the replies, the kink was originally at the lower part of the rack and i wound the table down over it, although the winding mechanism is not working too great either. After i had it all the way down i removed the retaining screw on the top collar and pushed it up and clear and then the rack bent outwards as in the pics. I think their is a lot of stress in it so i will have a crack at the method of taking the drill off the pillar and sliding everything off and seeing how it looks then. My main concern when straightening it is that it will stress snap or end up all wavy and useless.

I'll report back once done and come back to you all with some new pics for a further opinion. :eusa-pray:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 31 Jul 2016, 20:50

Mike G wrote:I assume this isn't new from Axminster? Because if it was, the answer would be easy.

Hi Mike, no its very much second hand and i was aware of the ding when i bought it, i thought i could just bend it back into place but it looks like the process will be a bit more involved than anticipated!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 31 Jul 2016, 20:51

DaveL wrote:Not related to the rack, but I would suggest changing that low energy lamp for an LED one. They are more robust, it will withstand being hit with the work, the current one would smash. LED lamps also come on at full brightness instead of taking a few minutes to warm up.

Cheers Dave; i agree the energy saving one is what it came with, certainly will want a brighter more focused light than that can provide!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2016, 21:00

Just take it gently when straightening.

A gear rack is like a chocolate bar - almost designed to snap at each tooth root.

On your side will be that it is almost certainly made of Chinese cheese and not properly hardened if at all.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby woodstalker » 31 Jul 2016, 21:04

9fingers wrote:Just take it gently when straightening.

A gear rack is like a chocolate bar - almost designed to snap at each tooth root.

On your side will be that it is almost certainly made of Chinese cheese and not properly hardened if at all.

Bob

Cheers Bob, i shall be as gentle as i can be with my ham fists! Thanks for the advice.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery