It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:48

Bearing removal- Advice required- Bob?

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Bearing removal- Advice required- Bob?

Postby Reclaimer » 19 Aug 2016, 19:45

Hello folks!

My beloved DW615 has eaten its top bearing (making some interesting noises in the process!)

Upon attempting to remove the bearing from the armature shaft, the balls and outer race have parted from the inner race, leaving me with the inner race stuck on the shaft, thus:
Get down, Samson!

O Wise People....how can I safely remove the remaining race? The feet on my puller will not fit under the race unless I file them absolutely wafer-thin. I daren't heat the race because the collar immediately under it, and the black stepped washer under that are both made of plastic, and for that same reason I'm hesitating to try and grind through the race and split it with a chisel.

What are my options? Please don't say "buy a new armature", they're £150!

Thanks in advance
Tim
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Re: Bearing removal- Advice required- Bob?

Postby 9fingers » 19 Aug 2016, 20:29

Grinding is the answer but no brutal chisel action.
Instead grind a flat on the inner race until the grind stone just kisses the shaft. turn 180 degrees and repeat where upon the inner race will split in two and you will only have the minutest pair of flats on the shaft which is of no consequence. DONT let the shaft get hot when grinding, cool regularly in water.
Hold the armature or the grinder in a vice etc NEVER both hold parts free hand
Keep reminding yourself that this is a 150 quid armature and take it steady with a degree of care related to the price.

Good luck
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Reclaimer » 19 Aug 2016, 21:01

Bob!

You are a super fellow and your reputation as a legend (in this house, at least) is further enhanced.

I thank you most fervently for this sage advice- and the excuse to buy a 4" angle grinder!

Thanks most hugely
Tim
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 19 Aug 2016, 22:24

As an alternative, getting a hold on it with some vise grips and then trying to twist the armature might get the inner race moving. It might require holding the armature in a padded vise.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby 9fingers » 19 Aug 2016, 22:46

Reclaimer wrote:Bob!

You are a super fellow and your reputation as a legend (in this house, at least) is further enhanced.

I thank you most fervently for this sage advice- and the excuse to buy a 4" angle grinder!

Thanks most hugely
Tim

Stop it Tim!
Already his week I have been referred to as "a treasure" and as having the "patience of a saint" by two other correspondents and my wife is pi88ing herself with laughter.
I need to get back to basic nerd status as soon as......
:lol:
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby oddsocks » 20 Aug 2016, 08:16

If you do end up grinding it try an put a thin piece of metal (drill a hole the size of the bearing and pull it under to protect the side you are grinding).That would protect the plastic should you accidentally slip with the grinder - it would give a few seconds of protection (I did something similar on an old elu96 years ago without doing he above and damaged the armature - that was about £70 to replace).

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Return to Machines & Power Toolery