It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:05

Moving a big Bandsaw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Moving a big Bandsaw

Postby MJ80 » 14 Sep 2016, 21:34

I'm looking at a bandsaw about 100 miles away, its a big old cast Centauro machine that is 2.3 meters tall. The common consensus is to remove the table and transport it on its spine. I can see how that works, but the spine is quite curved so I'm thinking of some sort of frame to support it. The other problem could be the weight in the van :shock: pushing it over its limit. I'll have to look into alternatives if that is the case. But also at the other end getting it out. A trailer might be a better idea for unloading or is trying to organise a mover the easiest for this type of adventure?
Anyone else had similar experiences?
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Re: Moving a big Bandsaw

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Sep 2016, 22:34

Yes. I've moved or helped move several big bandsaws, including my own 30" saw. How heavy do you think it is?

You'll want at least one helper. More is better.

I would use a trailer. It will have a lower deck, so it will be easier to get it on and off than into a van. By all means, remove the table and, if possible, the motor (assuming it's not a direct drive machine).

I strongly suggest moving it upright. Tilting one of these is fraught with peril and will require equipment at both ends.

You can use a long pry bar (at least 5', longer is better) to lever it along the ground until you get to your trailer's location. Be careful, take your time, and if you're not on concrete watch out for soft spots.

Next, bolt some timbers to the feet, cross-ways. You want to keep it from falling over, and bandsaws are relatively narrow and thus tippy. I'd use some 4x4's and go at least 3 feet wide. I would cut a few openings on the undersides of the 4x4's to let you get the pry bar under them.

If you don't have a tractor or something to load the saw, this is what I'd do:

Get some 2x6's to make a ramp. I think you'll want at least four. Lever the near foot of the BS up and put the ramp boards under the 4x4.

Then you'll need a chain or two and a come-along winch:

Loop the chain around the bandsaw a couple of feet off the ground, then attach the come-along to the chain and the trailer. Start winching it onto the trailer. You and your help must constantly watch for tilting or other issues, and fix them. You will of course need to lever it up to get the back timber foot onto the ramp. Slowly move it onto the trailer until it's over the wheels.

At that point, I'd bolt the wood feet to the trailer deck (if it's wood) and strap the whole thing down. Use real ratcheting straps like this:
not little wussy ones. You can probably rent some when you rent the trailer.

Secure the saw in 4 directions so that it won't tilt sideways or front or back. Drive carefully and smoothly, no sudden stops.

Reverse the procedure to get it off the trailer. Use the pry bar to move it down the ramp. Keep the come-along attached to the trailer and pay out the cable as you go so that the saw doesn't start sliding on it's own.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Tusses » 15 Sep 2016, 10:57

I guess I am lucky, as I have one of these

it packs down small enough to take with you if you need it both ends.
a good tip would be to lift the BS, then bring the trailer/van, to it/under it
make sure of the centre of gravity, so it doesn't tip !

If you don't have one, maybe you could borrow/hire one locally ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 15 Sep 2016, 14:52

I've moved a Wadkin BZB a couple of times it was definitely easier getting it on & off a trailer than in & out of a van.
With the trailer we just used a block & tackle, some planks & rollers which was fairly easy to move the saw on its back, after which we used wedges & a few ratchet straps to keep it in position.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 15 Sep 2016, 15:58

Thanks for the ideas, I like the block and tackle idea, because I have a 2 tonne one here. I'll see what they chap at the other end has got by way of loading, I do feel nervous about transporting stood up, especially on someone else's trailer as there is an autobahn to negotiate. I think getting it stowed in the van might be a better idea.
Managed to get a 4 head tennoner across the country in the van and unload it with a pile of pallets, sheet of osb and the pallet truck. Plus a lot of clenching. Pulled it out the van onto the pile with the sheet on top, then lowered it down to floor with the chain hoist. I did learn from my earlier mistake with the table saw when I unloaded it the same way but did it outside the barn and then had to manhandle it into the barn :oops:
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Sep 2016, 16:29

MJ80 wrote:.... Plus a lot of clenching. ....

Buttocks ? :lol:

Welcome to the forum, BTW, I remember your photos of your 'build'. Fascinating project.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Sep 2016, 16:58

How about photos of the BS transfer, please!!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to Machines & Power Toolery