It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:10

Modification to a benchtop thicknesser

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Modification to a benchtop thicknesser

Postby 9fingers » 02 Aug 2014, 18:29

This is one out of the archives

I bought a chaiwanese 12 inch thicknesser from a forum member about 6 months ago. A fine solid bit of kit that performed well from the outset but was ill mannered enough to throw all the shavings on the floor or bench.
I needed a way to collect the shavings and feed them to my DC that has 100mm hose.
I had some 100mm drain pipe in the workshop. This is standard soil pipe as used in France. Ours is 110mm. I buy it in the DIY sheds in France when on holiday. It does not take up much space as you can fill the centre up with wine bottles!!

The unmodified machine looks like this.
The blade guard showed little resistance to the bandsaw
I then put the shortened guard back into the machine
The drain pipe gets a rectangular slot cut in it the full width of the thicknesser outlet and bolted to a simple aluminium bracket. One end of the pipe has an mdf plug cut to a force fit.
and
The bracket has mounting holes drilled in it and these are used as a jig to drill and tap holes in the cutter block casting. there are 5 in totla but the picture just shows 2.
Finally a couple of views of the extraction adaptor fitted.
The device is not an air/dust tight fit but it does not matter. In use every shaving is sucked up and the bench stays perfectly clear. I should have done this months ago.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Modification to a benchtop thicknesser

Postby Andyp » 02 Aug 2014, 19:03

Simple and clever.

I hope to hooking up my soon to be collected Camvac to some of that drain pipe soon
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby tracerman » 15 Sep 2014, 09:48

Bob - how incredibly simple , I wish I'd thought of that YEARS ago , as previously discussed on WH1 , my rainwater hopper , mounted over my thicknesser and/or underneath to catch shavings , is OK except for the incredible magnification of the sound when the extractor is running , I was going to re-build the hopper in mdf as it was suggested that the problem was reverberance in the hopper . Your idea looks worth trying . Does it really collect everything ? 90% would be acceptable .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby 9fingers » 15 Sep 2014, 11:16

tracerman wrote:Bob - how incredibly simple , I wish I'd thought of that YEARS ago , as previously discussed on WH1 , my rainwater hopper , mounted over my thicknesser and/or underneath to catch shavings , is OK except for the incredible magnification of the sound when the extractor is running , I was going to re-build the hopper in mdf as it was suggested that the problem was reverberance in the hopper . Your idea looks worth trying . Does it really collect everything ? 90% would be acceptable .
Steve

I now have a DW733 and needed a slight mod to the attachment method and a strip of tin can straightened out flat to act as a deflector and yes it catches the vast majority of shavings - a couple of cupfuls to clear up at the end of a thickening session.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Machines & Power Toolery