It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:52

THE FOG!...Cartridge filter blew off!

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

THE FOG!...Cartridge filter blew off!

Postby Jimmy Mack » 21 Feb 2017, 20:22

A couple of weeks back I replaced the twin bag filters on my extractor with cartridge types.

They have little flippers inside which, when manually turned knock, the dust out as they rotate, I'm sure you're familiar. I've been reasonably good so far twiddling them every day or so.

Today I had the 6" hose off the planer and I was gulping some table router dust up that had not been caught buy the HPLV vac. Afterwards I decided to empty the HVLP vac bucket gulping it out of 'George' the HPLV vac...however behind me the cartridges were clogging and the air trying to exhaust through the filters was....well, not.. subsequently lifting off one of the cartridges filling the room with dust!!!...and I mean filling...It was like the movie, the fog!!! :shock:

The filters clamp onto the top rim and their band cramps don't quite get the same amount of grip as with the bags due to the rolled lip being right behind the band and the rubber of the cartridges being stiffer than the bags. So I've grinded off about 10mm off the top of the rims so they sit a bit lower giving a slightly better hold.

I was pleased with the cartridge filters, the workshop did seem cleaner ...but obviously today has me little concerned ...I've adjusted the paddles outwards so they flick the filters more aggressively, but I have a feeling I might have to remove the cartridges quite frequently and give them a good vac out to avoid clogging and THE FOG!... more so than I ever did with the cloth bag filters

Any others on the forum with cartridge filters, perhaps with some nubie tips on the maintenance?

Cheers,
Jim

Some pictures...

Showing 10mm ground / cut off circumference

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: THE FOG!...Cartridge filter blew off!

Postby Mike G » 22 Feb 2017, 12:35

I'm not seeing your images, Jim.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby stephen.wood125 » 22 Feb 2017, 14:52

a good cautionary tale!

I've used the unending 25mm ratchet straps to further "cinch" my filter down (it's an Axminster Trade filter on the SIP 3HP extractor so I wanted to ensure the best possible grip.

Thanks for posting- I like your idea about moving the flippers out to be a little more aggressive.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby Newbie_Neil » 22 Feb 2017, 15:46

Mike G wrote:I'm not seeing your images, Jim.

They're lost in the fog Mike.

Ok, I'll get my coat.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Doug » 23 Feb 2017, 08:53

Fortunately my filter has a metal base rim with with bolts that pass through it & sit under a lip on the mating surface of the extractor so I've not experienced a fog.
Stephen's ratchet strap solution sounds quick & easy as judging by your photo Jim the base of your filter is just a rubber skirt so not ideal for passing a fixing through.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 23 Feb 2017, 11:34

Thanks chaps...

Mike, oh...not sure why you can't see the pictures?

Doug you're right I think the root of the problem is the rubber skirt /rim...I also think the band is friction stuck against the rubber as it clamps, so is only pinched at the clamping point. Might try some lubricant to help the band slip around the rim as I clamp (sorry this all sounds a bit....off topic :oops: )

I might need to come up with a better plan.

I'm sure KIRKPOORE mentioned something about filter cartridges and cleaning....but I can't find anything on the search

Thanks again,

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 23 Feb 2017, 15:12

Looking at that last picture, is there a rubber tab fold back down on to the seal? I wonder if that reduces the overall grip of the clamp band?
I have two filters on my home made cyclone system but they don't have paddles for cleaning, they are held down by long lengths of studding so they won't be going anywhere. I have cleaned them by blowing compressed air over the out side, seems to work OK.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Jimmy Mack » 24 Feb 2017, 20:51

DaveL wrote:Looking at that last picture, is there a rubber tab fold back down on to the seal? I wonder if that reduces the overall grip of the clamp band?
I have two filters on my home made cyclone system but they don't have paddles for cleaning, they are held down by long lengths of studding so they won't be going anywhere. I have cleaned them by blowing compressed air over the out side, seems to work OK.

Hi Dave,

That's a closed cell foam seal. If I've got you right?

When you say held down by long lengths of studding...as in timber studding?

Hopefully making the paddles a bit more aggressive along with the rim trim with grinder will alleviate the issue some what...though blowing a compressor over is an idea.

Cheers

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Mar 2017, 13:35

Dang... one of the filters lifted off on me...again!

So this time it's 'belt & braces' with a ratchet clamp!

See how you like that one Sucker!

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Mar 2017, 15:11

:lol: :eusa-clap: :text-bravo:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby kirkpoore1 » 04 Mar 2017, 06:01

Jimmy Mack wrote:
I'm sure KIRKPOORE mentioned something about filter cartridges and cleaning....but I can't find anything on the search

Thanks again,

Jim

The directions to clean the filter on my Oneida said to blow on the outside with compressed air. This would dislodge the dust, dropping it into the plastic pan below.

My problem is that (a) I don't have a compressor and (b) the bottom of my filter is about 11 feet off the ground. What I do is climb up on a ladder, remove the pan, and vacuum out each pleat on the inside using my shop vac. I have to clean the shop vac filter a couple of times when doing this. I use a small nozzle on the end of a pair of pipes to reach all the way up into the filter (it's about 4' tall).

Not a fun job, but I only have to do it a couple of times per year. The whole process takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, including getting the ladder set up. It's a tight spot, and when I'm up on the ladder I've often bracing myself with one foot on the casting of my bandsaw.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby RogerS » 04 Mar 2017, 08:30

I use a fixed cartridge from RB Industrial that is siliconed onto the top of the gubbins.

Each time I empty the bag I give the outside a good thwack to dislodge the dust. If I'm feeling righteous then I'll get the SDS drill on hammer setting and using a block of wood vibrate the blazes out of the cartridge.

After a while (could be months..depended on how much use...I didn't have that much dust going through as it only extracted the spindle moulder and P/T ) I'd replace it. I was surprised at the amount of fine dust 'blinding' the cartridge ..about 4lb...which, of course, meant that the extractor set-up wasn't that efficient by then.

If you really want to get smart then get a cheap manometer from eBay. Measure the pressure difference across the cartridge. When it's new, it should be virtually zero but then as it gets clogged up, the pressure drop increases. There must be a value which says 'Buy me a new one' but no idea.

What's that funny blue stuff top of picture? Those dark things? Are they shadows? Does the sun really exist?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 04 Mar 2017, 10:23

kirkpoore1 wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:

Thanks again,

Jim

The directions to clean the filter on my Oneida said to blow on the outside with compressed air. This would dislodge the dust, dropping it into the plastic pan below.

My problem is that (a) I don't have a compressor and (b) the bottom of my filter is about 11 feet off the ground. What I do is climb up on a ladder, remove the pan, and vacuum out each pleat on the inside using my shop vac. I have to clean the shop vac filter a couple of times when doing this. I use a small nozzle on the end of a pair of pipes to reach all the way up into the filter (it's about 4' tall).

Not a fun job, but I only have to do it a couple of times per year. The whole process takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, including getting the ladder set up. It's a tight spot, and when I'm up on the ladder I've often bracing myself with one foot on the casting of my bandsaw.

Kirk

I've found hoovering out to be the best solution over the years, I do mine every couple of months & am grateful I have a dust deputy attached to my shop vac otherwise as Kirk says it blocks the vac's filters in no time.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 06 Mar 2017, 12:02

RogerS wrote:I use a fixed cartridge from RB Industrial that is siliconed onto the top of the gubbins.

Each time I empty the bag I give the outside a good thwack to dislodge the dust. If I'm feeling righteous then I'll get the SDS drill on hammer setting and using a block of wood vibrate the blazes out of the cartridge.

After a while (could be months..depended on how much use...I didn't have that much dust going through as it only extracted the spindle moulder and P/T ) I'd replace it. I was surprised at the amount of fine dust 'blinding' the cartridge ..about 4lb...which, of course, meant that the extractor set-up wasn't that efficient by then.

If you really want to get smart then get a cheap manometer from eBay. Measure the pressure difference across the cartridge. When it's new, it should be virtually zero but then as it gets clogged up, the pressure drop increases. There must be a value which says 'Buy me a new one' but no idea.

What's that funny blue stuff top of picture? Those dark things? Are they shadows? Does the sun really exist?

Wow I hadn't considered making a unit! Replaceable cartridges is a nice idea, I was concerned about bashing mine too much and damaging the filter...but with replaceable I guess it's not so important. The SDS is a top tip...I've tried this type of method for dislodging household radiator gunk. I believe you can get a rubber mallet whacker attachment for SDS drills for this purpose 8-)

Many thanks, Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 06 Mar 2017, 12:05

Thanks Kirk & Doug, Sounds like a vac (via cyclone) clean out every couple of weeks is a good practice. If I had an airline I'd try the blast from the outside method too.

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Mar 2017, 15:19

Jimmy Mack wrote:Thanks Kirk & Doug, Sounds like a vac (via cyclone) clean out every couple of weeks is a good practice. If I had an airline I'd try the blast from the outside method too.

Jim

I bought a cheapie Clarke Bandit compressor years ago. Nothing big but so handy.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 06 Mar 2017, 23:27

Jimmy Mack wrote:Thanks Kirk & Doug, Sounds like a vac (via cyclone) clean out every couple of weeks is a good practice. If I had an airline I'd try the blast from the outside method too.

Jim

I don't know how much you use it, but I'd say every two weeks is overkill. Inspect, and if it looks like it's getting really caked up, clean.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to Machines & Power Toolery