It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:00

Countersink Review

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Countersink Review

Postby 9fingers » 22 Feb 2017, 13:00

I ordered these from Banggood using the link Dave L provided.

http://www.banggood.com/4pcs-Countersin ... 29096.html

They took about a week to arrive. 1st impression was that they could have been better packed as all 4 were in a bag together with no protection to stop them knocking into each other. The cutting edges were a little rough as the holes forming them were roughly formed leading to a mildly serrated catting edge. These could be easily dressed with a diamond file but I have tested these as delivered.

I don't have much soft pine around in the workshop but found a bit of 2x1 PAR lurking in the garage with pretty wide spaced growth rings.

I drilled holes to match the shank sizes of 12, 10, 8 and 6mm

and then cut a full depth countersink with each bit at 250 rpm. I always believe in slow countersinking to minimise chatter although this design of cutter is highly unlikely to chatter anyway. This is achieved by most of the cutter body rubbing on the wood so slow speed will avoid burning. So medium pressure only to keep the heat down.

The smallest cutter did pull off centre a bit

the others were much better at centring

These photos were taken with no cleaning up at all and the lack of tear out at maximum diameter ie the part that will be seen is very respectable indeed.
The surface inside the countersink where the bit was cutting across the fibres could have been better but I put this down to not being perfectly sharp but bear in mind this will not be seen.
All in all pretty useful items to have in the workshop and good value for money. Score 9/10

Here they are again in their newly made stand.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Countersink Review

Postby Stargazer » 22 Feb 2017, 16:00

Thanks for the update and review Bob. I will be looking to get some as my only countersink bits are two very worn/wrecked star type that make such a mess of the wood that I usually end up resorting to a 13mm drill to effectively counterbore the hole so the screw head is below the surface.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Woodster » 22 Feb 2017, 20:31

I've got a couple of these, a 10mm and 25mm and they both work well.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 23 Feb 2017, 06:02

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback Bob!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Phil » 23 Feb 2017, 09:43

Stargazer wrote:Thanks for the update and review Bob.

:text-+1: :text-goodpost:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby MikeJhn » 28 Mar 2017, 23:23

I bought a set about eighteen months ago off e-bay and they are still as good as new, even though I have used them on mild steel as well as Oak, certainly better accuracy and finish than the traditional multi tooth type.

Mike
MikeJhn
Seedling

Name:

Postby justaskin » 29 Mar 2017, 06:59

Good write up Bob.
Personally I had more luck with the countersink version with the pilot drill, especially when putting down decking with out splitting it and wandering.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Return to Machines & Power Toolery