It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

Stuck Spindle block

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Stuck Spindle block

Postby riclepp » 22 Feb 2017, 19:53

Hi All

Hoping for some advice. I have a sip spindle moulder, and I have the cutter block stuck on the spindle itself and it won't budge. I have used plus gas and a hub puller to no avail. I am going to make a moveable triangle to the hub puller has something to bit on as the block it rounded and the puller slips off.

Has anyone had this issue and if so what did you do to free the block.

Many thanks

Richard
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Re: Stuck Spindle block

Postby 9fingers » 22 Feb 2017, 20:25

I would do whatever you need to to secure the puller on and apply tension.
It might budge with moderate mallet blows or if not, apply heat and increasing tension.

Good luck

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby kirkpoore1 » 23 Feb 2017, 06:04

Give it some penetrating oil and let it soak for a day. Is it rusty? Is the cutter on a threaded part of the shaft? Do your best not to bend the spindle.

Oh, and WD-40 is not penetrating oil. You can make your own with a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 23 Feb 2017, 08:27

kirkpoore1 wrote:........You can make your own with a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid........

Don't get that on your skin!!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby riclepp » 23 Feb 2017, 09:22

kirkpoore1 wrote:Give it some penetrating oil and let it soak for a day. Is it rusty? Is the cutter on a threaded part of the shaft? Do your best not to bend the spindle.

Oh, and WD-40 is not penetrating oil. You can make your own with a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

Kirk

Hi Kirk

I don't think it is rusty as I can't see any out the spindle Itself. I am hoping that it is only resin from the wood that is binding it. I have been using plus gas, which I have been informed is good stuff. I don't really what to hit the spindle in case it messing the rise and fall mechanism. So I am guessing I should heat up the block a little.

Cheers
riclepp
New Shoots

Postby riclepp » 23 Feb 2017, 09:23

9fingers wrote:I would do whatever you need to to secure the puller on and apply tension.
It might budge with moderate mallet blows or if not, apply heat and increasing tension.

Good luck

Bob

Hi Bob

It's an ally block, anything I need to be aware of in regards to heating ally, as I have never done that ever.

Cheers

Richard
riclepp
New Shoots

Postby Doug » 23 Feb 2017, 09:36

I'd have thought your best bet would be a bearing removal tool Richard, the hooks would go under the block & the bolt onto the spindle to pull it up.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2017, 10:21

riclepp wrote:
9fingers wrote:I would do whatever you need to to secure the puller on and apply tension.

Good luck

Bob

Hi Bob

It's an ally block, anything I need to be aware of in regards to heating ally, as I have never done that ever.

Cheers

Richard

No problem heating aluminium with "normal" blow torches. The coefficient of expansion of aluminium is about twice that of steel and it should release it nicely. Try to heat the block rather than the spindle anyway.

@Kirk Plus Gas is a well reputed penetrating fluid in UK I don't know if you have it on your side of the pond.
I've heard of the efficacy of the acetone/ATF mix but never needed to try it.
+1 regarding WD40. Good for driving off water but very average at most other jobs. It makes a reasonable job getting a good finish when machining aluminium if there is no paraffin (kerosene) to hand.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby riclepp » 23 Feb 2017, 22:22

9fingers wrote:
riclepp wrote:

Good luck

Bob

Hi Bob

Cheers

Richard

No problem heating aluminium with "normal" blow torches. The coefficient of expansion of aluminium is about twice that of steel and it should release it nicely. Try to heat the block rather than the spindle anyway.

@Kirk Plus Gas is a well reputed penetrating fluid in UK I don't know if you have it on your side of the pond.
I've heard of the efficacy of the acetone/ATF mix but never needed to try it.
+1 regarding WD40. Good for driving off water but very average at most other jobs. It makes a reasonable job getting a good finish when machining aluminium if there is no paraffin (kerosene) to hand.

Bob

Thanks Bob, will have a go this weekend.

Regards

Richard
riclepp
New Shoots

Postby RogerS » 04 Mar 2017, 08:35

Could you raise the spindle up to its highest extent which hopefully should raise the bottom of the block above the top of the spindle moulder bed. Then put some steel or thick wood underneath the block across the opening so it sits on top of the bed. Then lower the spindle and hope it frees up the block with a little judicious tapping on top of the spindle ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery