It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:52

Dust extraction upgrade

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust extraction upgrade

Postby Doug » 23 Feb 2017, 09:17

For a while now my my 4" dust extraction has been failing to clear the waste from a couple of my machines due to the machine ports being larger than my 4" ducting, so I figured the best bet would be to upgrade to 6" ducting.
First a heads up, I placed an order with http://www.dustspares.co.uk at the weekend & my order turned up yesterday, so not only very reasonable prices but also fairly quick delivery for such bulky items.

Not only that but they kindly threw in some freebies which are always welcome

There was also a mug but that had been pressed into service prior to taking the photo :lol:

I intend to run a similar set up to my existing 4" ducting as the flexibility it has given me has worked well, hopefully I can get on with this at the weekend so will post some photos up as I proceed.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Dust extraction upgrade

Postby Doug » 24 Feb 2017, 23:04

Managed to drop on to this this afternoon & made a start by removing the 2, 4" hoses that were attached to the front of the wood store & replaced it with a piece of metal 6" spiral duct this was connected to the extractor via a flexible hose & the metal duct earthed .

Im hoping the rigid pipe will help when moving the wood store as it pivots forward to access sheet material in the back, the previous 4" hose would catch under the base & foul the casters.

Previously the surface planer had been permanently connected to the extractor, as I'll only have one pipe now & will be using it for all the machines I needed to make a dust port that would be easy to connect to. I'd struggled to find 6" plastic connectors so ended up using off cuts of 6" underground ducting, this is the port.

This is the adapter I came up with to go from hose to dust ports, eventually it fit all the machines

Uprating the ducting finally means I can connect the bandsaw as it was meant, I utilised the Y piece that used to be connected to the extractor & connected both dust ports with 4" pipes.

The hose adapter fits snugly in the Y piece & there is a marked difference in the performance re the extraction from the saw.

Hammer in their wisdom have 120mm dust ports but by cutting down the original connector & fitting it inside another piece of pipe I managed to get up to the size of the adaptor

All that's left now is working out what to do with the extraction from the lathe & also come up with a storage solution for the trailing hose which at the minute is just hanging off a piece of 2x2

Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Feb 2017, 09:23

Very nice Doug

This has to be one of the first things I think of when I finally get the lid on my shop so very timely.

Do your machines move at all, any of them? That's one of the things I think I'm going to need to cater for as I don't think I'll have space for things to bout out in the middle of the floor.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Feb 2017, 10:37

Ooo...I do like a tidy looking duct system. The 6" will shift a nice volume too.

Good work.

I get my chipping bags from Dust Spares...they're a good company [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 25 Feb 2017, 10:55

Tidy Job Doug .. something I should have done years ago ! lol.

All my flexi hose is 4" tumble drier hose :oops:

but it works, well enough that I haven't got round to doing it properly
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 25 Feb 2017, 23:21

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Mark I try to get as much as possible on casters as it gives me maximum flexibility with the shop.

Most of my machine bases a friend has made like this on my thicknesser

The casters are from Rutland :shock: & im genuinely impressed with them the heaviest machine is my wadkin surface planer which must be 1/2 a ton & it wheels around freely.

The wheels on that are welded to a bar of 10mm steel & bolted to the planer, on other machines the frames are made of angle iron with the casters also welded on. I prefer this type of construction as there is minimal projection from the base to trip over.
The only machine I don't have on casters is the bandsaw because of the potential tip hazard, I've seen bases that alleviate this problem but they stick out a good way from the saw base & become a trip hazard.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 28 Feb 2017, 22:08

Lying in bed in the early hours of this morning unable to sleep my mind turned to extraction from the lathe as you do :shock: :lol:

This is the set up I have at the moment

It's a flexible W/C pan connector which is piped under the lathe to a port that I attach a hose to when using the lathe. It's worked quite well but can be a pain to get in the right position also as I don't want to reduce the new 6" pipework down I needed to come up with a new idea.

The first thing I've addressed is the positioning of any new hood, so with an idea of a stand in my head I popped over to my friendly engineering mate this evening & after sawing up some of his stock box section etc he kindly welded me this up.

It needs a little tinkering such as harwood plates fitting between the bolts & box section & perhaps some end caps but basically it functions well.

My intention is to make a hood that attaches to the stand & has 2x 4' hoses coming from it which attach to a 3 way adapter connecting the 2x4" hoses to the 6" hose but that's for another day.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2017, 08:39

Doug - for my Myford I had a rainwater hopper positioned behind the lathe and it worked well . A fair bit of my inspiration for dust extraction has come whilst prowling the drainpipes/ guttering/sewage pipe section in B&Q .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Andyp » 01 Mar 2017, 08:47

Watching with interest Doug. With two 4" hoses coming out of your hopper it should be the bees knees.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug » 01 Mar 2017, 10:19

tracerman wrote:Doug - for my Myford I had a rainwater hopper positioned behind the lathe and it worked well . A fair bit of my inspiration for dust extraction has come whilst prowling the drainpipes/ guttering/sewage pipe section in B&Q .
Steve

Same here Steve though not B&Q hence the toilet connector, problem is adaptable 6" drainage appears to be considerably more expensive :(
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 03 Mar 2017, 22:09

Andyp wrote:Watching with interest Doug. With two 4" hoses coming out of your hopper it should be the bees knees.

Cheers Andy, I hope so.
I've managed to do a little more in what has become a progressively busier week, :? this is the hood constructed & given two coats of paint I've also cut some Boxwood plates which take up a lot of the slack in the brackets & protect the box section from the bolts.

I need to make some sort of Y adaptor next to go from the 6" hose to two 4" hoses & then connect up the hood after which I can give it a try. :eusa-dance:

I've also found another problem this time with the table saw, the connection port on the saw is 5" but is reduced inside the machine to 4" which then connects to a shroud around the blade which restricts air intake even more,the upshot of this is the extractor isn't liking this amount of reduction, :cry: on the bright side it's something else to ponder between 2 & 4am which is fast becoming insomnia time for me :eusa-doh:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery