It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:43

Sander upgrade

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Sander upgrade

Postby Pinch » 03 Mar 2017, 22:07

I'm thinking about upgrading to Mirka orbital.

Any tips or know of any deals going I will be very grateful.

Cheers.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Sander upgrade

Postby Doug » 03 Mar 2017, 22:21

Which sander are you going for Paul ?

Several friends bought the Ceros a few years ago & I believe all of them had problems with them, I've not heard much about the Deros hopefully it has addressed those problems.

I'm afraid being a Festool junkie I wouldn't part with my ETS, well perhaps I might for the new ETS 8-)
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Mar 2017, 22:51

I bought the Deros a year or two ago...(the one without the transformer)...

And I love it.

I got it as a kit with extra discs and a hose in a yellow festool style systainer.

I was...tempted by the Festool ETS EC (I have green issues too) an excellent machine in its own right, but I preferred the top paddle control and the kit came with a 125mm pad. The top paddle can be configured as variable speed or on/off.

My only tip is ...there are four 2mm hex screws on the balance weight (part of the spindle arbor), which you add or remove to change the balance to your pad and backing pad preference (you'll probably only do this once). For some reason mine were ceased or set too tight, so I had to send it back. Hopefully it won't be an issue, but go ginger and whip out your posh Wera hex key or similar.

It's been great for my wrists and tennis elbow, it's so light, though sometimes it's nice to have a bit of weight behind you when you're sanding large panels or worktops. It stops on a dime...so you can pop it down without watching it hop along the edge or off the bench as it winds down! With Abranet it's a cracking system.

HTH

Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jimmy Mack on 04 Mar 2017, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Mar 2017, 22:53

PS...Rest Express are good for Mirka stuff...tho I think I bought the machine from someone else...

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 03 Mar 2017, 23:06

Issac lords were doing a few deals on Mirka gear at W16, don't know if their site is competitive
http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/catalogsearc ... ca&q=Mirka
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Mar 2017, 08:40

I have the Ceros and haven't had any problems with it. Great bit of kit IMO. I second Rest Express. Not sure I'd be swayed by packaged deals...the ones with packs of discs included...as I've got two boxes (fine grits) still hardly used..
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 04 Mar 2017, 11:27

Thanks for your replies and good tips chaps - much appreciated.

I was in limbo between the greens and the yellows, but as Mrs P has recently bought a yellow Mini, I thought I'd better stick with the yellow camp, but, my favourite colour is BRG :shock: :lol: Gosh I'm a right dafty me - sorry. Right then... seriously...

I did use a Ceros on a wooden boat project last year and I was very impressed, and the Abranet discs are a must have! I'm looking in Rest Express at this deal (below) and I'm assuming the transformer is included. It's shown in one of the pictures but no mention in the 'About' bit - unless I'm missing something. Is the transformer standard to the kit?

This deal seems pretty good in comparison to buying the peripheral stuff separately.

https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tml#SID=12

Also, I'm undecided with the real comparison between the 2.5 and 5mm orbital. Apart from the obvious, I can't really see the advantage with the 2.5 unless the work was always fine finish, which I would do by hand anyway - I think I've answered my own question. 8-)

So main question chaps... Is the transformer standard to the kit?

Many thanks.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 04 Mar 2017, 11:47

If you look in the second picture in your link you will see the transformer Paul

I'd also suggest you search WWUK for Ceros before buying one, just one thread I remembr

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... os#p131035
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 04 Mar 2017, 12:06

Reading the blurb it seems to be but perhaps a phone call to check

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 04 Mar 2017, 16:31

Doug wrote:If you look in the second picture in your link you will see the transformer Paul

I'd also suggest you search WWUK for Ceros before buying one, just one thread I remembr

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... os#p131035

Cheers Doug - yes, I saw that but not much to suggest in the description, although, the opening line quotes "The Mirka CEROS System 1 Kit contains everything you need to start sanding."

Thanks for the link - I haven't been in WWUK for ages. Hmmm, not good. I think I'll phone Rest Express and see what they have to say about this issue.

I'm now in a spin with router bits - forgiving the pun :lol:

My cutters are getting a bit tired and I'm going to upgrade these too. I would rather buy a set instead of individual cutters, but there are so many good makers to chose from. Rutlands are showing what looks like a darn good 66 piece set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCT-Professio ... 3641.l6368
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Mar 2017, 16:32

Rod wrote:Reading the blurb it seems to be but perhaps a phone call to check

Rod

Cheers Rod - I shall phone these guys Monday, unless they're available now. I shall have a look. 8-)

Edit: Mon - Fri. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 04 Mar 2017, 17:06

Pinch wrote:.....Rutlands are showing what looks like a darn good 66 piece set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCT-Professio ... 3641.l6368

I've never seen the words 'Rutland' and 'quality' appear in the same sentence.

Wealden every time, for me.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 04 Mar 2017, 18:53

Wealden for me too

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Mar 2017, 20:55

Paul, and others, what does the Mirka ROS do that the Metabo does not, I have had one for more than 10 years and it has been faultless. Even managed to sand 2 oak parquet floors in the girls bedrooms.

Is it just the quality of the abrasive sheets? Or the extraction? Or does it not leave the tell tale circular marks that all other ROS seem to leave. At the price the Mirka must do something extraordinary.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 05 Mar 2017, 08:32

It's a bit more wonga ... with the DEROS there's no bulky transformer and you get the 125mm pad kit and carry case.
Perhaps not a biggy if you have a permanent sanding station set up. See if you can try one at a dealers...I think Mirka have mobile demo reps...not sure.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 05 Mar 2017, 09:44

Thanks Roger & Rod - yes, Wealden are excellent makers. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 05 Mar 2017, 10:02

Andyp wrote:Paul, and others, what does the Mirka ROS do that the Metabo does not, I have had one for more than 10 years and it has been faultless. Even managed to sand 2 oak parquet floors in the girls bedrooms.

Is it just the quality of the abrasive sheets? Or the extraction? Or does it not leave the tell tale circular marks that all other ROS seem to leave. At the price the Mirka must do something extraordinary.

Cheers Andy, I have been thinking exactly that through last night. I've been using my old palm and random orbit for the last 5 years and they do do the job nicely. My random is now making weird noises but my palm is fine. I've been thinking about upgrading for a little while, probably since using a chap's Ceros last year - it's light, fairly quiet and so comfortable to handle/use. The 100% dust extraction when using the Abranet discs is an added bonus. I'm not sure if these discs are compatible with other machines - I haven't looked into that.

I'm not that keen on tall bulky randoms and I like my hand to be pretty close/flat to the work while sanding and I remember feeling this when using the Ceros, but yes, they're a lot of money and since reading the topic on WWUK, my head is slightly spinny, but only slightly. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 05 Mar 2017, 10:06

Jimmy Mack wrote:It's a bit more wonga ... with the DEROS there's no bulky transformer and you get the 125mm pad kit and carry case.
Perhaps not a biggy if you have a permanent sanding station set up. See if you can try one at a dealers...I think Mirka have mobile demo reps...not sure.

Jim

Cheers Jim, yes, I was looking at the Deros yesterday as well. I find the 'no external transformer' more appealing and I guess the Deros is the Ceros but without the bulky tranny? I think inviting a rep to the shop is an excellent idea - top banana! 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 05 Mar 2017, 21:13

Well, I've gone and dented my overdraft by £460 :lol:

I've bought the Ceros deal and a few other bits from Trend & Screwfix.

I better go and have a pint now! :|

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks for the tips chaps.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 05 Mar 2017, 21:21

... buzzing ...or you will be (boom-tish !)

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 05 Mar 2017, 21:27

Cheers Jim!

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Mar 2017, 16:21

RogerS wrote:
Pinch wrote:.....Rutlands are showing what looks like a darn good 66 piece set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCT-Professio ... 3641.l6368

And you didn't in this one either, unless I'm blind…

:lol: :eusa-whistle:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pinch » 09 Mar 2017, 19:48

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:

:lol: :eusa-whistle:

Cheers
Mark

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 09 Mar 2017, 20:14

My new sander arrived on Tuesday and I've set it up real nice in the shop with the transformer fitted out of the way near my Karcher vac - all lovely and cushty!

I've used it today for the first time on the oak top of the kennel project and it's produce a beautiful finish with the Abranet discs; operates so smoothly and lovely, all connected to the vac, no dust whatsoever, all sweet as a walnut, but... towards the end of this sanding sesh, I started to smell a burning rubber/oil smell - a bit like the smell of a burnt oily car engine. I haven't used it hard at all (not my style), nor pressed down hard or anything like that. This surely can't be right. I'm going to phone Rest Express tomorrow morning.

One of my old Makita cordless drills which is about 20 years old has never been used for heavy work (countersinking, pilot holes, small screws - that sort of thing) and in the last year, I've noticed it's letting off a similar smell, which I can only put down to its age. It's still working absolutely fine and will hopefully continue for more years to come. But why would a brand new high end sander let off a burny smell? Any ideas chaps?

Incidentally, my larger Makita cordless is only three years old and the batteries are losing their power almost straight after charge, so I've bought myself a new Metabo 18v 3.1ah twin bats and charger. I used to own two Metabo machines years ago and I forgot how superb their machines are until Andy mentioned them in an earlier post. My new machine will be with me in about 10 days.

Any ideas with the Mirka Ceros issue (unless this is normal) will be appreciated.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Mar 2017, 07:41

Pinch wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:[quote="Pinch"].....Rutlands are showing what looks like a darn good 66 piece set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCT-Professio ... 3641.l6368

:eusa-whistle:

Cheers
Mark

[/quote]
Sounds...or should I say 'smells'...odd.

I've no idea.

I don't think it is but...

...might be something to do with the rubber brake element, where the pad is tightened to the machine. This is a friction fit rubber skirt/ seal...I think you can adjust this (see Mr Manuel ). Have you had the pad off...to have a sniff inside?

A bit unusual. I'm sure Rest Express or Mirka can help.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery