It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:08

new machines

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

new machines

Postby wallace » 09 Mar 2017, 10:58

Look what got delivered yesterday :D A couple of lumps of wadkin

The blue one is the original version of the LQ recessor, it is dwarfed by its younger sibling.

It even has a DC motor :shock:

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: new machines

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Mar 2017, 11:59

Hell's teeth man, where do you keep finding these things??? Share the love! ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 09 Mar 2017, 12:36

TrimTheKing wrote:Hell's teeth man, where do you keep finding these things??? Share the love! ;)

Cheers
Mark

Where is he going to install them? The house will become a Wadkin museum, and they will move into the workshop. :lol:

Wallace, what exactly does each machine do?

Happy restoring! 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby wallace » 09 Mar 2017, 12:52

I got the recessor from ebay for the princely sum of £227 plus £60 courier. The lathe is from my secret source which I cant divulge, well not really it was from an old machine dealer in Bolton :D
Phill the lathe is pretty straight forward the other one is a recessor which can Bore, stair trench, rout, hold moulding heads, mill its quite a versatile machine.
I did have a little clear out recently and sold some machines but the money burnt a hole in my pocket.
I am on dodgy ground because my junk is starting to encroach on the nice part of the garden, and the wadkin factory block flooring really smells of bitumen/creosote and the Mrs cant open her windows.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 10 Mar 2017, 00:16

Wallace, the recessor (and it's younger brother) look like what would be called vertical borers over here. Beefier than most drill presses and with much more adjustable tables (reasonable if used for milling), but not high speed like an overarm router. What kind of RPM does the cutterhead put out? Are they single speed or multi-speed machines? Are these woodworking machines or more often used for metal work like a vertical mill?

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby wallace » 10 Mar 2017, 10:47

I think one of their primary roles was stair trenching, you can rotate the compound table 45 degrees and put the stair stringer on. I think they can bore 2" but wadkin made the LM borer with a table that could go really low. They are two speed with a max of 6000 rpm, You can also fit slot collars, square blocks and French heads for moulding. They seem to be used a lot for core boxes whatever they are. I think at 6000 they will be pretty good for moulding but not so good with router cutters. They are wood working machines but I have found some end mills in the box of tooling. They are 2 hp but came in 4hp for heavy use which the younger is. I just need to decide which one to keep for my self.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Commander » 17 Mar 2017, 06:30

Fantastic! Can't wait to see those restored to their former glory!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Return to Machines & Power Toolery