It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:04

Lathe ID please?

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Lathe ID please?

Postby Stoatally » 18 Mar 2017, 20:01

Very excited.

Picked up my first ever lathe today. Can anyone identify it?

What else will I need to get started? I believe it has MT1 taper and 3/4 16 thread.

Think I'd like a nice chuck for it and I really need some tools, so what would be best for a true beginner?

Also, bench mount, free standing butcalped to a bench or a dedicated lathe stand? What would anyone recommend? If this isn't incentive to pull my finger out and get the ensuore refit done so I can tinker I don't know what will be!

Stoatally
Seedling

Name: Matt

Re: Lathe ID please?

Postby 9fingers » 18 Mar 2017, 20:38

I would say it is a very early Axminster machine. even going quite a way back, Axminster had their own paint colours on imported lathes.

Blue is the earliest I can recall then yellow then white now red and white. That one looks like the generic green that the small time importers had as standard. before they got big enough to specify their own colours.

Axminster are generally quite helpful so email them a photo and maybe one of the old hands there will recognise it.

A round bed tube lathe will not be very rigid but light cuts and sharp tools should get you some acceptable results. Cut square stock into octagonal to help roughing stock to circular form.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 18 Mar 2017, 21:13

Matt, we don't have woodturning clubs here to the same extent as the UK. If I were you I would have a look at the AWGB website for a local club and get youself down there for some free advise and probably help with sourcing tools. You will also need some help and advise on how to sharpen them.

I purchased a set of 6 turning tools from Robert Sorby along with a Proedge shapening system and have not been disappointed.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby furnman » 19 Mar 2017, 16:00

my brother in law has the exact same lathe, it is badged as a nutool.
furnman
Seedling

Name: Mark

Postby Oldbill » 19 Mar 2017, 18:03

My first lathe was th badged version from Machine Mart. I think there were so many made under different names that spares should never be a problem. I bought an axminster chuck for it and when I upgrades my lathe I had to but an adapter for the chuck.
Oldbill
Seedling

Name: Bill

Return to Machines & Power Toolery