It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:52

Chop saw dust extraction.

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Chop saw dust extraction.

Postby Pinch » 29 Mar 2017, 19:26

Hello Chaps,

I've been working on a dust extraction programme in my shop recently, with one objective - making improvements! Apart from the table saw, a few chop saws, a small band saw and a small pillar drill, my machines are power tools. I have now sorted out a good dust extraction for all the power tools (including the jigsaw - video on its way!), the table saw, the band saw and now the chop saw. 8-)

The chop saw is a tricky customer for dust extraction and so I've adopted a neat little idea to minimise the fine particles of dust flooding the workshop with nasty contamination. It's amazing how good this really is. :P

I've put together a short film.

[youtube]emad4s8psHs[/youtube]

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Chop saw dust extraction.

Postby Mike G » 29 Mar 2017, 20:10

The film's clearly a secret!

I set my SCMS up yesterday outdoors, and then the wind changed direction. I spent the evening in great discomfort, wishing for bedtime to arrive so that I could finally leave my eye shut to sort itself out. Sure enough, in the morning there was a great deal of crustiness around it, including presumably the offending piece of sawdust and my eye was pain-free again. So your solution is awaited with interest here.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Mar 2017, 20:15

Neat!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 29 Mar 2017, 23:49

Clever

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Mar 2017, 08:18

Very clever.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 30 Mar 2017, 08:49

Clever indeed, but I guess the balance between having enough suck to dump the dust at the bottom of the enclosure while not sucking too much up into the filter is critical.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 30 Mar 2017, 13:54

What on earth are you people seeing? I've just got a blank white square.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 30 Mar 2017, 13:56

Mike G wrote:What on earth are you people seeing? I've just got a blank white square.

Same here (Safari on a Mac)
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Rod » 30 Mar 2017, 14:01

Works fine on Tapatalk on my phone.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Mar 2017, 14:29

Stargazer wrote:
Mike G wrote:What on earth are you people seeing? I've just got a blank white square.

Same here (Safari on a Mac)

Chaps

I'll say it again, the issue is with YOUR machines. Recently Google have effectively stopped supporting certain Flash completely now, as have many other browsers, and to defend against vulnerabilities such as Poodle, they have disabled support for TLS 1.0 and SSLv3 (internet comms/security protocols). If you are using a browser which still supports either of these things then you're going to have trouble because Google own YouTube and have turned off support for these protocols there too on their main sites (YouTube being one).

Google's approach is a little heavy handed because they're effectively telling people what they can and can't visit, but ultimately is done for the good of the wider community to help prevent a vulnerability from being exposed by those with nefarious intentions.

Simple fact is, TWH2 is working fine and as expected, if you want to be able to see YouTube videos that people post then you're going to have to use a different browser or take the latest upgrade for yours, assuming that is also secure enough for YouTube to allow you to see their content.

It works fine on tapatalk because that isn't limited by the deprecation of Flash support and thus isn't valid in the context of this conversation.

I have a Mac at home which is an old OS and as such in both Safari and Chrome I only see the white box as you do Mike, because I am on the latest supported version and they have ceased further development, so my only option is to upgrade my entire machine. On my work machine which is Windows 10 I can see the videos absolutely fine in both IE and Chrome, for the reasons mentioned above, they are current, supported and on the latest version.

If you want to be able to see all content on this site then sort your browser situation out as there's nothing I can do to fix it for you from this end.

Sorry if that sounds ranty but I'm getting a lot of negative vibes for the things that people can't see, and this one I need it to be understood is absolutely nothing to do TWH2 and I can do nothing to help, well nothing more than I have already.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Phil » 30 Mar 2017, 15:13

Certainly no problem from the bottom end of Africa where all the cables end.

Firefox on W7.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 30 Mar 2017, 15:17

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 30 Mar 2017, 15:41

If anyone is seeing strange behaviour like this you tube problem then don't immediately comment about it in the thread but instead press the quote button on the offending message and look at the content. There you will see the underlying code including links. Simply cut and paste these into your browser or you tube viewer. It is not rocket science and it save pi88ing mark off by implying there is a forum problem.
Simples!!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 30 Mar 2017, 17:53

Simmer, gents. No-one has implied that it is anything to do with the forum. I assumed that it was a simple balls-up by Paul. Turns out it isn't... The thing is, it's a different sort of non-show from those I've had before, with just a blank white square rather than the more typical little thumbnail/ icon thingy, so the immediate "it's my fault" reaction didn't apply.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Mar 2017, 18:43

Mike G wrote:Simmer, gents. No-one has implied that it is anything to do with the forum. I assumed that it was a simple balls-up by Paul. Turns out it isn't... The thing is, it's a different sort of non-show from those I've had before, with just a blank white square rather than the more typical little thumbnail/ icon thingy, so the immediate "it's my fault" reaction didn't apply.

Understood Mike, perhaps an overreaction on my part but I tried to explain it on the other thread last time and this is the same answer I'm afraid.

Google have been doing things over the past 2-3 weeks which has meant that my experience has gone from normal video view with a message below, to absolutely nothing showing, then to the white box you and I are seeing now, all differing symptoms of the same cause unfortunately.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2017, 20:18

Thanks for the replies chaps. 8-)

Good point Andy... I'm going to gauge the filter at regular intervals and see how it's doing. I think it will only extract the very fine dust which is what I'm hoping to achieve. 8-)

It's a shame some of you guys can't watch the film, but following Mark's instructions will no doubt get you there.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 30 Mar 2017, 20:40

Pinch wrote:Thanks for the replies chaps. 8-)

Good point Andy... I'm going to gauge the filter at regular intervals and see how it's doing. I think it will only extract the very fine dust which is what I'm hoping to achieve. 8-)

It's a shame some of you guys can't watch the film, but following Mark's instructions will no doubt get you there.

I watched it on youtube. That set up looks like it would work OK, but it takes up too much space to be applicable in my workshop.

Just as an aside, Paul, to you have a special blade in that saw to prevent tear-out? Can you use stuff straight off the saw in furniture?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2017, 18:29

Mike G wrote:The film's clearly a secret!

I set my SCMS up yesterday outdoors, and then the wind changed direction. I spent the evening in great discomfort, wishing for bedtime to arrive so that I could finally leave my eye shut to sort itself out. Sure enough, in the morning there was a great deal of crustiness around it, including presumably the offending piece of sawdust and my eye was pain-free again. So your solution is awaited with interest here.

I always keep an eye bath to hand for just such a situation.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2017, 18:44

Mike G wrote:
Pinch wrote:Thanks for the replies chaps. 8-)

I watched it on youtube. That set up looks like it would work OK, but it takes up too much space to be applicable in my workshop.

Just as an aside, Paul, to you have a special blade in that saw to prevent tear-out? Can you use stuff straight off the saw in furniture?

If you use a backing piece, Mike, then you shouldn't get any tear out. Or use a false fence that runs all the way along the back of the existing fence (well, front...but you know what I mean, I hope) and then make your cut. The saw will cut through the timber and also the false fence. That is also now your cut line and useful as a future aid but also the false fence should stop tear out.

I've probably explained this very badly...been a long day.

Re the Youtube viewing issue...I'm on Safari/Mavericks and also get the white square. Think I may have to bite the bullet and migrate to El Crappo. Last migration I kept Snow Leopard in a separate bootable partition as IIRC I had some software that wouldn't run on Mavericks (Adobe Creative Studio/Photoshop I think) but I rarely use any photo-editing stuff, never learnt Photoshop to do it justice and so have never booted once into Snow leopard. So this time I think I'll just bin it all (Mavericks and Snow Leopard) but just might take a spare bootable backup in case there is a Gotcha I haven't thought of.

Either that or buy a new Mac !!

Sorry, Pinch....bit of a thread jack there.

Brilliant solution BTW
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2017, 19:42

Cheers Roger - no worries matey.

Glad you like Mike. It works really well and it hasn't cost me anything to make apart from my time. A big advantage I have with this set up is the deep revealed window.

I've just started a new thread focusing on power tool extraction.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2562

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 31 Mar 2017, 19:55

RogerS wrote:........If you use a backing piece, Mike, then you shouldn't get any tear out. Or use a false fence that runs all the way along the back of the existing fence (well, front...but you know what I mean, I hope) and then make your cut. The saw will cut through the timber and also the false fence. That is also now your cut line and useful as a future aid but also the false fence should stop tear out..........

Yeah, it's the faffing around with that when you've a production run of cuts that bugs me. I just wondered if anyone had used blades that did this job cleanly, without having to find endless pieces of scrap.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2017, 19:59

Mike G wrote:
RogerS wrote:........If you use a backing piece, Mike, then you shouldn't get any tear out. Or use a false fence that runs all the way along the back of the existing fence (well, front...but you know what I mean, I hope) and then make your cut. The saw will cut through the timber and also the false fence. That is also now your cut line and useful as a future aid but also the false fence should stop tear out..........

Yeah, it's the faffing around with that when you've a production run of cuts that bugs me. I just wondered if anyone had used blades that did this job cleanly, without having to find endless pieces of scrap.

Sorry Mike, I forgot about that bit... I sometimes fit a finer tooth blade into the chop, but to be honest with you, the current blade works well with hardly any tear out. Operating the saw aggressively will produce tear out, so part of this is the feel for you tool and the piece you're cutting.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2017, 05:56

Mike G wrote:

I don't understand 'find endless pieces of scrap'. I will use a strip of MDF fixed to the fence and will use that for months unless I start making angled cuts or mitres.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Apr 2017, 09:08

It's a good idea Roger. I do the same on occasions. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2017, 13:35

I can see the clip (Chrome on an IMac) Nice idea if you uses a choppity saw, I don't - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery