It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:52

'Entry level' dust extraction

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: 'Entry level' dust extraction

Postby RogerS » 04 Apr 2017, 21:25

I've not read the Axminster stuff and so this might already be mentioned but I think that there is one key factor possibly overlooked and one that I alluded to but perhaps didn't make clear.

Volumes.

If you are a hobbyist/weekend woodie and so generate relatively little in terms of volume of chippings or dust compared to someone for whom this is a business and so generating much, much greater volumes then it probably doesn't really matter what system you choose and I would argue that a chip extractor is probably the best option especially if you are generating lots of chips i.e. a P/T. The fact that both chips and dust get mixed up in the same bag doesn't really matter because the volumes that you are generating can go into a black plastic bag and stuffed in the household refuse bin.

There's no getting away from it but P/T's do generate a lot of bulky waste. A Henry will get indigestion very quickly. Hence why people go down the cyclone route.

TBH I think that Andy's setup for a casual user is spot on.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2017, 21:51

RogerS wrote:I've not read the Axminster stuff and so this might already be mentioned but I think that there is one key factor possibly overlooked and one that I alluded to but perhaps didn't make clear.

Volumes.

If you are a hobbyist/weekend woodie and so generate relatively little in terms of volume of chippings or dust compared to someone for whom this is a business and so generating much, much greater volumes then it probably doesn't really matter what system you choose and I would argue that a chip extractor is probably the best option especially if you are generating lots of chips i.e. a P/T. The fact that both chips and dust get mixed up in the same bag doesn't really matter because the volumes that you are generating can go into a black plastic bag and stuffed in the household refuse bin.

There's no getting away from it but P/T's do generate a lot of bulky waste. A Henry will get indigestion very quickly. Hence why people go down the cyclone route.

I disagree entirely Roger...I suggest you do read what I writ 'cos I spent a long time researching the topic. 'Volume' is a big factor but it's the very finest dust that's the real danger and even the smallest exposure to the stuff is to be avoided like the plague if it's all possible, hence my eventual cyclonic system with the final exhaust from the Camvac directed outside the 'shop - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2017, 22:07

Stoatally wrote:..and what to use around the lathe...

You won't find anything to extract the chippings thrown off from the tool as they're directed towards the turner, so the best advice here is PPE; face mask, visor and a decent turner's smock. The Rutlands extractor you mention is unlikely to deal with the very fine dust thrown off by sanding as it depends on the efficiency of the cartridge filter (if it's fitted] so it's best not to rely on it capturing the fine stuff. I would wear PPE all the time you're turning and when you've finished, leave the 'shop for an hour, then come back and vacuum up the waste...don't ever use a dustpan and brush :o - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Apr 2017, 06:04

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:I've not read the Axminster stuff and so this might already be mentioned but I think that there is one key factor possibly overlooked and one that I alluded to but perhaps didn't make clear.

Volumes.

I disagree entirely Roger...I suggest you do read what I writ 'cos I spent a long time researching the topic. 'Volume' is a big factor but it's the very finest dust that's the real danger and even the smallest exposure to the stuff is to be avoided like the plague if it's all possible, hence my eventual cyclonic system with the final exhaust from the Camvac directed outside the 'shop - Rob

Where did I say that dust was not an issue ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery