It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:16

Jigsaw Dust Extraction and other power tools.

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Jigsaw Dust Extraction and other power tools.

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2017, 19:22

Evening All, :P

Since my recent video "Chop Saw Dust Extraction", I've made another film, this time focusing on the jigsaw with other power tools included. This film is 11:27 long with some interesting points which some might find useful.

[youtube]rCJaSI4wz3g[/youtube]

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Mod Edit: to help those who cant see the embedded Youtube links,
here is the full link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJaSI4wz3g

It would be helpful whilst this problem exists for some readers that posters also add the full link.
Thanks Bob
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Jigsaw Dust Extraction and other power tools.

Postby Andyp » 01 Apr 2017, 08:05

Clever stuff Paul.

I do recommend you look at adding some pipes or tubes to the Camvac exhaust ports. It will drastic reduce the noise without affecting performance. If you can run them outside fine, if not than this seems a very neat solution.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/camv ... 99639.html.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 02 Apr 2017, 09:07

Cheers Andy and thanks for the link - very interesting. 8-)

I thought I'll trial run it first and see how I get on with the noise level. I find it reasonably quiet in comparison to what I'm used to, so I shall see how she blows. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Apr 2017, 07:58

Nice study Pinch, the jigsaw (and CMS) are devils to extract and the built in systems are often poor after thoughts that do little more than restrict the movement, I've got a posh green jigsaw and the extraction (which is their forte) is hopeless.

Blasting the chips forward your method is the best way of collecting at source, how do you manage the hose? Is it awkward?

I wonder if you could have the extraction coming from the back with an adjustable beak, a bit like those directable coolant pipes you can get in engineering or a larger flexi-waste?

Jim

Ps. That's a fine looking sanding system

ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 10 Apr 2017, 09:15

Paul, that looks like a very neat solution. :D

My Makita has the dust extraction hole at the back and I bought the flexible hose to connect to my Electrolux.

It certainly does not suck up as cleanly as your solution. :(
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Pinch » 10 Apr 2017, 11:53

Jimmy Mack wrote:Nice study Pinch, the jigsaw (and CMS) are devils to extract and the built in systems are often poor after thoughts that do little more than restrict the movement, I've got a posh green jigsaw and the extraction (which is their forte) is hopeless.

Blasting the chips forward your method is the best way of collecting at source, how do you manage the hose? Is it awkward?

I wonder if you could have the extraction coming from the back with an adjustable beak, a bit like those directable coolant pipes you can get in engineering or a larger flexi-waste?

Jim

Ps. That's a fine looking sanding system

ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Cheers Jim. I don't find the hose awkward at all, but I have in the past with it trailing behind. In the film clip, the hose dropped off the work piece unintentionally and it didn't affect the cutting movement, mainly because it was also suspended on one my little hooky things. Having the hose suspended is a big plus for uninterrupted workability with no snagging.

Yeah, I think a flexi jobby from the back would work well, but (and without pitching my little bracket too hard :P ), I prefer the hose to be directly in front of the blade firmly fixed to the jigsaw. It really does grab 99.99% of the dust from the cutting. The bracket I made as shown in the film was for prototype purposes. I plan on making a much neater version. 8-)

Yes, indeed, a very cool sanding system - works a treat. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 10 Apr 2017, 11:54

Phil wrote:Paul, that looks like a very neat solution. :D

My Makita has the dust extraction hole at the back and I bought the flexible hose to connect to my Electrolux.

It certainly does not suck up as cleanly as your solution. :(

Cheers Phil. Your Makita probably has the two screw holes for the fence as well, like mine. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery